Triple Booting Win7/XP/Ubuntu

Hello TE,

I need to triple boot Win7,XP and Ubuntu 10.10. I have two hard drives, on disk1 I will install only Win7 and on disk2 I will install XP and Ubuntu. I want to know if this is possible? Also will I have trouble booting into any OS if I install Win7 first and then XP and Ubuntu.

any help is appreciated
TIA :)

You won't face problems as such. Just make sure to install the OS'es in Win XP > Win 7 > Ubuntu in this order. Otherwise you need to troubleshoot bootloader.

Installed Ubuntu after installing Windows 7 .. but in boot menu its not showing Ubuntu ... reinstalled Ubuntu again, same issue ... any solutions :(

During ubuntu 10.10 installation, see if there is an options in the advanced/partitioning section where you can choose to install the GRUB bootloader into MBR, typically the /dev/sda location and not any numbered location like /dev/sda1

I did the same recently, but instead of Ubuntu, I used Arch Linux. Here is how it went.

On the 1st hard drive, I installed XP and put up some space for linux.
Then on the 2nd hard drive, I installed Win 7.
Back to 1st hard drive, installed Arch linux, with it's boot loader in 1st hard drive itself.

Advantage of this set up is, if something happens to linux (which is unlikely, though), you can still log into windows 7 and delete linux (if necessary), and re-install windows xp (again, if necessary).

Hope this helps.

Back