Tomato firmware on Buffalo WHR-G54S

Techlover

Disciple
Hi,

Few hrs. back I installed Tomato firmware ver. 1.23 on my Buffalo WHR-G54S, it is communicating with my laptop wired & wireless. Now the problem is I have connected this router with DSL of hathway connection. In tomato I have kept WAN as DHCP & I am not getting connected to internet, Tomato doesnt pickup the IP, DNS, DG etc from DSL. Can any one help me setting up the internet on above config? I don't have DG & DNS of Hathway as they have instructed to use the settings as DHCP in router. Please help.

Thanks.

SS for your ref.

1. Status of router
2. WAN Config windows

Sorry about ss quality due to size restriction.

Attachments

• Stat.jpg
    Stat.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 167
  • WAN Conf.jpg
    WAN Conf.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 143
The settings in the above screenshots are accurate. But I wanted to see screenshots of the rest of the WAN configuration page.

See the above screenshots. You need to key in the correct:-

1. VPI/VCI Range.

2. UBR mode

3. Select PPPoE connection type.

4. Enter PPPoE username and password.

A good way to find out all of these settings is by hooking up your original router(provided by hathway) and copying the settings from there.

Good luck.

P.S. :- You can always post high quality screenshots by linking to external image hosts.

Techlover said:
It's DSL & not ADSL, in DSL it doesn't require PPPoE, UBR etc.

VPI/VCI identifiers and Connection type(UBR,PCR,VBR) are related to the ATM network. I'm quite sure you need to provide these settings, regardless of the DSL type.

Hathway provides SDSL? Why? Are they nuts?

Hayhway provides DSL modem & in settings you just have to keep Obtain IP & DNS Automatically, that's it. No other settings & it start's working. If you attach DSl modem to router, in router again keep settings as DHCP in WAN config. & it obtains all settings from the modem.

My Buffalo router was working ok except intermediate disconnection in WiFi. So I tried Tomato & here in DHCP it's not working. In status window it shows "Renewing". Some how just now I found the static IP of Hathway & used those in router, now status window shows "Connected", but still net is not working.

Techlover said:
Hayhway provides DSL modem & in settings you just have to keep Obtain IP & DNS Automatically, that's it. No other settings & it start's working. If you attach DSl modem to router, in router again keep settings as DHCP in WAN config. & it obtains all settings from the modem.

My Buffalo router was working ok except intermediate disconnection in WiFi. So I tried Tomato & here in DHCP it's not working. In status window it shows "Renewing". Some how just now I found the static IP of Hathway & used those in router, now status window shows "Connected", but still net is not working.

I've really run out of ideas now. You could always revert back to your original firmware and use some sort of signal booster.

Even i am using Hathway's internet with WHR-G54S modded with the Tomato firmware. It will not get the IP address automatically.

You will have to call up the customer care and ask them to provide you with your IP address. They moved to DHCP just recently. Just tell him that you have bought a new router and it needs the IP address to work with the internet, otherwise the customer care says that they do not provide support for other routers. So just tell him that you need the IP address settings.

I have manually entered the IP settings in my router configuration and the internet works perfectly for me. Full speed via WiFi as well as the ethernet cable.

alsiladka said:
Even i am using Hathway's internet with WHR-G54S modded with the Tomato firmware. It will not get the IP address automatically.

You will have to call up the customer care and ask them to provide you with your IP address. They moved to DHCP just recently. Just tell him that you have bought a new router and it needs the IP address to work with the internet, otherwise the customer care says that they do not provide support for other routers. So just tell him that you need the IP address settings.

I have manually entered the IP settings in my router configuration and the internet works perfectly for me. Full speed via WiFi as well as the ethernet cable.
I tired the IP, it shows "connected" but still it's not working.

tomatoconfigtg0.png

Have you set it up like this?

The first thing to do it turn of your computer, your modem and your router for 10 minutes. Turn on the computer and the router. Configure the router as shown in the screenshot.

Call up the customer care, and ask them to reset your modem and inform them that you want to bind your new router, he will start the proceedings from his side, although it is done automatically too, but this one also works.
Turn on your modem. The internet should be working through the router now.

Also, make sure your LAN card is set to automatically get the IP settings, as your router is DHCP enabled.

Yes I have done the same way, it shows connected in status window but I think it's not binding, Ok let me talk to hathway people to reset it & try. Thanks, I shall update you.

Yes I have done the same way, it shows connected in status window but I think it's not binding, Ok let me talk to hathway people to reset it & try. Thanks, I shall update you.

You will have to call them up and intiate the binding process too.

Back