User Guides Tutorial : Create Glassy Button/Box with Gimp.

Tutorial : Create Glassy Buttons with Gimp
After seeing few glassy logo box and buttons. I thought of making the same using Gimp.. I searched for Tutorials for Gimp ,but all in vain.. while users from PS can find a bunch of 'em. Actually it was PS tutorial from where I got the idea of creating Glassy Logo Box..

In this Tutorial we will learn to create glassy logo box.. These looks like a professional creation but the method used is very simple :)

In this tutorial we will focus to create output like this...:-

Preview.png

Step 1 : - Download this background or search for a darker shade ....

Step 2 : Open the background using Gimp and click on Rectangle Selection Tool .. Set these settings for Rectangle Selection Tool..

1.jpg

Step 3 : Create a medium rectangle by dragging the mouse in the background...

2.jpg

Step 4 : Create a new layer and name it “Original Rectangleâ€. Considering that rectangle is still in selection .Fill it with White colour..

3.jpg

Step 5 : Set the opacity of the New Layer to 8..It will look diminished..Thats it , you can now see the glassy look..

4.jpg

Step 6 :
Now duplicate Using the Eraser tool erase the white colour of Duplicate layer and set the Opacity of Duplicate layer to 100.

Step 7 : Select the Eraser Tool and set the settings to the following..

17.jpg

Step 8 : Using the Eraser tool erase the white colour of Duplicate layer as shown : --

5.jpg

Step 9 : Do not erase all the white colour of the duplicate layer.. The output should look like this : -

6.jpg

Step 10 : Now duplicate the layer and select the Flip Tool from the Gimp Menu or press SHIFT + F.. Flip the 2'nd duplicated layer by holding CTRL button .. This will flip the 2'nd duplicated layer upside down...

Step 11 : Now move the flipped layer to the upper part using the Move Tool or Press 'M' . The output should look like this : - -

7.jpg

Step 12 : - Now we should add a white border to the bottom.. Create a new layer, select the Rectangle Selection Tool , create a small rectangle at the bottom and fill it with white colour.

9.jpg

Step 13 : Select the Eraser tool and set the radius to 3.. Erase the Border at the bottom as shown : -

10.jpg

Step 14: Duplicate the layer and move it to the Upper Part.. The output should be like this : -

11.jpg

Step 15 : Add the Text or Logo with your favorite font, size and colour..

12.jpg

Step 16 : Again duplicate the “Original Rectangle†layer and change the text colour to black for better visibility ...

13.jpg

Step 17 : Select the Ellipse Selection Tool and draw an ellipse as shown : -

14.jpg

Step 18 : Press Delete and deselect all the by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+A ..

15.jpg

Now set the opacity of this layer to 10.

16.jpg

We are done .. Just change the Font colour if you want .. That's it we have created a cool looking glassy box with GIMP..

Hope this tutorial helps you ..:)

Download the .xcf file for reference : Glassy Button.zip

Keep the comments and suggestions coming :)

Regards Ds

Reactions: 1 person

vishalrao

Global Moral Police
Skilled
Nov 10, 2007
Pune, India
very nice, i will try it some time. too bad the rep system wants reps to be spread around. admins should make it less restrictive...

DanDroiD

Skilled
Apr 17, 2007
nice going, it looks like you are really getting the hang of Gimp quickly :)

yada yada spread the reps around 1st.... next time on the reps :D

Dark Star

ex-Mod
May 7, 2006
Thanks guys :) Glad you liked it :p Yep getting used to with Gimp.. Will post a nice effect tutorial after I'll install an OS :p