TP-Link Archer C60 OpenWRT review.

Navier

Disciple
OpenWRT is a aftermarket firmware for routers, kinda like LineageOS for android phones.
I wanted to learn and tinker with it, so I bought a supported router and installed OpenWRT on it after unboxing.

Note - Installing custom firmware on a router can be a little challenging, you will be without internet in some cases. Please follow with caution.

After sifting through various forums and reddit, I decided to find a router that satisfied following criteria -
  • Available in India, either on Flipkart or Amazon.
  • Cheap (<2500 INR).
  • Has a stable OpenWRT release available.
First router to pass these filters was Archer C60, so I ordered it.

Steps
  1. Download the firmware from OpenWRT site according to the stock firmware version given on the back of router.
  2. Change your existing ISP router from router mode to brigde mode.
  3. Connect OpenWRT router's wan port to the existing router's binded port.
  4. Edit WAN interface from going to Network -> Interfaces, and input your username and password.
  5. And its connected.
I know its not complete step by step instructions, and I may have missed a step or two,
but anyone who wants to install a custom firmware on their router will figure out the in between steps, because the fun lies in tinkering. :)
Feel free to ask any questions.

Links

A few tips

1) When you install Openwrt for the first time from OEM firmware, use the image with "factory" in it's name. Firmware upgrades from within Openwrt should use the image with "sysupgrade" in its name
2) Note the hardware version of your router (usually noted as v1/v2/v3 etc on the sticker underside) and use the correct Openwrt firmware for that version only. Different hardware versions requires matching firmware, flashing wrong firmware may possibly brick your router
3) Before flashing download the OEM firmware and flash utility and keep it handy
4) Do not interrupt the flashing procedure, it will take a few minutes in some routers, wait for the process to complete. Interruption of flashing procedure may brick the router

Back