Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q892 - New users Review

There are netbooks. 10" in size lightweight.
Then come the "smart laptops" anywhere from 12"-14" in size.
For the conformist there is the 15.6", or 16" pretty much considered the "de facto" laptop size.
And then come the gamers, and multimedia freaks, who need a big screen, and want mobility too.
They take the 17" inchers. Sure the laptop weighs around 3-4kgs but its still mobile and yet can almost replace a desktop
Almost....

Apart from all this, there is another laptop out there. No its not 9", and it will not fit in the palm of your lap. It will not even fit in your lap, unless you have a very big lap. And it does not weigh 3-4kgs

Its the Qosmio. The screen Size... 18.4" IT will put many desktops to shame. Just the laptop weighs over 5kgs, with the power "brick" another 1lbs

So half of you must be eager for more, and other half must be wondering if I am crazy or something. Well without further ado, lets start my personal review of Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q892

Buying Decision
A trip to the US usually means some shopping. And this time the agenda was clear. A sub 1000$ gaming laptop.
So what do you find for 1000$ or less. Well nothing much. The fastest card you get is a ATI 5730(overlocked 5650) with a 5200rpm 500GB HDD and probably a core i7-740

Now from an "India" POV, the 5730 is quite a nice card. Even the 5650 is considered very nice, and laptops with these cost 45K or more, and if you get an i7 the cost goes up a lot more.

Thats when I realized the I will have to push my budget up by 50-100$
That 50$ opened up a world of gaming laptops.
I basically had MSI in my crosshairs. But then the 5870, though the top end ATI card, is known to get a little "cranky" and all "tantrumy"
Moreover, in my budget I was getting a 320GB HDD

Asus Republic of gamers looked nice too, but then price went up.

So then there was the Qosmio.
Holiday season brought in lot of deals, and soon I was looking at this baby at 1050$
And guess what, it has the top end NVIDIA graphics card with a core i5.
This means when I do not need the card, optimus(no relation to our friend from space), can just switch off the card.

I had two choiced PAy 1050 get the 892, or pay 50$ more, and get the 893 with backlit keyboard.
And guess what, I decided to save.
Purchase was made at buydig, and then murphy stuck just as the laptop got out for delivery. Amazon brought the 893 at a lightning deal for 899$

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893 for 899$ - But no use crying over split milk.
Beginning this week, I had the the Qosmio with me, and I am using it for everything its designed for

Looks and Design
The Laptop looks extremely sleek and smart, with red and black combo. As you look at it you drool. That is until it is sitting on your desk, and you are actually looking at it, and not the pictures on the web.
I know many of you must be searching for pictures on the web, but believe me, you have to see it in "correct perspective"
Like this
1118931281_AHNXj-L.jpg

1118933834_aLZLD-L.jpg

1118937081_vcEVe-L.jpg

Does not look too big? ITs because I took the pics with an ultra wide lens. Look at the 77mm lens cap lying next to it. I looks tiny, right

So as I said, its big. Really really big

Another big surprise. They keybord. It actually has a tactile feel. Sure the 1500$ laptops will beat it, but in this price space, nothing comes close. And due to the large real estate available, it actually has a num pad and large keys.
I find the spacebar a little small, but nothing I can live with.

The trackpad is also very nice. Infact its among the nicest I have ever used. There is good feedback, and pinch and grab works without any glitch. There is a dedicated button to switch off the trackpad so that you do not accidentally press any buttons or move the mouse while typing and using an external mouse.

The battery is also huge, and the bottom has room for a spare hdd. Yes, you can fit in 2HDDs without removing your DVD drive. How cool is that...!

So thats on the looks front. Its big, it will grab eyeballs, and its glossy, very glossy. But whatever good looks it has the extra large size makes it look weird. And do not bother carrying it much, unless you are a body builder, or like to have neck and back ache :D

Features and Specs
So what lurks under the hood. Well pretty much near top of the line
I am copy pasting the spec sheet!
Specifications

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor and Graphics
Intel Core i5-460M Processor
- 2.53 GHz (2.80 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 3MB L3

Cache
Mobile Intel PM55 Express Chipset
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M with 1.5GB GDDR5 discrete graphics memory

Memory
Configured with 4GB DDR3 1066MHz (max 8GB)
2 main memory slots. Both slots occupied.

Storage Drive
500GB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard disk drive
TOSHIBA Hard Drive Impact Sensor (3D sensor)

Fixed Optical Disk Drive
DVD SuperMulti drive with Labelflash? supporting 11 formats
- Maximum Read speed and compatibility: CD-ROM (24x), CD-R (24x), CD-RW (24x), DVD-ROM (8x), DVD-R (8x), DVD-R DL (8x), DVD-RW (8x), DVD+R (8x), DVD+R DL (8x), DVD+RW (8x), DVD-RAM (5x)
- Supports Labelflash media to burn high quality labels directly on the disc.

Display
18.4" diagonal widescreen TruBrite TFT LCD display at 1680 x 945 native resolution (HD+)
- Native support for 720p content
- 16:9 aspect ratio

Sound
Built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers
Dolby Home Theater

Input Devices
Flat Matte Keyboard with 10-Keypad
TouchPad pointing device with multi-touch control
TouchPad Enable/Disable button
Media Control Buttons: TOSHIBA eco utility (Energy-saving mode), Mute, Media, CD/DVD control buttons, Volume up, volume down

Communications
Webcam and microphone
10/100/1000 Ethernet
Wi-Fi Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)

Expandability
ExpressCard slot (ExpressCard/34 and ExpressCard/54)
Memory Card Reader
- Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Multi Media Card [shared slot]

Ports
Video
- RGB (monitor) output port
- HDMI-CEC (REGZA LINK)
Audio
- S/P DIF output port (shared with headphone port)
- Microphone input port
- Headphone output port
Data
- i.LINK IEEE-1394
- 4 USB v2.0 ports (3 USB + 1 eSATA/USB combo with USB Sleep and Charge)
- RJ-45 LAN port
Security
- Slot for Security Lock

Physical Description
Fusion Finish in Omega Black
Dimensions (W x D x H ): 17.4" x 11.6" x 1.63"/1.83"
Weight: Starting at 10.1 lbs., depending upon configuration

Battery
12 cell/87Wh Lithium Ion battery pack
Battery Life Rating (measured by MobileMark Productivity 2007)
- Included 12 cell battery: 3 hours, 47 minutes

Power Supply
180W (19V x 9.5A) Auto-sensing ,100-240V/50-60Hz AC Adapter
Dimensions (W x D x H): 6.1" x 2.6" x 1.4"
Weight: starting at 1.2 lbs.

Software
Toshiba Software and Utilities
- HDMI Control Manager
- TOSHIBA App Place
- TOSHIBA Assist
- TOSHIBA BookPlace
- TOSHIBA Bulletin Board
- TOSHIBA Disc Creator
- TOSHIBA DVD Player with Resolution+ Upconvert Technology
- TOSHIBA eco Utility
- TOSHIBA Face Recognition
- TOSHIBA HDD/SSD Alert
- TOSHIBA HW Setup Utility
- TOSHIBA Laptop Checkup
- TOSHIBA Media Controller
- TOSHIBA Password Utility
- TOSHIBA PC Health Monitor
- TOSHIBA Recovery Disc Creator
- TOSHIBA ReelTime
- TOSHIBA Service Station
- TOSHIBA Sleep Utility
- TOSHIBA Supervisor Password Utility
- TOSHIBA Value Added Package
- TOSHIBA Web Camera Application
Third-party Software
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Corel Label @ Once
- Google Toolbar
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer 8
- Microsoft Office Starter 2010
- Microsoft Windows Media Player 12
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Microsoft Live Essentials: Photo Gallery, Messenger, Mail, Writer, Movie Maker
- WildTangent Games Console
Special Offers and Trial Software
- Intuit Quickbooks Financial Center
- KidZui, The Internet for Kids
- NetZero Internet Service
- Norton Internet Security 2011 (30-day trial subscription)
- Toshiba Online Backup (30-day trial subscription)

Environmental Specifications
This product is RoHS compatible
Energy Star Qualified
EPEAT Gold Compliant

1 YEAR STANDARD LIMITED WARRANTY
Includes International Limited Warranty for obtaining service when traveling outside the United States.

Two features worthy of special mention are the Toshiba Eco utitlity. With ECO mode on, and normal web surfing going on, this baby consumes just 35W of power, leading to 3 hours of battery life!

Second are the speakers. Though they won't make me retire my home theater system, they are quite something for a laptop. Probably only MSI can beat this baby due to the chasis subwoofer, but I am not sure I want a subwoofer in the chasis, making things loose!

On the annoyance front, you have the Toshiba HDD vibration protection which parks the head to the safe location if you sneeze too loudly. I reduced the sensitivity from the control panel.

Performance and Usability
Now we come to the meat of this post.
So how does this really perform. It it all hot air and size with no substance.
Well no. If you ask me how does it perform, and how much resolution it can bring out in the benchamrk tests 3dMark11 etc., I am not too sure because it shows me 8fps in 3DMark11.
Pretty bad eh? It scared me too. What if the 460M Nvidia card is a paper tiger? Well it isnt. Its the top end card from Nvidia land you can buy in laptops(except for SLI)

So I ran it through some real world tests.
MY older machine did not even have a graphics card. So I do not have anything to compare with.
But I downloaded steam, and to my surprise found out that I remembered my 7 year old account password, and that account has "Half life 2 and Counterstrike Source!"

So after years I played half life, and guess what, I can set everything to max and the GPU temp does not cross 70 C. Heck CPU usage is below 50% and GPU isn't even maxxed out.

But then HL2 is not really a current game. So it was time to find the latest game I have. Guess what. Its Far Cry 2
Again, everything at 1680x945 resolution with all details and shadows set to high.

This laptop takes it without a sweat

The screen is also bright, though I do not like the glossy screen trend much as it reflects light too much.

Other than that this laptop has the built in webcam and mic, which have very nice voice and video quality.

So is anything missing? Well yes. Blue tooth. This baby does not have bluetooth. Guess I will need to spend a $ and get myself those tiny dongles.

Other than that it as the "Sleep charge" eSATA USB port, firewire, HDMI, VGA blah blah.
With so much space available I was expecting around 6 USB ports, but I guess I will be satisfied with 4.
On the non game front, I have tried HD movies, RAW image processing, and a bunch of other CPU eating tasks, and guess what, it does it well, and without breaking a sweat. RAM usage hovers around 40%, and bootup time is less than 25 seconds, with few seconds more after logging in(I start a lot of monitors at startup)

Only grouse, there is lot of bloatware, and I cannot figure out what to keep and what to junk.

Other thoughts
1. Buying a laptop backpack for this one is an issue with very few designs available
2. Flying with this thing is going to be a pain
3. Its too glossy, so a finger print magnet. I hate cleaning up regularly
4. The power adapter is huge, and the pin which goes into the laptop looks like its for some evil scientists heavy machinery or something, rather than for a laptop
Conclusion
So who should buy this?
Well the answer is, anyboy with a 1000$ budget who wants a desktop replacement.
And quess what, the Qosmio line goes all the way to 1700$, and you get the 1920X1080 full HD screen with a Blue ray drive and Core i7-740QM processor, and a secondry solid state drive

But if you want some battery life, its better to stick to an i5 due to inbuilt graphics available.

As far as gaming laptops go, it will stand side by side with the 5870 equipped machines costing 1500$+
Only thing beating it will be the crossfire equipped twin graphics machines, but if you have that kind of budget, this review is not for you.

Moreover, a second HDD bay means you can fit in a 640GB HDD (70$) and have a 1TB + system. Who needs a desktop anyways!

So am I happy?
Well yes and no,

I know I got a swell machine for 1050$
But then Amazon had this lightning deal for 899$ which I missed by a whisker.
I am crying over spilt milk, even though I know there is no use!

So thats all folks. Fire away your questions.

Good review dude

Getting a laptop with GTX460M is in itself a great achievement

The proccy is just fine for Gaming and casual work

Overall your decision was great

Enjoy your new laptop :D

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I played Half Life Episode 1 quite extensively and even on full settings there is no issue. But then, the game is a little old to be honest.

The biggest revelation is HD videos. Only old 1.6GHz Inspirson E1505, CPU usage would go off the charts, but in this one, its 3-10% at most.

Time for a short update. Its been a few months with the Qosmio.

I have played games like Far Cry 2 and Half life Episode 2 on this beast, and it sure rocks.

Recently I started playing Crysis.

On Very high settings(everthing to very high), it is a little jerky.

However, on high setting and native resolution 1645x945 it runs fine.

CPU temperature goes upto 78 degree C and GPU temp also goes upto that range.

It feels wonderful to be able to play such games at high settings on a 50,000 laptop!

Back