Storage Solutions Toshiba HDD RMA Procedure?

Try this https://support.toshiba.com/support/acclaim/welcome

I do not have first hand information but a small google search lead me to this.
That's only for the Americas. Not for India.

For India you have to email here:
Code:
contactus@rptechindia.com

with these details:
Model No -
Serial Number -

They will give you the contact info and RMA location nearest to you. There was an RMA site of RPTech a few years before where we could check serial no and validity of warranty, but they removed it i think. Now we have to go to their RMA center to get the hdd replaced.

7months and the HDD is slowly dying making sounds, interrupting mp3, video play.

@vivek.krishnan can i claim rma now or should i wait for it to die? Or crash it forcefully?

For others: Don't buy Toshiba drives. Only WD or HSGT!

Last edited:
Depends - can you post a smart screenshot with the values? And run any tool if Toshiba has one.

Mostly you should RMA it. If you want to crash it, just try to update firmware and kill power in between.[DOUBLEPOST=1483289126][/DOUBLEPOST]@cyberwarfare You could chip in as well.

Last edited:
You should RMA as soon as possible, its dying slowly, given the information you have provided. WD RMA's the drive it has pending sectors. im sure Toshiba will also have a similar policy in place.

RPTech takes a month plus to replace the drive. Send it in now. You'll get a new drive in Feb. In my case they took drive warranty from date of manufacture even though I had taken along original invoice with me. Lost around 7 months warranty there.

Wrong screenshot man. Click on the hdd marked bad.

Unless you have two Toshiba HDD's this hdd looks good. Your disk 1 is the bad one.

Then your Toshiba HDD is okay. First thing to look at is reallocated count, current pending sectors, & uncorrectable sectors. If these are anything other than zero then hdd will fail soon. All of them are zero in your case.
I stand corrected. I think we need to see the worst number and not the threshold number.
You can look at event viewer in windows to see if the hdd is marked having bad sectors too.

example: see my old toshiba hdd
sample.PNG

The interruption to mp3 could be due to Windows trying to mark bad sectors of the Seagate disk. Remove or disconnect power to the bad disk and play music. If there are interruptions then you will need to troubleshoot step by step. Maybe a bad data cable. Can't say.

Edited to remove some bad logic on my part. :(

Last edited:
The interruption to mp3 could be due to Windows trying to mark bad sectors of the Seagate disk. Remove or disconnect power to the bad disk and play music. If there are interruptions then you will need to troubleshoot step by step. Maybe a bad data cable. Can't say.

Edited to remove some bad logic on my part. :(

It has nothing to do with Seagate disk. I just attached it to check if was working and i took screenshot then itself.
I just use that Toshiba drive which is now making noises, But the crystaldisk and Speccy info about Toshiba HDD is just fine. I am planning to crash it wantedly and go for RMA. Is it a good idea or shall i just tell them the exact problem?

PS: Never done HDD Rma.

IF you want to crash the hdd try a low level format. Its very time demanding and taxing on the hdd i think. Just backup all the data on the drive first.
Link - http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

I emailed RPTech first with the problem. They replied back within an hour to rma the drive and also gave the address of the nearest location to me. Just mention the sounds and give details about the drive like drive serial number, make and capacity. Thing with RMA is if it passes their tests, it will be given back to you as is. You won't get a new drive just because the old drive is making noise. You will get a new drive only if its impossible to repair the old drive in their service center.

IF you want to crash the hdd try a low level format. Its very time demanding and taxing on the hdd i think. Just backup all the data on the drive first.
Link - http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

I emailed RPTech first with the problem. They replied back within an hour to rma the drive and also gave the address of the nearest location to me. Just mention the sounds and give details about the drive like drive serial number, make and capacity. Thing with RMA is if it passes their tests, it will be given back to you as is. You won't get a new drive just because the old drive is making noise. You will get a new drive only if its impossible to repair the old drive in their service center.

A low level format will not crash the drive, but will do enough reads and writes to the disk to make it crash if there is an issue. Rather, try one of the following - either update firmware and kill the power to the HDD in between, or do an SATA Secure Erase - the second worked for me, mine hanged and when I rebooted the PC - missing HDD.

Alternatively, try speaking to the RMA centre, mine too was making some noise and eventually when doing the erase conked off.

Toshiba quality is really bad. Even the new 3TB surveillance disk I got in Nov or Dec 2016 through RMA got problems now. Cant RMA it since health is showing fine, but Crystal Disk Info and Acronis are showing errors. Acronis is showing health at 76% and telling to backup data if health falls below 70%. And the RMA ends in Mar 2017. These Toshiba drives are really bad quality. Not worth it even if they were handed out free.

I gave the drive for RMA. Apparently, The drive fell down once from 1 Feet distance and took a hit and the SC guy showed me that, When i first told the issue was heavy noises. Till date the drive was working fine with occasional noises and With Positive health.

No date of delivery was given. Usually it takes how many days?

I gave the drive for RMA. Apparently, The drive fell down once from 1 Feet distance and took a hit and the SC guy showed me that, When i first told the issue was heavy noises. Till date the drive was working fine with occasional noises and With Positive health.

No date of delivery was given. Usually it takes how many days?
date of delivery for rma? they wont give any date. you need to install rptech app from playstore and keep checking once every week (based on challan number). The app shows status of rma. They wont even call you if drive is ready. For me it took like a month to get ready and i was waiting for them to call me. finally after a week of waiting i asked them if i could pick up the drive and they said yes.

Back