OC & Modding Thermal paste heat spread !

yogi7272 said:
Just yesterday resitted my cpu and heatsink ..This time used tuniq tx-3 which I found very difficult to spread evenly .. So just put one small dot in middle of cpu heatspreader and put the heatsink on it. MX-2 is much easier to spread than this tuniq tx-3 .. Got a temp drop of 2 degress though. So it varies for different TIM I guess..

Tuniq TX3 is an amazing thermal compound, quite possibly the best out there right now, but it is also EXTREMELY difficult to work with. It was so thick/hard that i thought there was something wrong with the sample i tried. Its tricky, but once you get it to work, its awesome.

kaneunderground said:
After shave lotions nail polish removers good old chemistry ethyl alcohol perfume guess anything which is highly volatile will work...

There is a difference between- 'whether something works or not' and 'whether something should be used or not'. :cool2:

The sooner we learn that, the better for us. :)

One thumb rule is that the liquid that u use to remove TIM shouldn't itself leave any residue layer. So considering this, I don't know how good something like aftershave lotion or deodorant will be.

BIKeINSTEIN said:
There is a difference between- 'whether something works or not' and 'whether something should be used or not'. :cool2:
The sooner we learn that, the better for us. :)

Bikey, being a senior member i expected a better reply from you. Your reply is not going to be of any help unless you expand on it a bit. You have in a subtle way mentioned what is good and what is not. For the sake of noobs and newbies alike, can you give the reasons for the same as well.
I asked in a earlier reply whether this (after-shave) was a safe method. Guys like you are in a far better position to answer these things man.

X method spreads the TIM more effectively then any other method.. but for coolers like Hyper 212 that have exposed Copper pipes, you might want to apply a bit on the pipes and then apply parallel lines of TIM on the heatsink and a small bb sized dot on the CPU...

With exposed heat pipes this works really well...

I've been using Artic Silver on my AMD Athlon and till date used only the dot method and then spreading it evenly using a visiting card :p Somehow the temperature is controlled for limited period and then the overheating starts all over again :( I guess I'm doing something wrong, can you guys please suggest what might be wrong?

Athlon has exposed crystal na ? [older athlon barton 32 and older]. Its risky to use AS5 on it. Get some metal oxide based TIMs like MX-2 or TX-2.

If its newer athlon 64, then it has similar base finish as todays PII/AII.

nish_pinto said:
i used deshi dharu(home made alcohol to clean the surface..:) works well and gives a superb shine!

is it offensive to make alc urself in household :D

I personally have had better temps with MX-2 compared to Thermal Fusion 400. But I agree the latter is easier to spread.

nish_pinto said:
i used deshi dharu(home made alcohol to clean the surface..:) works well and gives a superb shine!

Haha.. now people are getting real creative.... :p

phreak0ut said:
Somehow the temperature is controlled for limited period and then the overheating starts all over again :( I guess I'm doing something wrong, can you guys please suggest what might be wrong?

From what I had read, Arctic Silver is supposed to get better with time. It has break-in time unlike the metal oxide ones like TX2. Donno whats going wrong with your system.

phreak0ut said:
I've been using Artic Silver on my AMD Athlon and till date used only the dot method and then spreading it evenly using a visiting card :p Somehow the temperature is controlled for limited period and then the overheating starts all over again :( I guess I'm doing something wrong, can you guys please suggest what might be wrong?

Very Simple. Change the TIM :eek:hyeah:
Truely I have never used AS. But CM Thermal fusion 400 and tuniq had worked very well for me , ofcourse while solving problems for others..:clap:

nish_pinto said:

Deshi Daru - Home Made :huh: Kaha the itne din ..... Leave thermal spread lets start new thread .... Procedure please :eek:hyeah:

Back