TP Link WR740N - which variant available now?

v.Na5h

Skilled
Guys anybody recently got this..

i guess its v5 now everywhere..

heard that there are 2 v5 EU and chinese v5 which has 2mb flash and doesnt support dd wrt...

can anybody confirm which v5 do we get from amazon/flipkart

Is there any conclusion on what is better supported on 4.23 - openwrt OR ddwrt

P0 I am looking to use this as wireless repeater extender (no LAN cabling). will both of them serve the purpose?

P2 run some torrent downloader to directly download on a NAS (dont need USB connections)
Nothing that I need as such.
Actually was looking only for torrent downloader. but just realised the router has no usb port :facepalm:

Yeah for that purpose i am using pogoplug already,
But i think asus n13u is also a good choice for downloading torrents :)

So is this scenario possible

R1 tp-link 8968 adsl as main router has a usb 32gb drive connected and samba shared

R2 - tp link 740n working as client bridge with dd wrt (transmission torrent installed is this possible with this router) and downloads to the samba share

So is this scenario possible

R1 tp-link 8968 adsl as main router has a usb 32gb drive connected and samba shared

R2 - tp link 740n working as client bridge with dd wrt (transmission torrent installed is this possible with this router) and downloads to the samba share

You wont be able to run transmission on the 740N because you need /opt for installing the ipkg packages.[DOUBLEPOST=1440318090][/DOUBLEPOST]
hello
today i flashed my tplink wr 740n with dd wrt and now i am not able to open the setup page(192.168.0.1) however the internet is working fine..

Thats because it has moved to 192.168.1.1 maybe :p

Confirmed that the indian one is EU / international version by DLing the firmware from RU and International site..
The chinese model looks different too..

You wont be able to run transmission on the 740N because you need /opt for installing the ipkg packages.[DOUBLEPOST=1440318090][/DOUBLEPOST]
:p

Isnt there any bin files which already has transmission installed...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Development

Has anybody tried building from source or modifying the bin..

Last edited:
Confirmed that the indian one is EU / international version by DLing the firmware from RU and International site..
The chinese model looks different too..

Isnt there any bin files which already has transmission installed...
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Development

Has anybody tried building from source or modifying the bin..

I have the 841N and used the earlier version for the same. Ditto for 740N - I think I got the 4.92/4.93 version. They are keeping the international devices for India and chinese for chinese market.

Guys any link for dd wrt tuts...

Gonna flash it straight away after reaching home...

AFAIK v5 has beta only..
How safe are betas as daily driver...

Intend to use this is a client bridge

I would avoid beta firmware as a daily driver. No harm in trying it out though.

Had installed open wrt on TPLINK 841 V9 couple of months back. Only beta firmware was available for V9 at that time. Faced constant disconnections so stopped using it.

Now a more stable version of the firmware has been released but yet to try it.

btw what's the fun of dd wrt above the stock ROM? I will be buying the 300mbps tp link or neatgear router only soon. let me know.

Back