CPU/Mobo TV out not working with ASUS M2NPV-VM mobo

MacFanBoy

Disciple
Thanx to TE community I`ve just bought my first HTPC. But it`s not yet working. Here`s the specs:-

-Asus MM2NPV VM Mobo with builtin nvidia 6150 grafix chipsets. It has on board TV and HDTV outputs

-Athlon 3000+
-512MB Ram, Win XP Pro (SP2).

I have tried both the S video and comosite outputs but there is nothing on the TV. I tried the component output too but with regular camposite cables. Are component cables different than composite cables? In any case that didnt work too.

I`ve installed the latest drivers for the 6150 chipset. Now it shows the following:-
Processor: GeForce6150
Video Bios Version: 5.51.22.33.07
IRQ: 16
BUS: Integrated
Memory: 128 MB
Forceware version: 93.71
TV Encoder type: NVIDIA integrated
Now using nView when I try to detect displays it only shows me the LG Monitor as an option and no TV et all. What is wrong here? I spent the whole night trying to figure it out but couldnt make it to work. I`d really appreciate if someone can get me out of this trouble.

I am not familiar with your board or the 6150, however I also use an Nvidia GPU and am able to detect my TV.
Have you connected the TV and monitor to the board while selecting the options from nView? Ideally you will need to go to the Dual display setup in nView where the connected options will be displayed to you. Here you can choose how you want the computer to display images. The same image could be displayed in both displays(clone) or the screen could be stretched to show the display in a bigger area(two screens). Are u getting this menu in nView?

Component is different from Composite. While both use the RCA connector, in Composite the video signal is carried in a single cable while in component the signal is broken into 2 colour and one brightness(3 RCA to 3 RCA) so clarity is better.

Hope this helps. Someone else with hands on experience with your board will be help better.

Ronnie22 said:
I am not familiar with your board or the 6150, however I also use an Nvidia GPU and am able to detect my TV.
Have you connected the TV and monitor to the board while selecting the options from nView? Ideally you will need to go to the Dual display setup in nView where the connected options will be displayed to you.

In nView I get the option of single display only. This is coz the 6150 can support only one of VGA or S or Component output at a time. To use it in duel mode I`ll need to use DVI as the first display and VGA/TV as the another one. Since I m using regular VGA Monitor I cant use TV along with it. But It should detect a connected Tv and start displayin on it when I select that from nView while switching off the VGA monitor. But the problem is that it doesnt even detect a TV at all.
Ronnie22 said:
Component is different from Composite. While both use the RCA connector, in Composite the video signal is carried in a single cable while in component the signal is broken into 2 colour and one brightness(3 RCA to 3 RCA) so clarity is better.

I know component and composite differences. What I do want to know is if I can use regular composite cables for a component connection since both of them look similar in design and are pin compatible. Or do I need specific component cables to do the job

BTW thanx for the info.

I m still trying to get the video output on my TV guys. Please help me out.

Plz first mention the MAKE/ MODEL/ YEAR of ur TV. I have seen old TVs making probs working with PC out. I don't know if onboard GFX solution on this board behaves like normal GFX cards but it sh'd.

as a tip, leave everything alone, have all the wires connected to ur TV & all, & then reboot ur PC. while rebooting, u sh'd be getting display on both displays, until XP's login screen comes & drivers take over the control.

Let us know what are the results. If u still are not getting any display on TV, i guess change the cables once.

I know component and composite differences. What I do want to know is if I can use regular composite cables for a component connection since both of them look similar in design and are pin compatible. Or do I need specific component cables to do the job

Yup, you can do that....use 3 composite cables for component. Just make sure that all 3 cables are of the same length.

Edit: You could get a DVI-VGA convertor, and then use the DVI and TV-out at the same time. It might work.

zhopudey said:
Yup, you can do that....use 3 composite cables for component. Just make sure that all 3 cables are of the same length.
Edit: You could get a DVI-VGA convertor, and then use the DVI and TV-out at the same time. It might work.
This mobo uses a DVI-D (digital) connector that cannot output analog RBG signals i.e. you cannot use a normal DVI-VGA connector with this mobo. Those DVI-VGA connectors work only with DVI-A/DVI-I (Analog/Analog-Digital). The DVI-I connector was devised to make the interface compatible with older displays using VGA input
@MacFanBoy - Turn off your PC, disconnect the monitor, connect TV using composite cable, turn on your PC. You should be able to see the boot screen. The system will detect the output device that is being used at boot and will use that for display

It`s a sony wega 54" projection TV bought in Aug 2004. Its model no is KP-FX532M91. It is not exactly High Def but does have a resolution of bout 1280x960(ie 4 times standard definition). It`s HD ready. Has component inputs. It`ll display HD videos but in 4:3 format.

BTW I did try the composite out on an Akai 14" TV(bout 3-4 years old) but there too I had no luck.

I dont get anything on my TV et all. Not even the boot sequence. So is the Mobo at fault?

mod-the-pc said:
Also try changing the below options in the BIOS to TV/Auto and PAL-BDGHI respectively

RGB/TV display was already set to Auto. Changed the TV mode support from DISABLED to PAL-BDGHI, saved the config and rebooted. Still no luck.

Then get some good cables...

also usually these TVs have 2 component IN ports - can u try the second one.. Are u using the component in ???

If composite, just get some other cables, probably the shielded ones & try.

If u take it, my piece of advice will be to buy a cheap CARD, 7600GT or something & play with it...

GREAT. Now even bigger problem. After making that lil Bios change the monitor too doesnt get any display. I can see every thing until XP starts loading and after that it`s blank.

MacFanBoy said:
Tried it already. Still display goes blank once XP loads. I m now going to try and boot in safe mode.

The display is working fine in safe mode.

EDIT: Rebooted in normal mode. The display is still not working. What should I do?

Back