OC & Modding Thermalright HR-03 PLUS-Discussion

KiD0M4N

Skilled
Eazy said:
Who ordered the Thermalright HR-03 PLUS HS for the 8800 cards ? I am using this and can give suggestions in installing it as I have tried many ways of setting this up.

Hey Easy, the HR03-Plus is mine.

Have set it up with the sink in front of the card (and not around it.)

It is almost a perfect fit.

Idle temps at 60C (down from stock clocks @ 70C)

Running 657/1080/1566 stable clocks right now. Will remount and get the temps further down :)

Regards,

Karan

ps: will pm you pics... tc.

KiD0M4N said:
Hey Easy, the HR03-Plus is mine.

Have set it up with the sink in front of the card (and not around it.)

It is almost a perfect fit.

Idle temps at 60C (down from stock clocks @ 70C)

Running 657/1080/1566 stable clocks right now. Will remount and get the temps further down :)

Regards,
Karan

ps: will pm you pics... tc.

I have tried in front and behind with the fan blowing and sucking .... best temp is with fan in front and blowing onto heatsink... right now temp of 8800GTS at stock is 47C.... screen capture attached....

Using a 120mm fan in front of case to blow air over hr03 and cases back plates are removed foor hot air to flow out...

IMPORTANT: the ram sinks will not stay on with the stock sticky tape - they will fall off and create problems.... I have stuck the ram sinks with artic silver adhesive.... TAKE CARE this is a life long bond - ram sinks cannot be removed once stuck with ASA !!

vandal said:
Yeah. I would also be interested in seeing the fitting. btw the largest fan is a 92mm on this or can one go 120mm?

I normally run mine with a Vantec 90mm fan but I did try a 120mm fan attached with plastic ties but there was ZERO drop in temp :)

a picture of setup with 120mm fan....

vandal said:
This is getting interesting. Eazy could you post a pic of the AS adhesive pad you've used? Or is it an adhesive substance? Where is it available, gulbir?

I'm also getting an HR03 plus when my card arrives and would like to know the cons and issues with installing the cooler and the ram sinks.

btw do the ram sinks work? Cause they look like aluminium. Isn't copper better? Though that would corrode wouldn't it?

The AS Adhesive is a paste like AS 5 ... it comes in 2 tubes to be mixed equally - has to be used within 3 minutes of mixing.

Use AS Adhesive and make a permamnent bond and your GFX cards warranty is over :) ... no company will accept the card back for RMA .... except EVGA who say they will accept card for RMA as long as all original parts are returned :)

AS Adhesive sells at Prime for around 1200/- .. cannot remember exact price.

YUP ....the HR-05's alu heat sinks are quite pathetic but they seeem to get the job done @stock speeds - I dont OC so cant say about that.

About the fans on this HS... in summer I ran a Vantec 90mm Thermoflow fan which is 58CFM and got 50C - then I attached a Delta 90mm 90CFM fan and got 50C - next I attached the 120mm Vantec 53CFM and again I got 50C !!!! You may think some think is wrong in my getting the same reading but that is not the case as for every degree of temp drop the 8800 card does show a equalvalent drop in the GPU temp. The summer room temp was 33C and today it is 30C and the GPU temp is 3C lower at 47C.
@KiD0M4N - take care with the heat sinks 4 screws - I screwed up these screws badly and am getting replacements soon - they are very delicate - like thick needles...... I am right now using some stainless steel screws I found in a hardware shop. The original screws are a PITA as with the vibration of the fan they come loose - about half a turn a week with my light computer usage of about 5 hours a day. :mad:

KiD0M4N - Please ask a mod to make a new thread out of our posts on the HR-03 .... all this seems to be OT here....

Sandy said:
Eazy - you have a GTS 320 right ? can you tell me what speeds are they clocked at? And the 47C is at idle?

Stock clocks...513/792 .. yes 47C is idle - the RTHDRIBL (whatever) load temps are always about 5C higher.

68500723ek9.jpg

83949020qz3.jpg

@KiD0M4N ... the thermal paste which came with the heat sink gives me 2C higher temp then Artic Ceramique - I tried AS 5 too and saw only one degree drop compared to Ceramique. I have decided to use only Ceramique as the thermal compound on the HR-03.... mainly because it is cheaper and a lot of compound gets spread over the massive GPU :)

Within the short period I have used the HR-03 there is already quite a bit of GUNK collected on the fins of the heat sink and I have not been able to remove it... tried scratching/dislodging it off with tip of screw driver and also tried Acetone and IPA but nothing removes the sticky GUNK ... anyone have some sane suggestions ? This GUNK is collecting at the place on the fins where the air from the fan first flows on the heat sink.

@ Eazy-
Ain't the Vantec UV led fan 63cfm?:ashamed:

And how about some toothbrushing with good quality petrol to get the gunk off followed by IPA to get the residue/smell off?:ashamed:
(Try on a small side fin or something to see if it stains/tarnishes/corrodes the metal)

BIKeINSTEIN said:
@ Eazy-
Ain't the Vantec UV led fan 63cfm?:ashamed:

And how about some toothbrushing with good quality petrol to get the gunk off followed by IPA to get the residue/smell off?:ashamed:
(Try on a small side fin or something to see if it stains/tarnishes/corrodes the metal)

Maybe - but I tried the Vantec Stealth which has a slower speed.

I did try a toothbrush too with no luck (I have a tooth brush in my computer tool kit :D ) - the GUNK is a tough cookie. I do not want to try stuff like petrol/lighter fluid as the heat sink is attached to the GFX card - could create problems.

MAN everytime I remove the heat sink and reattach it and have to replace the thermal coumpound about one quarter of the Ceramique tube seems to get used up :O So I am being a little careful and not removing the heat sink too many times.

ohh- then definitely not- i thought you were cleaning it off the card.

As it is, any dust left over since summer turns gunk with our kinda humidity.:(

Pre-monsoon cleaning is such a must- lotsa frnd reposting cold boots or no boots.:O

OHHH MAAAN !!!! I put up the picture of my HR-03 PLUS's GUNK problem in another forum and the consesus is that the cause is corossion of the metal of the fins by a combination of pollutants, dust and high humidity !!! I HATE MUMBAI's high humidity....

a picture of the problem......

Back