Tired of youtube ads, can we block them somehow ?

^^ Stop your stupidity please and stop talking out of your ass about things you have absolutely no understanding of.

You don't have to give your data to google. You always have the option of not using Google's software or services.

In fact, Facebook too gets their revenues in a similar manner to Google and people use Facebook too.

But the day Google tries to introduce a program similar Facebook's free basics, they will face the same backlash.

Facebook's Free basics is directly harming me and everybody else regardless of whether they have anything to do with free basics or not. Its directly meant to use a large number of non-tech-savy and free lunch loving people to polarize the internet and to kill any company that they don't want around.

Would it be fine if somebody comes to you and tells you that in exchange for letting him piss in your mouth every day, he will provide free lunch and dinner for a 1000 people (who btw can already afford to get a meal for themselves)? Would you accept their terms? Its a good cause after all.

Want to give free internet? Let them sponsor a plan that allows people to use all of internet unrestricted. In fact let them fund it through Ad's and let them show all the Ad's they want to. Me or nobody else has a damn problem with that.

And this is ignoring the point that anybody who can buy a basic internet capable device can also afford to get a basic internet plan to go along with it.

Tell this to people who are revolting against free basics.

The cost being levied on those people for Free basis is not acceptable to them. Its as simple as that. As I said, nothing come for free, but you don't have to accept the cost of a service if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Facebook's Free basics is directly harming me and everybody else regardless of whether they have anything to do with free basics or not. Its directly meant to use a large number of non-tech-savy and free lunch loving people to polarize the internet and to kill any company that can be threatened by.
Really? Let a person who does not have internet answer this AFTER he gets internet connection. Why are you talking on behalf of someone on the streets who does not have any inkling about internet and what not!

Secondly, you talk of killing neutrality. How can you be so sure that project loon won't morph into something similar in the near future?

And oh, no one is forcefeeding you. Don't use free basics if you don't want to. Why are you putting your opinion in someone else's mouth?[DOUBLEPOST=1452615648][/DOUBLEPOST]
The cost being levied on those people for Free basis is not acceptable to them. Its as simple as that. As I said, nothing come for free, but you don't have to accept the cost of a service if you don't like it.

Classic case of conflict of interest

Last edited:
Facebook's Free basics is directly harming me

That's the point. This is a classic conflict of interest. You and many others FEAR that their companies would get wiped out totally if this plan is implemented. This is the sole reason for this whole backlash.

P.S- I am not pro or against free basics. However, I am with the governments Digital India program and last mile internet connectivity is absolutely mandatory for this scheme to be successful. I want to understand why are people against the notion of free internet.

Captain obvious, I gave you an analogy already. Would you let somebody piss in your mouth every day if he says that he is going help 1000 people (lets say free internet). Would it be acceptable to you to let those 1000 people decide for themselves whether this guy pissing your mouth is alright to them? Do you think you should also have a say or would you let them decide how many times he can piss in your mouth or whether he can/should also shit in your mouth?

The point is very simple. No start up in India (or anywhere else) that tries to step on Facebook's toes would be allowed to survive. They have formulated it such that they have complete control. Imagine that 80% of the people in the country start using free basics. Some startup in India comes up with a Facebook alternative that is much better than existing options for the Indian context. Facebook will simply not allow it on Free basics no matter what (even if they are willing to sponsor their own usage costs) since Facebook retains absolute control over the program, so the companies market is already limited to 20% who are willing to pay for their internet. That 20% is also not isolated. They still need to communicate with the rest 80%. So, whether they like it or not, they are forced into using a platform that is also usable by the 80% which would be Facebook. So a choice has been forced on 20% who are not using Free basics and a promising startup in our country got killed thanks to Free basics.

As I said before, nobody is against free internet and there are better and perfectly reasonable ways to do it as repeatedly suggested. Facebook simply is not interested in providing free internet and those potential free basis users (who as per your view have not experienced internet at all) have no right to decide by themselves how the internet is going to change and what cost all of us have to pay. Also FYI, I have argued in favor of zero rating programs in the past as long as they are transparent and everybody has equal access to enroll. Free basics does neither.

Last edited:
As I said before, nobody is against free internet and there are better and perfectly ways to do it as repeatedly suggested. Facebook simply is not interested in providing free internet and those potential free basis users (who as per your view have not experienced internet at all) have no right to decide by themselves how the internet is going to change and what cost the all of us have to pay.
What are your views on Project Loon?

I am already pissed by the way Facebook is manipulating my whatsapp data.
Every contact that I save on my phone turns up on my Facebook friend suggestion, if the person is on whatsapp.
Does it happen to others??

Every contact that I save on my phone turns up on my Facebook friend suggestion, if the person is on whatsapp.
does not happen to me. i have all my office people added in phone and most have whatsapp. however have never had any office person being suggested as friend.

Do you use Facebook app on your phone, there is an option to sync contacts or keep your contacts updated/synced something like that

I think I confused some people.
I uninstalled both FB app and messenger past 8-10 months.
I did not believe this till i came across a quora answer on how facebook uses whatsapp contacts(Data mining).
I could not find that link though.

But yes, whatsapp is somehow "STEALING" contacts
I got this friend suggestion in my inbox 2 weeks back. I had saved my local ISP's number and pinged him on whatsapp.
FB.jpg

The very next day, this friend suggestion hit my inbox.
Note that I do not have a mutual friend for FB to make such suggestion.

Following is thread indicating a similar situation
Facebook suggesting Whatsapp contacts
Permissions.jpg

Strange that I noticed it so late

Yes Ive been getting friend suggestions on fb too... But I dont think they are from whatsapp contacts, and I havent synced my contacts to fb.

Yeah, ad free YouTube aka YouTube Red, and yes, major chunk of revenue generated for Google is through Ads (is anyone even surprised? :p)
And, I think FB is a lot more invasive/aggressive in terms of using the user's data.

Back