CPU/Mobo Thermal paste with chipset, A8N-E

janitha

Adept
I would like to know whether any of you have tried thermal paste with the chipset heatsink of A8N-E board. I wish to try since it is always hot and the fan spins at >6200 rpm and thereby noisy. Whether AS5 or MX2 will make it run cooler and if so how exactly to remove and reinstall the HSF?

Your answer might lie in this thread... if not, I guess the heatsink is mounted using plastic pushpins. Flip your board over and use a pair of nose pliers to squeeze each pin - the spring should automatically release the pin (else give it a slight nudge from the back until it releases).

RiO said:
Your answer might lie in this thread... if not, I guess the heatsink is mounted using plastic pushpins. Flip your board over and use a pair of nose pliers to squeeze each pin - the spring should automatically release the pin (else give it a slight nudge from the back until it releases).

Thanks, I shall post after trying it.

I changed my A8N-E's Chipset GOOP from the stock to Artic Ceramique and saw no difference in Temps !! ASUS apply a lot of white GOOP on the chipset heatsink, it was very messy to clean up :( You will need Acetone as well Isopropyl Alcohol to clean off the GOOP.

The Asus chipset hsf is so shiny- i wonder if its Al or just shiny chromed plastic as in cheapo toys.:rofl:

Eeven the cheapo Foxconn mobo had a nice, finned, matte finish Al hsf which looked machined out of a single block of Al. :p

Janitha- Do you have the A8NE rev1.0??
The Rev 2.0 boards came with a redesigned hsf and a lil slower fan iirc.

Can you post a screenie- Everest (maybe along with Asus PC rpobe and coretemp 0.94). :p
Also post your system specs/config pal- not in sig- no link to rig gallery. :no:

And usually one might not see any difference at stock/almost stock/idle speeds.
Its when you start loading/OCing that even minor improvements matter a lot at times. :)

@BIKeINSTEIN

Shall post the screen shots after downloading the SWs mentioned. Currently using only Speedfan and CPUZ.
Config-
A8NE (2.XX, Rev.A3 as per CPU-Z), A - 3000, 2x1GB Corsair, 6200, Antec 1050B with SP500

Had been using 92mm fan in the duct to blow towards CPU and 80mm front inlet (both Vantec Stealth) in addtition to built in Antec Tri Cool 120 rear fan. Recently after lapping the HSF (AMD stock) and applying MX-2 disconnected other fans except HSF, chipset and rear fan (lowered to 1200 rpm) and still the temperatures are lower than before and with very little noise. So thought about reducing noise further.
(All these just experimentation on rare occasions when I have nothing else to do!)
Never O/Ced so far but plan to, after next upgrade, just wondering C2D or the next generation. BTW no gaming.

Back