Toshiba Satellite

Surve.p

Disciple
Hi all,
what are your reviews on the Toshiba Satellite c650-p5210 :: Toshiba India ::
Use - Browsing/surfing, multimedia, some photoshop, no gaming, casual presentations, should be rugged for travel rough use etc.
Has a matt finish, and a non glossy exterior which make it more suitable for the type of intended usage. Getting it for 28K with windows 7 basic (My budget is 30k)

Afetr doing a brief search on TE, couldn't come up with substantial reviews for the Toshiba product line...wonder why...not a dell for sure please!

Requesting your reviews on this and any alternatives with similar specs : Intel® Pentium® Processor T4400, 15.6 HD LED display,
(2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB),System Memory (expandability)3 GB DDRIII, 320GB SATA @ 5400 rpm, LAN: 10/100 Mbps (RJ45 port)
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n

Mate , Toshiba's build quality has been quite sloppy nowadays , I own a L505-Satellite - Its a glossy one but still - Ive been having so many problems - The monitor's ends are not properly mounted - The Keyboard's keys are the like PITA - They keep popping out everytime , some require that special bit of "thak" to work , Mouse after a year of use has this kind of a mark , at the place where you have used it the most ...its not even a year since I got it actually (Bad Laptop choice too btw) - Speakers , far less than decent , half decent headphones could do better than this one. Honestly , next time Iam not going for toshiba unless I really like the features and they get better in terms of build quality , paying 30k and getting sloppy stuff is not worth it imo ...Currently , I do not know how far they have improved in this sense - So I'd rather go check the laptop in croma/laptop showroom before I decide to buy one

l33t said:
Mate , Toshiba's build quality has been quite sloppy nowadays , I own a L505-Satellite - Its a glossy one but still - Ive been having so many problems - The monitor's ends are not properly mounted - The Keyboard's keys are the like PITA - They keep popping out everytime , some require that special bit of "thak" to work , Mouse after a year of use has this kind of a mark , at the place where you have used it the most ...its not even a year since I got it actually (Bad Laptop choice too btw) - Speakers , far less than decent , half decent headphones could do better than this one. Honestly , next time Iam not going for toshiba unless I really like the features and they get better in terms of build quality , paying 30k and getting sloppy stuff is not worth it imo ...Currently , I do not know how far they have improved in this sense - So I'd rather go check the laptop in croma/laptop showroom before I decide to buy one
I totally disagree on that mate .I have a Toshiba A305 Satellite,build quality is awesome better than the usual DELL.I never had a single issue with the laptop in 3 years .My laptop has one of the best speakers harmon/kardon they are loud enough for normal usage ,I haven't come across single laptop which could match to the quality of my speakers.

Toshiba is known for good build quality mate,looks like you got a bad piece.I was suppose to get the DELL when i purchasing mine but backed off due to the number of issues DELL had when they launched Studio 15 ( i worked with DELL ,so i knew stuff ).

Metalspree said:
I totally disagree on that mate .I have a Toshiba A305 Satellite,build quality is awesome better than the usual DELL.I never had a single issue with the laptop in 3 years .My laptop has one of the best speakers harmon/kardon they are loud enough for normal usage ,I haven't come across single laptop which could match to the quality of my speakers.

Toshiba is known for good build quality mate,looks like you got a bad piece.I was suppose to get the DELL when i purchasing mine but backed off due to the number of issues DELL had when they launched Studio 15 ( i worked with DELL ,so i knew stuff ).
Sir , What you have posted might be the experience you have , many others have got ...

But the L505-S5966 Has been one model which has pretty sloppy build quality , I even wrote to toshiba about these issues , If possible , i'll post the pictures sometime and you will be surprised to note the amount of abuse marks which it has got , also this is with very MINIMAL usage :(

The Tab button only works if I give it a good bang , I go to the TOS Toshiba Service centre , near koramangala - b'lore , They say it is due to "rough" usage , where as the usage has been very very minimal :|

I'm kinda pissed with toshiba , where as the Dell Latitude which I have has had no such issues - ROCK SOLID , if i'd have to say ...

Only the speakers arent that loud enough - But that's kinda acceptable since the laptop is more for the business/ IT sector oriented people . I know that the e6410 is costlier in terms of price , but then the toshiba which I own comes nowhere near it

Verdict - Check the laptop before you buy it , get a hands-on feel to it. - Thats the mistake I did since I was not there when the laptop was purchased.

Hey guys..thanks for your replies.
The satellite C650 series I am talking about, came into the market sometime early June this year...besides build quality any other issues you guys faced...heat buildup, system crashing etc...
It does seem to quite comfortable in terms of usage,keys/trackpad etc...from the display piece in a croma showroom...

l33t said:
Sir , What you have posted might be the experience you have , many others have got ...

But the L505-S5966 Has been one model which has pretty sloppy build quality , I even wrote to toshiba about these issues , If possible , i'll post the pictures sometime and you will be surprised to note the amount of abuse marks which it has got , also this is with very MINIMAL usage :(

The Tab button only works if I give it a good bang , I go to the TOS Toshiba Service centre , near koramangala - b'lore , They say it is due to "rough" usage , where as the usage has been very very minimal :|

I'm kinda pissed with toshiba , where as the Dell Latitude which I have has had no such issues - ROCK SOLID , if i'd have to say ...

Only the speakers arent that loud enough - But that's kinda acceptable since the laptop is more for the business/ IT sector oriented people . I know that the e6410 is costlier in terms of price , but then the toshiba which I own comes nowhere near it

Verdict - Check the laptop before you buy it , get a hands-on feel to it. - Thats the mistake I did since I was not there when the laptop was purchased.
I posted my perception mate ,did not bang on say get Toshiba ,may be they have gone bad .I purchased mine 3 years back .Best thing to do with laptop is go have a look in real work on it for some time ( i am sure croma would allow you to do it ) .Later you can look out for a good deal :)

Back