Toshiba REGZA 42XL700

Roxtin

Skilled
I was looking for a LED TV along with my friend when we came through the Toshiba Dealer who showed us the REGZA 42XL700 on display.

He quoted a discounted price of 61k over the original price of 96k. Now this looks VFM for the price and picture quality but I am skeptical about just 2 things:

1. A.S.S.

2. Why so much discount is being given on this model.

Can someone with a LED/LCD knowledge can help me in making the buying decision here?

REGZA

http://www.toshiba-india.com/cp/led-xl700.html

Hmm... The dealer seems to be very smart... A discount of more than 30k. I suspect the quality as well as the A.S.S of toshiba.. Better go for reliable brands like samsung, sony , LG , etc., The toshiba TVs have launched only recently it seems. If you want to get this brand, wait for sometime, read reviews and go ahead with your purchase....

Toshiba quality may be good but main point is A.S.S in India. I'll try some other Toshiba dealers in Delhi too and would see if everyone is giving this discount.

Every other Toshiba panel retails cheaper compared to the ones from the top tier manufacturers such as Sony, Samsung, Philips etc. Heck even the 40incher retails for <40k INR! Then again, if a LED panel were to be priced this cheap, I'd look elsewhere. Quite possible that the dealer is luring both of you to buy the display. Panels vary across the models as well! Some use the Samsung SPVA panel whereas some of the 32inchers use the AUO's AMVA panel and some others use LG's S-IPS panel.

Whatever it is, do your research before you invest in the display! :)

In Bangalore, Toshiba is sold with 3 years warranty. Must be same in all parts of india. Also since Toshiba laptops are sold and they are serviced by proper Toshiba folks, I think they may have good A.S.S also. Though I am not confirming the fact.

I myself am looking to buy Toshiba LCD 32RV700E, but same dilemma about A.S.S.

Just becuase a product is selling at a discount, does not means that the product quality is poor. Margins on LCD/Plasmas/LEDs are very high. I have looked at the Toshiba 32AV700E and the picture quality seems better than or atleast matching withthe so called Tier-1 brands.

Dealers will sell products at a discount if it has not been "moving" quickly. After all they have their money locked in inventory. Besides Toshiba does not spends as much as Samsung/Sony/LG in full page advts. across the nation.

When the same brands selling similar TVs in USA can sell them at 30-40% less, can another manufacturer not sell it at a similar price here in India ? Maybe they have a different model of pricing, or maybe the product really isint moving fast.

I personally think Sony is overpriced and Samsung is over Hyped . I really dont beleive that a 42" LED actually costs 1Lakh - which is very close to the price of a car(Nano), which can carry atleast 4 people !

P.S: I am in no way affiliated to Toshiba or any of its parent/child companies. But I am aggreat sucker for VFM products.

Can you suggest some Toshiba dealers in bangalore?

Wherever I check they dont have Toshiba on display.

rajndra said:
In Bangalore, Toshiba is sold with 3 years warranty. Must be same in all parts of india. Also since Toshiba laptops are sold and they are serviced by proper Toshiba folks, I think they may have good A.S.S also. Though I am not confirming the fact.

I myself am looking to buy Toshiba LCD 32RV700E, but same dilemma about A.S.S.

I would agree completely with Falcon...have seen a few Toshiba LED/LCDs personally while in UAE and they were in no way inferior to ANY of the top brands(though some LCds were poorer in viewing angle but Samsung/Sony/LG all had similar low end models with same problem)-and yea, the profit amrgin the shops are asking for the LED lit LCD panels is just outrageous,sometimes upto 50% of the DP.

Am not sure of Toshiba A.S.S. condition here. If it is covered,u can buy them without worry since Toshiba is not known to compromise on quality AFAIK..Do compare with other brands side-by-side before taking the plunge though.

My brother bought the 40AV700E (non LED) TV last week. The image quality is very good. I don't have many other inputs, but just the bit of hands on convinced me that this TV is in no way inferior to the samsungs etc.

@Dyna, try ezone

There are indeed some awesome panels from Toshiba (the 40RV753 for eg.) but unfortunately the Indian markets do not retail them. As such Toshiba had reported severe losses during 2008 (due to the chip business from ongoing rivals Samsung and Hynix) and had eventually withdrawn the sales of their high-end HDTV lineup from the western markets. They had a plant in Plymouth, UK, laid off about 250 employees from the plant and has recently shifted it to Poland to cut down on the labour costs. They are now concentrating on Jap and Asian markets.

On topic, what we have here in India are mostly the low-end models - the 40 incher retailing for under 40k is a classic instance. When the top-tier manufacturers have their 40 inch lineup sold for over 50k, why would this sole panel retail for under 40k? Do your math!

PS: I am not associated with Samsung or Sony either. :p

Croma had advertised Toshiba LCD TVs in newspapers. I had seen some in BigBazaar/Ezone stores also, but very less.

Seems to me that Toshiba offers less commission to dealers and hence their products are priced less. Imagine a 32inch LCD TV of Toshiba sold at 24K vs a Samsung/LG/Sony sold for about 30K, you can think how much additional commission these Samsung/LG/Sony must be giving to dealers. Hence most of the dealers want to push these over Toshiba.

dyna said:
Can you suggest some Toshiba dealers in bangalore?

Wherever I check they dont have Toshiba on display.

Gannu said:
On topic, what we have here in India are mostly the low-end models - the 40 incher retailing for under 40k is a classic instance. When the top-tier manufacturers have their 40 inch lineup sold for over 50k, why would this sole panel retail for under 40k? Do your math!
...simply 'cause their(Samsun/Sony etc.) overheads might be more.
High Prices = FAT Dealer margin+ FAT pay packets for its Mgmt. + Big marketing budget + (Customer's)Perception of high quality product !

Just cause heir prices are high does not means the product will never break down. I had a SONY Hi-Fi break down several times, and also have Samsung monitor with a "dead"pixel. So I know for sure that they dont live upto their HYPE !

I have visited Samsung plant few years back they are using Toshiba Picture tubes imported from Malaysia in their PLANO series TV's whereas LG was using Samtel and Hotline .

I am also intrested in Toshiba & is a good brand.

Back