Torrent :PORT: Trouble

Hello friends,

I was planning to download huge files over torrents but i m experiencing very slow speeds at times(mostly @ 5-7 kb/s){i have a 256 kbps connection}. Also, my BT client shows NAT/Firewall error, and so does Azureus. I have chosen port 11111 for my Torrent clients....now how do i open this port to allow incoming traffic?
I dont have any firewalls running ATM, even Windows Firewall in having some error and shows that it cannot be opened due to some unidentified problem. So, how do i open the port? And are there any other tweaks required as well to improve the speed?
(i knew how to do this by opening the firewall menu, but now it doesnt open, maybe corrupted or something like that)

Also, which client is the best-> Azureus or uTorrent or BitComet or BitTornado or TorrentStorm or orginal BT(lacks features,annoying)

Use bitcomet 0.67 with default settings
Disable any firewalls just for troubleshooting pupose till you get your proper speeds.
tell us your connection details so that we can help further.

I have a Sify 256 kbps connection..no router, static ip,no firewall (even win firewall is corrupt) I patched my tcpip.sys to allow more than 10 ports to connect so that i get better speeds, but LimeWire still connects to only 10 peers at once :?
Still, i get arnd 30kbps constantly in Limewire, but torrents suck....dont get even 20 kbps.

Sify blocks ports like crazy... use port in the 49152 - 65534 range. This is what I like to do... use a port with this no. 5(last 4 digits of your phone number). So if ur phone number is 2228888 then use the port 58888. Works great... I'm on sify as well.

super_saiyan said:
that is done to increase the no of networking computers' to access your PC thru lan...not thru ports..

Dunno abt that..i got the patch-up file from torrentfreaks.

so,any other way to config my ports and increase my speed....coz at the moment, LimeWire is much faster for me than BT....which is contrary to what others have.

priyoban said:
Sify blocks ports like crazy... use port in the 49152 - 65534 range. This is what I like to do... use a port with this no. 5(last 4 digits of your phone number). So if ur phone number is 2228888 then use the port 58888. Works great... I'm on sify as well.

Hey, i use the night unlimited plan and the connection is very unstable at night, often the speeds drop down...but after 1 am, its gets normal. So, abt the port config, all i need to do is change the port nos in the client and thats all, simce i dont have a firewall...they shouldnt be blocked?

It's Sify that blocks your ports. Your firewall dosen't have anything to do with it.

Also do you use the official sify client? Then check to see if bbimpsec is blocking your ports. Open those ports as well. And change your port to a port from the range that I mentioned... your nat problems should be rectified.

Well, i cant run BBImpSec, it just runs in the memory. How do i do that?
Second thing, which client? ren suggested BitComet, but i read somewhere that some trackers have blocked BitComet client. Is it True?

If youre having trouble with bc then just use utorrent or azureus... and right click on your sify icon in the task bar... there will be something called pc guard... thats your access.

ya dude i hv the same problem i dont get gud speeds i hv a 7star cable internet connection and my internet speed is 64 kbps n i shld get constant speeds of 7 and 8 but i get only 3 or 4 y ?? :O:O can ne1 help me out

Back