Torn between LED/LCD Vs. Plasma

deesync

Recruit
Jun 15, 2013
I have been doing TV research for the past few months. Have been reading a lot online as well as visiting showrooms in Bangalore.

Visits to the showrooms were too much and I asked the sales helpers to play a video file from a pen drive. Sometimes I went to the same showroom to 'review' the same TV and some people are quite frustrated with me for demoing the TVs and not buying anything yet. I don't think I can afford any more showroom visits. :)

A quick brief about my needs:

40-50" TV in for 1.2 Lakhs or Below. That's it.
Can control lighting conditions suitable for plasmas.

After learning that Plasma TVs are much better than Edge Lit LED LCD TVs in the market, I demoed some Plasma TVs. My biggest concern is that models like Samsung 5 Series Plasma have some flicker like the old CRT monitors which used to run in 60Hz. I used to change it to 85Hz in the old CRT computer monitors because I couldn't stand the flickering. Also fast moving images blur and there is no "motion flow/motion plus". Some say that that's how movies have to be watched but I am used to the smooth flowing images and can't watch a movie without that.

Edge Lit LED LCD TVs in Samsung and Sony have smooth flowing images but they don't produce true blacks and are not even full array LED lit. But I am still OK because it has the smooth flow. So if I shouldn't go to plasma, my options would be.

Sony 42W800A - 80k
Sony 47W800A - 1Lakh.
Samsung 40 7 Series (F7500) - 1 Lakh
Samsung 46 7 Series (F7500) - 1.3 Lakh (Out of budget)

I am NOT OK with Sony W650A because though the specs show that it is 200Hz motion flow, there is no such thing in it. I am a motionflow addict and I KNOW IT! This fact has made me lose that loving feeling towards Sony.

But I am still willing to consider a Plasma based on your replies as long as you convince me about the issues of flickering and motion blur.

51" Samsung 8 Series Plasma (F8500) hasn't been released in India yet. Previous 8 series (E8000) has been discontinued. 64" 8 Series Plasma looks good and has been launched but that's too big for me and out of budget. Should I wait for 51" Samsung 8 Series Plasma?

Sorry for the long post and sorry for not sticking to the template. This is more about Plasma Vs. Edge Lit LED - LCD TVs than seeking advice on which model to buy.

- deesync.

deesync

Recruit
Jun 15, 2013
Bought the Panasonic 42" GT50D Plasma

Drop dead picture quality and no motion blur (may be because of 2500Hz FFD).

Anyone want a review from me? Let me know.

Bought at Panny dealer in B'lore for 88k.

Reactions: Tinbed and gurujee

Ravenlord

Recruit
Jun 21, 2013
Glad you went for the plasma! Panasonic is really known for its plasma: I have a 42" Panasonic as well but about half as expensive as your model -- I got it for gaming (works better with fast moving gunfire cos of better refresh rates) and never regretted taking plasma (don't believe all the marketing these companies do to push their low-quality LCDs)!