Thermometer to measure body temperature

Ssreek

Adept
I am looking for a thermometer to measure body temps, especially something accurate and non-contact/forehead-based measure type.

I have a child who won't allow using the standard Digital thermometer, and it's not always possible to measure when he's asleep.
I came across this type of thermometer, it seems convenient enough. A local clinic and a small hospital were using one of these, but they say these are inaccurate, but ironically, they won't use mercury based and instead use the standard digital thermometers.

Omron also sells similar to these, MC-720. Omron has a good name regarding reliability and accuracy, I am leaning towards this.
But the priority is accuracy and convenience. Let me know your suggestions if there's anything better or if this is enough.

Last edited:
Nowadays most doctors use IR thermometers since it avoids the need for sterilization between patients and is more convenient, even with uncooperative patients. Generally, Omron is well known for its medical devices. Whatever you buy, keep measuring your child's forehead temperature for a few days when he is healthy to determine the normal range of his body temperature as per your new device. Then you can more reliably identify if he has a rise in temp during sicknesses.

Do not use mobile (cellular) telephones and other devices, which generate strong electrical or electromagnetic fields, near the medical device. This may result in incorrect operation of the unit and create a potentially unsafe situation. Recommendation is to keep a minimum distance of 7 m. Verify correct operation of the device in case the distance is shorter.
Note that temperature measured at the forehead may still be influenced by other conditions, such as sweating, or wind from an air conditioner, etc. It is therefore advised to perform measurement in as stable an environment as possible.
When measuring the temperature of an infant, note that infant body temperature is generally higher than adult body temperature and easily affected by external factors. For example, body temperature tends to increase after nursing or crying. Therefore, it is recommended to take measurements with the infant in calm and normal condition.
Omron MC-720 User Mannual

The most accurate ones are contact thermometer because there is very less room for error but that is not feasible in your case.

You can look at ear IR thermometers.

Also, children at times (mainly due to increased activity/crying) have a little higher body temperature as compared to adults which is normal.

All the non-contact thermometers have plenty room for error as stated above by @blr_p.

I'm using something like this since 10yrs now, working satisfactorily.

IRs are costly and imho are good to have if you have many frequent flu patients in family esp. with weak immunity where monitoring is a must even at the slightest body temps.

I'm using something like this since 10yrs now, working satisfactorily.

non-contact/forehead-based measure type.

I have a child who won't allow using the standard Digital thermometer, and it's not always possible to measure when he's asleep.

Same case with mine.. But slowly he has adapted to it and now is less fussy about it.
I would advise stick with the digital ones and keep trying.. Left arm-pit is the best location to take the temperature IMO.
Also a pediatrician told me once that arm-pit temperature reading is 1 degree fahrenheit less than actual body temperature so keep that in mind too.

So it is not suitable for the purpose or produces incorrect temp?
Try it and compare it with a contact thermometer so you can learn the differences

It's always better to have more than one way to measure

I think in a lot of cases it would be fine but you need to be aware of its quirks

I've found another thermometer, Beurer FT 65, this seems to function as both contact (ear) and non contact method. But the brand is unknown to me and I'm skeptical if it would be as popular/accurate as Omron. Let me know if someone has experience with the same.

I've found another thermometer, Beurer FT 65, this seems to function as both contact (ear) and non contact method. But the brand is unknown to me and I'm skeptical if it would be as popular/accurate as Omron. Let me know if someone has experience with the same.
That is a good brand.. Im using its digital thermometer since last year and it works fine

It's not bad I have an oximeter by that brand

You wanted non-contact but this one offers both so that's interesting.

I am not exactly sure of your requirement. Do you need to measure forehead/skin temperature or core body temp? I dont know any practical use case of the former. For measuring whether theres any fever you have to opt for core body temp (inner mouth or rectum too, for child armpit is fine though), and I dont believe any IR thermo would work for accuracy. Unless something has changed in recent years and these are now capable on measuring non-skin temperature.

I am not exactly sure of your requirement. Do you need to measure forehead/skin temperature or core body temp?

I'm not particular about measuring forehead or skin. The requirement is to measure body temp and clear the confusion of fever.
For my case, the usual 200 rupees digital thermometer didn't suit. Hence searching for a better accurate alternative.

I dont know any practical use case of the former. For measuring whether theres any fever you have to opt for core body temp (inner mouth or rectum too, for child armpit is fine though), and I dont believe any IR thermo would work for accuracy. Unless something has changed in recent years and these are now capable on measuring non-skin temperature.

I have similar doubt about the same. Can IR work so accurately? During those covid days, most companies just bought that non-contact gun type thing and used it on everyone. I recall, once there was a customer with just 2 points more temperature and he wasn't allowed in a mall.

Anyway, you mean to say only 'contact' thermometers will work accurate?

Anyway, you mean to say only 'contact' thermometers will work accurate?
Yes sir. And after speaking with many doctors theres a consensus that the old mercury ones work more accurately than the digital ones. Although I personally have switched to digital just for the sake of convenience namely the less time for measuring.

Here's an update..
Bought the Omron thermometer. Compared with contact based thermometers and this is quite accurate.
There are couple of flaws though, but still convenience and accuracy was my preference. I was confident about getting this after seeing this being used in 2 of the corporate hospitals in our city.
Need to see how long it will last.

Attachments

• omron.jpeg
    omron.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back