PC Peripherals Thermal paste & Heatsink cleaning

Decius

Adept
Hi all

I have a AMD64 3000+

I recently sent my mobo for repair, so as soon i get it back i wud need to clean up my Heatsink of the residual from the old thermal pad dat came with AMD, now how do i clean up my heatsink and CPU of the old thermal pad that's stuck up on both. Which solution shud i use to clean them up? and i also wud b using Coolermaster Thermal Paste, will that be ok? I mean wud it be at par with the original thermal pad if not better?

btw one of my frenz used his aftershave for the cleanup job.. is it a viable option? thou i m very skeptical abt it.

Thnx in advance

Chaos said:
Just get isopropyl alcohol from any chemist shop and use that alongwith soft lintfree cloth.

I found some GOOPS difficult to remove with just isopropyl alcohol - Acetone cleans them off much better - but after using acetone it is advisable to do a final cleaning with isopropyl to remove the leftover acetone. YOU AGREE ?

Eazy said:
I found some GOOPS difficult to remove with just isopropyl alcohol - Acetone cleans them off much better - but after using acetone it is advisable to do a final cleaning with isopropyl to remove the leftover acetone. YOU AGREE ?

I was about to suggest Acetone when I read your previous post mentioning how a nail-polish remover is not the best thing to use.

What works for me is Acetone or Eau De Cologne. Both of these evaporate quickly, so there shouldn't be anything left over. Use a clean cotton hanky and wipe the surface if you're paranoid about any residue.

Thnx for the quick response :)

where wud i get the A-R grade Acetone??
btw no one replied about the Coolermaster thermal paste, no one ever tried it eh?

Decius said:
where wud i get the A-R grade Acetone??
btw no one replied about the Coolermaster thermal paste, no one ever tried it eh?

Coolermaster thermal paste = no idea - I only use AS

A-R grade Acetone = If you are in Mumbai - DAVA BAZAAR which is a continuation of Princess Street towards Crawford MArket.

@tracerbullet ....All perfumed products - these include nail polish removers and perfumes and colognes and after shaves - have some oils in them which place a layer over the contact points of the metals - It is mentioned in the Artic Silver pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
my dads workplace had it so i got it , though any quality would be good enough. If u still insist on getting the best then try your hands at paint shops , hardware stores , or the best bet , some chemical factory .

I still trust good ol bottles of Acetone n IPA :D

bought abt 250ml each, used them for my other cleaning purposes like cleaning dusty gfx cards, mobos, etc rather than cleaning HSFs :| so, just get 250ml each, Acetone n IPA. will help u gr8ly in day to day life too :D

SunnyBoi said:
I still trust good ol bottles of Acetone n IPA :D

bought abt 250ml each, used them for my other cleaning purposes like cleaning dusty gfx cards, mobos, etc rather than cleaning HSFs :| so, just get 250ml each, Acetone n IPA. will help u gr8ly in day to day life too :D

Hey Sunman ... careful with that Acetone its a solvent and it can melt and eat thru some types of pastics and some other materials and Alcohol can damage rubber.

well, i use acetone mainly to remove the commom sticky tape residue.....and ALWAYS use IPA to clean the gfx card, mobo, etc etc

Back