TP Link MR3420, Fluctuation in throughput

ajonnet

Disciple
I am having TP Link MR3420 Wifi router which is said to support 300Mbps of throughput. I am having airtel 8mbps connection hooked its wan port.

Recently i was downloading WWDC series (vids) from apple server. What i found is when i am connected directly through ethernet cable, i am getting a consistent speed of 8mbps. But when switched over Wifi, the throughput is fluctuating over time. It also has been made sure there is no else device connected to router.

Throughput_Graph.png

I tried being very near to Router but it did not affect the pattern.

As router is said to be capable of handling 300mbps, i don't see a reason such fluctuation. Even in router settings page, Max Tx rate for wireless is set to 300mbps.

Is this normal, or i am having trouble somewhere??

Attachments

• ThroughputGraph.png
    ThroughputGraph.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 185
First of all the actual throughput will be around ~170mbps at max.

As a matter of fact speed will decrease depending on how far you are from the router. As you're saying the speed is varying while downloading, make sure. You have latest firmware on your router apart from placing it at a proper place.

Hope this helps.

First of all the actual throughput will be around ~170mbps at max.

As a matter of fact speed will decrease depending on how far you are from the router. As you're saying the speed is varying while downloading, make sure. You have latest firmware on your router apart from placing it at a proper place.

Hope this helps.

Okay i did the firmware upgrade, everything went smooth. But above pattern of throughput is still the same, irrespective of my location.

Througput_Graph2.png

To further analyse, i tried to examine the pattern while doing a local transfer and found it to behaving similarly. Also, i discovered if i am trying watch a movie on LAN, it is also getting breaks in-between due to that pattern of throughput.

Can you please confirm, while doing a local transfer from a wireless unit, if this behaviour exists at your side or not.

Attachments

• ThrougputGraph2.png
    ThrougputGraph2.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 167
Back