PC Peripherals Timing mismatch betn two sticks of 512Mb RAM

I had one stick of 512Mb DDR 400MHz Transcend memory (A).
couple of days back I bought another stick of 512Mb DDR 400MHz
Transcend memory (B).

Problem is that the timings differ between A and B.
A : 3-x-x-8
B : 2.5-x-x-7

both at 200MHz. when I check the Memory details in CPUZ the RAM speed shows 157MHz (CPU/14). I tried to set the timing of RAM in BIOS to 2.5-x-x-7
so that both remain the same. but the Memory speed is still 157MHz.

In BIOS if I change the memory setting to manual, the memory speed shown is
333MHz (166MHz). I will attach some screen shots in the evening.

Whats the problem here and how do I sort it out? :(

hmm... I think I have tried that, but cpuz still shows mem speed as 157MHz (CPU/14).
right now in office will attach a screen-shot when I reach home.

Confusion: when I set the mem speed to 400MHz (in Manual), it means that the clock is still 200MHz right? similarly 333MHz = 166MHz clock.

yeah thats right. set the mem speed to 400mhz in the bios with timings of 3 4 4 8 as rave suggested.

For mismatched ram sticks it would be a good idea to raise the vdimm slightly, which usually aids in stablity in this case. Around 2.75-2.8 is quite safe for generic ram. yes, and make sure you have the the ram @ DDR400 in the bios or 1:1

i dont really think 3-4-4-8 is necessary 3-3-3-8 should work fine. make sure you use memtest after you have fixed the problems to make sure everything is 100% ok

KingKrool said:
Spiteful Pentium, which proccy mobo do u use? Cud this be the famous A64 socket 754 problem at work?

yes, it is A64 3200 NC 754 on ASUS K8NE Dlx.
whats the famous problem? and btw found out that the second slot is
giving some problems. will check further when I have more time.

Well, what happens is if you use two RAM sticks, then the second one MUST be single sided, otherwise speed will drop to 333 Mhz. This is a problem with A64 socket 754, since corrected in socket 939. There is no fix but to follow the following chart (and even then some mobos have a problem)
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/MotherBoard/FileList/FAQ/faq_amdguide.jpg

Gigabyte offers bios updates for some models, but as far as I know, Asus has not for the model u have, but do check up anyway.

Since it only operates at 333, the speed u shud get (if u are using double sided RAM or whatever us shudn't according to chart) is 166 Mh, and u are getting a bit lower than that for some reason (might just not be reported properly, or some memory controller screw up)

ok just went through the gigabyte chart. by rank does it mean side in layman's terms.

then 8x64Mb (single sided) = 16x32Mb (double sided) = 512Mb.

as for the bios update by asus will check up. and both cpuz and clockgen shows the speed as 157MHz.

sorry if i am stealing this thread but my problem is very similar to spiteful pentium's problem i already had 1 gb (2x512) of ram running at 2.5-4-4-8 in dual channel mode , a few days back i got another pair of ram (2x512) running at 3-3-3-8 on alternate slots now on checking cpu-z it shows that the rams are running at 159.6 Mhz with a timing of 2.5-4-4-7 . I have a intel original 865 gbf motherboard, is there anyway i can make the rams to run at 200 MHz, previously when i had only 1 GB of ram it was running at 200MHz . I dont know much about computers so any help(step by step) to improve the performance is appreciated .

thank you.

i have changed the timings in bios to 3-3-3-8 after which i get memory frequency of 199.6 mhz in cpu-z ,one more small doubt there was an option "CRC" in the bios and it had three option under it auto , enable , disable .what should i do enable it or leave as it is on auto.

unfortunately for me changing the timings in bios to 3-3-3-8 or 3-4-4-8 (and changing the VDIMM to 2.7) has not worked.
Freq is still 157MHz. Looks like i'll have to ask the dealer to switch to 512 Mb single sided RAM. Is it available? what's the price difference.

dont think bios upgrade will change things or else they would have done it a long time back. latest is 1009 final. 1010 beta is also available for download.

damn ASUS!

So now running CPU at 2400MHz, (220x11). RAM is about 171MHz. BAH!

sorry if i am stealing this thread but my problem is very similar to spiteful pentium's problem i already had 1 gb (2x512) of ram running at 2.5-4-4-8 in dual channel mode , a few days back i got another pair of ram (2x512) running at 3-3-3-8 on alternate slots now on checking cpu-z it shows that the rams are running at 159.6 Mhz with a timing of 2.5-4-4-7 . I have a intel original 865 gbf motherboard, is there anyway i can make the rams to run at 200 MHz, previously when i had only 1 GB of ram it was running at 200MHz . I dont know much about computers so any help(step by step) to improve the performance is appreciated .

thank you.

Go to bios by pressing Del key when u boot

go to the hardware TAB by using the arrow keys

select chipset configuration and press enter

now, now there will be an option called memory timings or something like that

select that and chage it to manual [again by using arrow keys ;) ]

now change the FSB to 200 and ur done ;)

u can also mess with the timings, just tweak it and make them as low as possbile, if ur not too comfy with it, just set this option Auto, and ur done :)

@sck: Set it to 2.5-3-3-7. It should work without issues ;)

@SpitefulPentium.... There's ntn much u can do... The single channel A64 can only run @DDR333 with two DS sticks on most mobos on which u cant force it to run @DDR400. On the DFI there's an option and it runs two 512MB/1GB sticks without issues. But on a K8N/K8N-E Del, there's no such option. It auto scales it down to 166MHz even if u set it to 200 in the bios :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back