Laptops To Vista or not Vista: that is question

superczar

Skilled
Just a quick poll....
How many of you have already upgraded/moved to Vista...if yes, your take on it

If not, are you planning to?, if yes, how soon?

Or are you happy with your current OS..If yes, what is it that you use...(i know the answer will be overwhelmingly in favor of XP, still :) )

I am planning to run the RTM for a couple of weeks and then take a call on whether to pick up an upgrade pack (The pricing is expected to be announced in a couple of weeks)

Would love to hear your take on it :)

I will shift as soon as I get another hdd :eek:hyeah. Can't spare 20gb right now :ashamed:
Edit: Am on XP now, and will put Vista on a separate disc altogether. Will not bother with dual-boot :p Much easier to remove a OS this way.

i am using vista on both.. my desktop laptop. it works flawlessly. runs faster on laptop with AERO interface.. but the laptop system rating is just 2.00 cause of graphics is 2.0 & others are 5.5+

If you are moving from Windows XP then you might find Vista bit slower. If you play games then you might get lower FPS as compared to XP. Vista still has some driver issues. If you like blue candy and stuff then you will like Vista as it has got lot of blue candy stuff like Aero, Flip 3d etc. I didn't find much which I liked in Vista apart from Media Centre and Instant Search.

Checkout benchmarks comparing Vista and XP:

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown | Tom's Hardware

AnandTech: Windows Vista Performance Guide

Im on vista and have been using it now....close to 8-9 months. Running smooth without any probs. Infact I find it more stable than my XP, which had bugs even after 2 service packs !!

I used the Vista RTM release on my laptop for about a month, and then let me just say time stopped and then there were a few more days. Finally I decided to call it a day for Vista, reverted back to Windows XP. My laptop wasn't capable of running Aero, so there is one reason to not use it. However, I don't have any valid reasons to say no to vista directly, it just ran fine with no issues whatsoever. I just like Windows XP for the time being for the simple reason it is not too resource hungry. If you have a recent purchased notebook with decent configuration,, Vista is really your best bet. Have fun.

I've got an 80GB drive ready to Vista, but I will continue to XPee... most of the programs I use will probably not run in Vista.

will go for Home / Home Pre, but after I get a Dx10 GCard (specially 8600 model) and 1GB RAM.... till then 'NO'.

I am very very happy with my WinXP64.

COOL, this is my 1000 post.

Am on vista almost completely, XP is still there but havn't used it in weeks.

But all i am doing on PC right now is surfing and occasional media playing, nothing more, and it's working flawlessly for those till now.

Waiting for my 64-bit Ultimate copy to arrive, would need another Gig of ram as well. Will make the final switch by April/May :)

I gave up last night and installed Vista on my A64 Desktop and the C2D XPS laptop....

First thoughts,

The final version is far better (less bloated and faster) than the Betas

Surprisingly, the laptop is showing increased runtime on battery on Vista which goes contrary to what I had expected...

Both the systems do not feel any slower than XP.... though I believe this could be due to the fact that both these machines have 1 Gig RAM each and fairly capable processors

All in all, seems good so far....

hey are you guys buying the vista (or rather have u bought & installed it) ?

I used a Vista upgrade DVD but do not have any product key for now...I'll use it for 15-20 days and then take a call on whether to purchase a license or to remove it...

superczar said:
I gave up last night and installed Vista on my A64 Desktop and the C2D XPS laptop....

First thoughts,
The final version is far better (less bloated and faster) than the Betas

Surprisingly, the laptop is showing increased runtime on battery on Vista which goes contrary to what I had expected...

Both the systems do not feel any slower than XP.... though I believe this could be due to the fact that both these machines have 1 Gig RAM each and fairly capable processors

All in all, seems good so far....
I used a Vista upgrade DVD but do not have any product key for now...I'll use it for 15-20 days and then take a call on whether to purchase a license or to remove it...

so where can I get this vista upgrade dvd from ?

tarun said:
If you are moving from Windows XP then you might find Vista bit slower. If you play games then you might get lower FPS as compared to XP. Vista still has some driver issues. If you like blue candy and stuff then you will like Vista as it has got lot of blue candy stuff like Aero, Flip 3d etc. I didn't find much which I liked in Vista apart from Media Centre and Instant Search.

Checkout benchmarks comparing Vista and XP:

Windows XP vs. Vista: The Benchmark Rundown | Tom's Hardware

AnandTech: Windows Vista Performance Guide

hehe...I meant eye candy...what a typo :eek:hyeah:

Back