Toilet Hygiene- Freshener suggestions to counter odour

ashish

Adept
Hi Guys

I'm looking for a low-cost and a effective suggestions toilet freshener.

In winters I think due to the dryness caused by dry weather, the toilet tends to smell a lot irrespective of how best we clean and maintain it.

This isn't the case during summers and rains.

Till now we are using those odonil and aer sachets but they are only effective during the initial days and thereafter no fragrance even though the packet is just 40-50% and yet to evaporate fully. I fell those are completely useless.

I dont want to spend a bomb on this but need an affective solution as we are ashamed especially when friends and guests visit us.
If its a homely solution it will be even great!

This might be the first such post but I'm sure many out there might be dealing with this unpleasant exp.

Use Harpic flush tabs (requires the flush tank to be easily accessible). Reduces the smell.
Scented naphthalene tablets work wonders.
Ask users to do a partial flush after doing their deed. Install flush tanks which allow you to do a partial/short flush.
Install a very good exhaust fan, preferably a silent one, and keep it on when you are entertaining guests.

Buy Patanjali Gonyle (Floor Cleaner) Rs.60/- a liter bottle, pour 25% in any but empty 1 Liter bottle, (best is package drinking water bottle) feel other 50% or 75% with plain water, pierce bottle cap 2-3 mini hole, whenever use toilet, after wash, just squeeze bottle and sprinkle that liquid and done.

If want good fragrance for long period use pure Gonyle without adding any water, in place of Gonyle use any good fragrance liquids like Dettol, Cologne Water etc.

Some Expensive this and like this

Last edited:
give a try to cheap naphthalene ball. buy original and in handsome quantity to get is at low rates.

This post of mine is after a gap of six years

I have tried naphthalene balls too but the impact is same as those odonil. They either evaporate too fast or its scent just vanishes.
Its expensive both on the batteries and the refill. If it was rechargeable or on AC DC then would have been better but seems there's no innovation on that part and even if it comes with inbuilt rechargeable battery or directly on AC/DC thing it will cost a bomb again.
Buy Patanjali Gonyle (Floor Cleaner) Rs.60/- a liter bottle, pour 25% in any but empty 1 Liter bottle, (best is package drinking water bottle) feel other 50% or 75% with plain water, pierce bottle cap 2-3 mini hole, whenever use toilet, after wash, just squeeze bottle and sprinkle that liquid and done.

If want good fragrance for long period use pure Gonyle without adding any water, in place of Gonyle use any good fragrance liquids like Dettol, Cologne Water etc.

Tried this too but spraying it on tiles and the toilet has resulted in discolorisation on both.

Last edited:
In winters I think due to the dryness caused by dry weather, the toilet tends to smell a lot irrespective of how best we clean and maintain it.
That is your problem - no amount of spraying perfume or using toilet cleaner will help. Just keep the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and sink lines wet as much as possible.

Is it toilet in ground (indian toilet) or a western toilet? You can keep the toilet wet by draining the washing machine water into it if possible. This will clean the toilet pipes and remove the smell coming from decomposing buildup in the pipes. Another problem is, if pipes are always dry, they become like an outlet for the sump tank gases to come out. So even if your bathroom is extremely clean, if the pipe allows gasses to come out of it, it will smell bad. Plus most builders don't make the required gas traps when building houses. Whether its for kitchen, bathroom or sinks, i don't see gas traps installed in new or old homes. Western toilets have an advantage that they have an s shape which acts like a gas trap.

I bought this Zimmer Aufraumen Room Air Freshener in august and i only used 1/3rd of a liter of the 1 liter perfume i made from the 1st bottle. It's very strong and effective. The spray pump i got with it failed within 2 months of use so i used old colin spray bottle. Use Ro or distilled water (boil water 2-3 times) to make it instead of tap water. Tap water has bacteria in it and will make the water smell.
edit: if you buy the product, try to use gloves while handling the concentrate. I didn't use gloves and got a drop of the diluted stuff on my fingers and it burned a lot. Even when i spray the perfume and some liquid manages to leak now and then, it burns a bit even now. So be careful.

Last edited:
Tried this too but spraying it on tiles and the toilet has resulted in discolorisation on both.
we are using Patanjali Gonyle since 2-3 years, but never noticed any such issue. If you are using hard water than try to add Filter/RO Water to dilute.

If the source of the smell is from your own bathroom, of course you would know and cleaning it is the only viable solution. So assuming the source is from the sewer / piping system, have you tried drain covers like https://www.amazon.in/LVZGR-Anti-Smell-Silicone-Deodorant-Multicolor/dp/B0B6GL3LR8 ?

In one of my previous homes, ancient property, I had this problem. One of the plumbers I consulted brought something like that, maybe much less sophisticated than what Amazon is showing. And it reduced the problem by half.

That is your problem - no amount of spraying perfume or using toilet cleaner will help. Just keep the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and sink lines wet as much as possible.

Is it toilet in ground (indian toilet) or a western toilet? You can keep the toilet wet by draining the washing machine water into it if possible. This will clean the toilet pipes and remove the smell coming from decomposing buildup in the pipes. Another problem is, if pipes are always dry, they become like an outlet for the sump tank gases to come out. So even if your bathroom is extremely clean, if the pipe allows gasses to come out of it, it will smell bad. Plus most builders don't make the required gas traps when building houses. Whether its for kitchen, bathroom or sinks, i don't see gas traps installed in new or old homes. Western toilets have an advantage that they have an s shape which acts like a gas trap.
what kind of toilet do you have @ashish ?

If there is a smell coming from the pipes then maybe some drain cleaner might be help.

You can also use Godrej aer power packets. Costs 100rupees, each sachet lasts for a month.

1701858735576.png

Keep two potted plants -- one Lavender and the other Eucalyptus -- in such a place in the bathroom that they receive sunlight for the longest duration during the day. This combination is effective at removing odours from the bathroom. Be warned that this will also remove a lot of the fragrances from the other chemicals that you spray/release in the bathroom, so try it exclusively in the bathroom before you commit to it for the long term. Just keep watering them and trimming them, as and when required.

what kind of toilet do you have @ashish ?
I have both western and indian/persian ones and the issue is for the persian ones.

If there is a smell coming from the pipes then maybe some drain cleaner might be help.
The smell only comes after someone sues it and takes a good 20 min to normalize irrspective of how much water we throw on the seat and floors and use the flush.
Keep two potted plants -- one Lavender and the other Eucalyptus -- in such a place in the bathroom that they receive sunlight for the longest duration during the day. This combination is effective at removing odours from the bathroom. Be warned that this will also remove a lot of the fragrances from the other chemicals that you spray/release in the bathroom, so try it exclusively in the bathroom before you commit to it for the long term. Just keep watering them and trimming them, as and when required.
No sunlight in the toilet unfortunately.
You can also use Godrej aer power packets. Costs 100rupees, each sachet lasts for a month.

View attachment 184722
Tried these and mentioned int the start this only works for say a week or 10 days therefater useless.

One important point to add is the toilet is just three yrs old. Renovated the house incl. bathroom and toilet fittings etc.

Last edited:
I have both western and indian/persian ones and the issue is for the persian ones

The smell only comes after someone sues it and takes a good 20 min to normalize irrspective of how much water we throw on the seat and floors and use the flush.
I suspect there is no trap with your squatting toilets. So any draught coming from the opposite direction ends up stinking up your toilet. Could this be the case?

Is some sort of plug for squatting toilet available? It needs to be air tight and fit like a sink plug.

Not a joke... your family needs to clear stomach/motion/gut using some sort of pills/powder for constipation/gas etc.

Not a joke... your family needs to clear stomach/motion/gut using some sort of pills/powder for constipation/gas etc.
Joke? and what about the friends and other relatives who come over? So you advising to give them a dosage of scented isabgol or kayam churna ?
I suspect there is no trap with your squatting toilets. So any draught coming from the opposite direction ends up stinking up your toilet. Could this be the case?

Is some sort of plug for squatting toilet available? It needs to be air tight and fit like a sink plug.
What plug you talking abot?

I stay on the topmost floor and no quesiton of shit coming from the above direction to stuck and cause the stink.

I spoke to our plumber and he said every care has been taken during installation and if anything was messy then it could have caused leakages, drain not getting emptied properly and few more which I couldnt recall.

Last edited:
Are you sure it's the desi toilet that's stinking? They have P-traps and if installed properly, there's no chance they'd let the sewer gases to back up into your house. Check from outside of your house if the breather/vent pipe is installed properly.

Do you have any other drains in your bathroom? If yes, then check their water traps and corresponding breather pipes. All drains should have working water traps and the breather pipes free of blockages. Even a faulty washbasin trap can let the sewer gases leak. Floor drain covers with magnetic valves are quite helpful if the bathroom is not used frequently.

If this problem has started after the renovation then you know there's some faulty installation. If it happened recently then some water trap isn't working or the breather pipe is blocked.

In the meantime, make sure the wall on which the exhaust fan is installed has no openings, so that the fan can do its job properly. Air fresheners may mask the bad odors but they are not the solution for leaking sewer gases. An exhaust fan is a better option here.

Back