This madness and hype around M1 chip should stop

The hype around M1 is real and is valid. This does mean that one should sell his perfectly working MacBook for M1 without verifying, in detail, compatibility with existing hardware/accessories/software. My friend's MacBook died one fine day earlier this year. He was thinking whether to buy M1 Macbook. I told him to wait another year for M1 ecosystem to fully form and till then, I asked him to use my Mac Mini. He is using that mini now and when the time is right, he will switch to M1 Mac.

Isn't it easier with an ipad and a keyboard ( for word processing)?

It can be. It depends on personal preference. I own iPad (but no keyboard) and MBA M1 too. I see myself going to iPad more for 90% of things as it is just more convenient. So much so that, at this point, I feel I should have rather bought the Air 4 rather than the iPad 8th Gen. I am sure with the USB C port, it would have got very very close to being a pseudo laptop replacement. But still I feel iPadOS may not be as good as a Laptop OS (Doesn't matter it is windows or Mac).
Nonetheless, for a casual user who wants the 'Apple Status' in society and does nothing more than watch YouTube, pirate movies, I think M1 Mac is overkill. ......

However, if people wanna buy a Macbook for nothing more than media consumption, I think an iPad would be great for them! Maybe a little bit of word processing can be done too.

I agree with you here. I don't buy for Apple Status and bought MBA only because I wanted to buy one since long. And for me, I feel it is overkill but since I had means to buy, I went ahead.
I do own iPad and agree that for media consumption, it is a superb device and if someone is buying only iPad and no MBA etc, I would recommend buying Air or Pro.

Isn't it easier with an ipad and a keyboard ( for word processing)?

The thing is, one might still need a laptop for some use or other. And hence, for someone like me, I would rather buy a LG Gram or a MBA and end up spending less.
My thought process might be different from others and the days might not be far when there is no difference between a laptop and an iPad, especially with what Apple seems to have planned.

Your viewpoint with regards to M1 MBA/MBP not supporting legacy hardware/software is similar to what I have with all new laptops not supporting Windows 7. But the thing is that companies will do what's best for them and we can only hope it works for us.

There are many threads about external mics not working in 2019 MBPs. You don't need one or it works for you doesn't solve the widespread issue.
If you are on Mac only and Logic is the only DAW that partially work, what else do we have to work with audio?
Okay... We are going down the rabbit hole and it is your fault.
Issue no 1: T2 chip introduced latency into the realtime audio processing.
  • I still standby my word that it’s totally made up bullshit.
  • T2 was never in the data path. The secure enclave in m1 mac handles the storage like raid but only for onboard devices. never handled usb devices.
  • In the video: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10686/ they described how the dma changed and how devices now have isolated memory space for improving security. This will break/slow older drivers if they don’t follow these rules. it is a tradeoff between legacy support and security.
Issue no 2:
  • there are a lot of changes to the scheduling in the newer macs. especially because the cpu are bot symmetrical anymore. aka big.LITTLE architecture this means developers especially who do things like real-time audio-video processing need to properly specify their thread priorities this is clearly documented here: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/apple-silicon/porting-your-audio-code-to-apple-silicon
  • now if the audio applications have issues then they have to fix them and simply using rosetta isn’t going to work.
bottom line... Products like albleton need to be validated in a test environment before switching the workflows. just like we validate new systems in a test data center before putting them into production.
who is to blame? apple or software companies. it’s easy to blame apple because “clicks”.

ps: i am not an apple developer so i dont know many things about apple. infact it’s only since late 2019 that i started tinkering with apple.

I don't know who is at fault and I'm no one to pass a judgement on that.
But it's true some microphones do not play nicely with Apple's systems since 2013, it reached the peak with the 16 inch MBP clearly targeted to a segment who deal with audio/video. I don't know if it's the T2 chip or what but some very popular ones from Shure and Neumann stopped working. I witnessed at least 2. In the second studio the techie guy is working for 5 years or more, he even fixes old Lexicon reverb units. Even he couldn't fix the mic issue.
Ableton is not worried because most of their customers on older Macs and PC is very happy with the Live 11.
Apple is still struggling with their own LPX, how can you expect Ableton to deliver a flawless product? Everyone thought rewiring will break, but it's working with LPX being master.
It's purely my guess and I may be completely wrong...companies like Ableton, Steinberg, Native Instruments and Avid ( equally adamant like Apple) will do nothing to make M1 native softwares unless these chips show up in iMac or Mac Pros and studios start buying them...that day may never come if Apple keeps on making Intel machines for their bigger computers. That will be a disaster for small home studio owners who can't afford a Mac Pro.
It's possibly a lot of work..so much so that even bigger companies like Native Instruments may struggle to recover the cost.
Ableton is an extremely smart company. Live 11 was possibly the most anticipated DAW this year. This is the first time they have a proper comping available ( and boy!! They implemented it so nicely!!!)
They must have had some sort of market survey of what percentage of M1 Mac users are using Ableton ( given the quality of Ableton videos on M1 Mac it's clear not many is using it for a long time or just using pirated version...in India 95 percent of Ableton users were using cracked Live 10 and Ableton has no issues with piracy)
But it's my imagination running wild..
That T2 chip is not so innocent after all.

Last edited:
who is branding who again?
For everyone who don’t have context. our friend here started personal attacks and when he started getting a taste of his own treatment started whining like a b**ch.

you need to get off your high horse. this is exactly how the smoothbrain got his ass handed to him. condescending tone is what triggers me.
you posted a video from that guy who started claiming that t2 handles audio signal processing and other things which are absolutely bullshit.
@puns why does this post which started the whole fighting and name calling stay up when others which didn't do anything but just called out his/her arrogance got deleted? How did this contribute anything on the topic being discussed and how is it not classified as abusive, offensive, personal attack, and against the forum rules?

Last edited:
One thing I can confirm is the racist attitude of the firangi apple store Dubai sales staffers towards Indian customers.

My friends and I could feel the difference in store peoples attitude to such an extent over our 3 visits that we swore we would never step into any apple store again.

SORRY for OT post but I had to get this off my chest.

One thing I can confirm is the racist attitude of the firangi apple store Dubai sales staffers towards Indian customers.

My friends and I could feel the difference in store peoples attitude to such an extent over our 3 visits that we swore we would never step into any apple store again.
That is disgusting tbh. No company should be able to do that. Did you put it on social media?

That is disgusting tbh. No company should be able to do that. Did you put it on social media?
It's not the kind of stuff you can make videos out off. I would call it a kind of covert racism, you know, the kind where they run over to westerners/arabs, greet them and help them by actually engaging them in conversation, but act busy and uninterested when we enquire, to make us feel like we are not welcome in "their store".

Btw I did not experience this in any other brands store but then, only apple store in Dubai Mall has majority gora staff, so there is that.

SORRY for OT post but I had to get this off my chest.
Really unfortunate. But it's in culture of Dubai and most of middle East. Write a polite letter to Apple US fully describing the situation.
Some undercurrent of racism flows everywhere, but if your email lands with some non white Apple US officials ( there are plenty of them, some at pretty high positions in the corporate ladder including few Indians) these assholes may land up in a big soup. PM me if you need name to tag one particular Indian engineer placed very high up @ Cupertino.

It's not the kind of stuff you can make videos out off. I would call it a kind of covert racism, you know, the kind where they run over to westerners/arabs, greet them and help them by actually engaging them in conversation, but act busy and uninterested when we enquire, to make us feel like we are not welcome in "their store".

Btw I did not experience this in any other brands store but then, only apple store in Dubai Mall has majority gora staff, so there is that.
It’s sad and unacceptable...
Having said that but I sometimes feel that what gets perceived as racism in a commercial establishment may not always be racism.

If you go to say an Istanbul, store staff will drop interest in Westerners and give you special treatment - not because racism but because most Indians they have seen are upper middle/ rich tourists (and thus greater likelihood of closing a sale) vs their observation that western tourists heading to turkey are typically students and backpackers on a budget..

Is the above justified or right - hell no
But the root cause is likely less insidious than a Racist attitude.

Istanbul reminded a strange incident, it was a gift store in Hoca Pasa, the store had some beautiful Turkish lamps and they were pretty expensive for casual gifts.
My wife liked them very much and we went inside the shop. Those people simply refused to show us anything as we look like hippies ( long hair, beard, shorts, beads and all) They were not even interested in talking ( we even tried with our few friendly Turkish words, the guys there fully understood French and some English)
Thankfully we were renting a taxi, we came out of the store very disappointed, now the cab driver got really angry ( a young proud Turk with decent English and a metalhead) he stormed inside the store and went on a with a very rapid rant about Turkish tradition of treating guests properly specially if they are from another country etc.etc.
The store manager came out and apologized profusely and we ate a fantastic meal of meze and Kuyu kebab in a nearby joint. There he explained us, how many white shoplifters they had to deal with earlier almost on a regular basis. I told him I'm from India which he simply refused to believe!!
It wasn't really racism and ended well but could have gone very wrong.

Back