Graphic Cards [Troubleshooting] 7950 with i5 3450 and Gigabyte B75M

fistea

Disciple
Hi everyone,

I have a custom built desktop which I had built over a year and a half and have a setup which is kinda my pride, but I've recently run into some trouble with my build.

the full build is at : http://pcpartpicker.com/user/fistea/saved/qLc48d

but the gist of it is this:

CPU : i5 3450
Motherboard: GB B75M - D3H
Ram: 8gb
Gfx card: Sapphire 7950 with boost ( 3gb )
PSU : Corsair TX 750 v2

Ive recently changed my drivers for the gfx card (from the official website) and upgraded my psu from a zebronics (where everything was working okay) to the corsair tx 750 (which is supposed to be more thn enough for my needs (4 hds, 2 fans and the gfx card) ).

Ive started facing serious lag in gaming ( complete stuttering in all games, dota 2, bl2 , even if i manage to watch a movie or two for a couple of hours, the pc resets on its own or throws a bsod on windows 8 ( bsod while watching games and resets while playing games - that much is certain)

Did some research, boils down to psu and gfx card. Any pointers to be had / checked ? any tools to check performance of my gfx card ( remember the setup was working with older drivers and a dumpy psu prior )

Apologies if i missed any format, posting in this subforum for the first time.

Cheers,
fistea

If you use a UPS it can be related to that too.In my case I ave a 550VA APC UPS and the following rigs are connected to it.
Gaming PC-i5 4430,GTX 760,16 GB,CORSAIR VX550
Download PC-AMD E350N mini ITX
Laptop-Thinkpad x201.
Now when all three were running and I ran some stressful stuff on the Gaming PC the UPS would reset and I would get random reboots,BSODs etc. on the power sucking Gaming PC
If that is not the case you can stress test your hardware and see if it trips up with Furmark.Please take that PSU to the service center in that case ASAP as it might end up damaging your rig too and Corsair is pretty awesome in terms of warranty and stuff.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

That's the thing. I dont have a UPS and the PSU, has been rma'd twice ( for the same reason ) once from flipkart, and once from corsair.

both times, it was because the PC would reset 10 mins into a game of Dota2 or BL2 . I think this may have been only the PSU being the culprit at play
and that the GPU wasnt getting enough power ( which it should , based on the rating of the tx 750

The lag/stutter was never there earlier. This has started happening only with the new drivers and windows 8 ( it was windows 7 earlier)

I can't help you in that regard since I only use Win 8.1 on my tablet and all my other 3 PCs run on WIndows 7.Is there any advantage in using WIndows 8 on a non touchscreen device? Moreover I always end up using the desktop mode on my tab too as the apps on Metro are mostly shitty.Even VLC app is crapshoot over there.
In this case I think you better go back to Win 7 as you know-If it ain't broke why fix it.... :D

@vyral_143 yes, I tried rollback of drivers, all the way back up to June 2013. Didnt work, stutter & BSODS everywhere even in the OS. This is with the twice rma'd psu of corsair (supposed to be an "enthusiast" psu )

@harshilsharma63 I tried checking the temperatures - 53 C during no load/stable. 65 during games (for what little time it can manage without resets).

@Marcus Fenix I did try with the GPU testing/benchmark software - on normal loads (720p, 1080p ) it gave very low scores of sub 2k. ( well outside the range as described on the site) on 2k (1440p) , the box reset.

I did a fresh reinstall of windows 8.1 and there was still stutter everywhere after i updated the drivers. The only option i have left is to go back to the zebronics psu and see if everything is still working (which it was , prior to the install of the corsair psu. )

I think it might ultimately be a faulty psu, but the drivers are making me worried about the graphics card which was functioning until two weeks ago.

Now that you are back on old good psu, watch a movie for an hour or so and if all seems stable, upgrade the drivers and see further and let us know.
And yes, upgrade one component driver at a time and see the stability. in this way you can zero down on faulty stuff if any.

Back