CPU/Mobo [Troubleshooting] i5 4460 touching 83c. Is a cpu cooler required?

adventureguy

Skilled
Hi,

My i5 4460 is touching 83c on full load and 40~50c idle while gaming.

But during internet search, everyone is suggesting that stock cooler is fine since processor cant be overclocked any ways.

What you do suggest? Continue with stock or go with new one.

some cheap cpu cooler suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

My i5 4460 is touching 83c on full load and 40~50c idle while gaming.

But during internet search, everyone is suggesting that stock cooler is fine since processor cant be overclocked any ways.

What you do suggest? Continue with stock or go with new one.

some cheap cpu cooler suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks.

First check the thermal paste/fans and then look at alternatives.

Does the brand of thermal paste make a major difference?

I got some local thermal paste from the store near my house.

I also seem to be getting these temperatures for my i5 4670. I just presumed the ambient temps in my house are on the higher side.

Is this max temps even during prime95
I haven't run prime95 for a long time. The temps I quoted are from full load in multi-tasking and during some games.
single blob in the middle works fine?
It will but you need to be sure about the amount and be very careful when placing the HSF on it so that it spreads evenly. Alternatively, you can use the credit card method.

Does the brand of thermal paste make a major difference?

I got some local thermal paste from the store near my house.

I also seem to be getting these temperatures for my i5 4670. I just presumed the ambient temps in my house are on the higher side.

I would suggest avoiding that local paste - pickup cheap cooler master/noctua paste for 250 bucks! The cheap paste is only a temp fix. At continuous high temps, it looses its capability and needs to be reapplied.

I would suggest avoiding that local paste - pickup cheap cooler master/noctua paste for 250 bucks! The cheap paste is only a temp fix. At continuous high temps, it looses its capability and needs to be reapplied.
I haven't run prime95 for a long time. The temps I quoted are from full load in multi-tasking and during some games.

It will but you need to be sure about the amount and be very careful when placing the HSF on it so that it spreads evenly. Alternatively, you can use the credit card method.

Thank you. I opened up the case and the thermal paste was nearly gone. Little bit browned too. Cleaned it with microfiber cloth and iso propyl alcohol and applied noctua paste. Now even on full load the cpu is just touching 70~72c with no throttling

I would like to just point something out - if your CPU is heating up, you will find that the speed is throttled. Hence, by looking at the speed, you can remotely diagnose if there is a thermal issue.

Back