They're gonna make a pirate out of me!

Naga

Skilled
I missed out on gaming for quite some time due to work so was looking to buy some games. But it seems all the games I wanna buy have some sh*tty DRM or the other. For e.g. I was looking to get Deadspace and just read that I can do a install only five times. Yeah, I know everybody else knows about it, but I was out for quite a while :) .

Anyways, I'm still gonna get it but anybody have any info if the protection will interfere with installation/ gameplay on Windows 7 x64?

Regarding the thread title, I declare right here that I won't ever rant against any one pirating games, ever, DRM or no DRM ! Idiots doing this sh*t don't realise that the only ppl having any trouble with their "security measures" are the ones who never buy their games :no: .

@Sharekhan, why spend money at all if I'm gonna end up dloading a pirated version? If I do dl it, I'm sure as hell not gonna pay.

I did do something of a kind once, though. I had a legit copy of Far Cry which I wanted to try out on XP x64 due to the bonus content for x64. The game wouldn't even start without a NoCD crack! The publishers later put out a patch which got rid of the DVD to be inserted for playing "feature" but by that time I was bored with the game :). That was a different scenario as I'd already bought the game but no way I'm gonna buy something knowing full well I have to dl another copy to play. No siree, I'm not that sanctimonious :p!

SharekhaN said:
How about you buy a copy for yourself, but play with the pirated copy. Thats what I did with my GTA IV...

That's an ingenious solution to a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

@TS
I hear ya...

Thats exactly what i did with my copy of GTA 4. After installing the game i found out that i have to create 3 online accounts and link them up and only then i would be able to play the game??? I waited for a week and then downloaded the Nocd crack to play the game(Though my original discs are intact but creating 3 accounts an linking them is too much a hassel)..

Developers should understand that DRM and other protection is harming original buyers like us only, the pirates always found a way or another to get pass the protection.

For Dead Space, It's only a small "mod" to bypass the DRM. Buy the game & then apply it. Shouldn't be much of a problem. It doesn't have Multi-player, so you should be safe on that count as well.

I had so much trouble with "starforce" or something like that, shitty protection scheme UBsoft has "infected" their games with some time back... too much f**king pain just to play game. I remember it was particularly nasty in POP:TT... there were couple of instances where that thing would close my game in middle of playing, then it wouldn't launch and give me protection blah blah error. Then the only way to play the game was restarting the damn PC and play... oh, and forget about the point it threw you out at, play from that last f**king checkpoint.

So I downloaded the obvious version, used the obvious tools to patch and play... but then how do I utilize the money I spend on buying the turd-f**king original DVD?...

I gifted it to someone I had bit of grudge on... yeah, share my pain sucker... :bleh:

greenhorn said:
arr matey! Welcome aboard :D
My stand against piracy still stands :eek:hyeah: ! I'm still going to buy the games that won't have such stupid restrictions. I've read on wikipedia that sales were quite low for Deadspace due to lots of criticism regarding the install restrictions. Would it be asking for too much to hope the game publishers would've learnt their lessons?

Regarding the present scenario, no way I'm going to buy something knowing fully well that I'll have to "mod" it to run it to my satisfaction :no: !

Well it's either that or you'll have to live with it. The only people playing it rather safe (or experimenting) are Ubisoft. For some reason, their past couple of games (barring Wheelman) have no copy protection at all.

Naga said:
My stand against piracy still stands :eek:hyeah: ! I'm still going to buy the games that won't have such stupid restrictions. I've read on wikipedia that sales were quite low for Deadspace due to lots of criticism regarding the install restrictions. Would it be asking for too much to hope the game publishers would've learnt their lessons?

No, you aren't asking for too much.Infact StarDock has released Demigod without any anti-piracy measure at all except the game-key check while playing online.You don't even need a crack to play it.

For me, i think thats the way to go.Because DRM or no DRM pirates still gonna crack their way through.

Naga said:
@Sharekhan, why spend money at all if I'm gonna end up dloading a pirated version? If I do dl it, I'm sure as hell not gonna pay.

I wd have donated half the amount of that game to charity and wd have written abt the same to the game developers.

Seriously.

Played the game for Half (not HALF bad takes a new meaning here) and the money didn went to the stupid studio as well but to some needy.. that wd have gotten me rid of any guilt.

The mail thingie prolly wd have vented out my frustration as well.

The thought of the expression on their faces after reading the CRISP mail wd have been priceless :tongue:

look at what happened to the so called ucrackable games like chronicles of ridick and alone in the dark they got cracked if you gonna go get the original verisonon of those game u will surely be restricted

Naga said:
Regarding the thread title, I declare right here that I won't ever rant against any one pirating games, ever, DRM or no DRM ! Idiots doing this sh*t don't realise that the only ppl having any trouble with their "security measures" are the ones who never buy their games :no: .

Ah atlast :eek:hyeah:.And now i take back my words :cool2:

Back