TP-Link 740n + DD-WRT - is beta firmware an issue ?

soggy316

Adept
I didn't want to open a whole new thread for a small Q about DD-WRT.

I have a TP-link router, and want to install DD-WRT (primarily for the bandwidth monitor) the download page says my router is supported but the verison is beta. Does that mean it is unstable or something or is it fine, and they are just claiming beta to avoid liability if something goes wrong?

I didn't want to open a whole new thread for a small Q about DD-WRT.

I have a TP-link router, and want to install DD-WRT (primarily for the bandwidth monitor) the download page says my router is supported but the verison is beta. Does that mean it is unstable or something or is it fine, and they are just claiming beta to avoid liability if something goes wrong?
They term it as beta as some things might work abnormally but I have been using ddwrt for over 3+yrs and they are pretty much stable for normal use.

Most home routers adopt the good neighbour policy and default to 20MHz, so not such a big deal.
72Mbps (theoretical peak) applies only to the wireless traffic. Your internet line is wired to the router.

So the first attempt at flashing was a bit of a disaster :p . Saturday was devoted to reinstalling W7 (for an unrelated issue). Today morning I decided to flash the router with ddwrt. First flashed it with factory-to-ddwrt.bin. Then upgraded to tl-wr740nv4-webflash.bin. It went smoothly, no issues up to this point.

But then when I tried to setup up the PPPoE connection, it just refused to connect. Then I tried directly connecting the modem to the LAN port. Still did not work. Turns out YOUtele requires the MAC to be updated at their server too. So I did that. Then the direct LAN connection started working.

The router still refused to connect, despite matching the MAC the expected values. Tried to get my other BB connection onto the router, still nothing, the router logs give me the "PPPoE hard line is disconnected" error/warning.

Many attempts at blowing dust off the WAN port and percussive maintenance later, I decided to flash back to the factor firmware. So, I used the wr740nv4_webrevert.sim. Still nothing. Then flashed the latest firmware from the TP-Link site. Finally it connects.

Round-2 will probably be on wednesday, when fewer people are around to hear me muttering expletives :D.

Attempt #2 was also unsuccessful.

Some web searching has revealed that I may need to "factory reset" the 740N, then upgrade to dd-wrt. Also I should probably try to access the router through ie (in ver. 6 compat mode) and a direct LAN Cable before messing around with Wireless.

Back