Audio Transformer Inside My Speaker System Caught Fire

broadway

Disciple
2y2aye951transformer.jpg

The transformer inside my speaker system caught fire. It had happened around three months ago. I got it repaired for 350 from a nearby repair shop but it has happened again. Does someone know what the volt ratings of the transformer used in a speaker system? 12V? 24V? 220V? AC? DC?

Step down transformer, 220VAC to xV AC. x refers to the voltage of the output side specified on the transformer itself.

What speaker system do you have? Do you still happen to have the stock transformer? The ratings would be specified on it. Match the amperage and get a spare one from the local electronics store.

Btw are you replacing it yourself? Use a 2A/4A 250V slowblow fuse if you can (in series with the power input preferably outside the subwoofer unit). The voltage fluctuations would have blown it IMO.

ah, even i have the same problem with my philips 2-in-1. the stock step down transformer was replaced with a nameless and rating less one which died in three four months. anyone know what the rating is for a double deck 2-in-1 system?

6pack said:
ah, even i have the same problem with my philips 2-in-1. the stock step down transformer was replaced with a nameless and rating less one which died in three four months. anyone know what the rating is for a double deck 2-in-1 system?
You will have to refer the rating provided in the stock transformer. It varies from system to system. :)

The transformer doesn't specify a volt rating. It looks like an unbranded one.

It is a 2.1 speaker system and i had been using it for more than 2 years. A few months ago, the transformer died and i had it replaced. But i knew something was wrong. The room would smell of burning wires just after 10min of use. I opened it and noticed the transformer was getting hot. Last night, i had it running for 3 hours when the music stopped. I looked down and i noticed fumes were coming out of the woofer vent. I opened it and found the transformer had melted away. The metal thing around it had swelled and popped out of place. The circuit has no burn parts. Just a few wires seem to have melted and the cushion inside the box had burned.

The output wire from the transformer has a socket which goes into the circuit. It looks like the one you get on a 12v chassis fan.

That doesn't help much. And you dont seem to find the ratings on the presently blown transformer either?

I'll wait for cranky to respond on this issue. :)

Took out the transformer and showed it to the hardware store-wallah. He said he has no idea what rating it is since there is no info anywhere on it. A chit chat followed where different people quoted different volts and amps. Some guys warned me that it would blow up again since the new transformers available in the market are not what they used to be. They want to hand over the box to the repair man again. That'll again take a month before it comes back.

Here is some extra info i found on the box:
Output: 18W + 10W * 2 (RMS)
PMPO: 1200W
Rated impedance: 4 (ohms)

Just need to know the ratings of the transformer on a speaker like this.

Back