Two LAN ports. What are they really for?

mick_ralte

Disciple
Hey guys, I'm using an Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi motherboard, and there are two lan ports. What are they for? Can i use them simultaneously?
I connect through a router which i share with my friends, will it increase the bandwidth i get if i used two wire, connected to each port on my motherboard?

I have one port which is connected to the modem for internet and the other port i use for sharing the internet to other PCs in my home through a ethernet switch

And for ur question. Yes you can use them for 2 internet connections simulataneously. But its a hard procedure to do it.

47Shailesh said:
^no it's nothing hard, just like you configure single network you have to configure another.

I meant using two internet conns say tata on 1 and airtel on other and you want to combine both the bandwidth speeds and use it in your browser/downloaders etc

I have two internet connections at my home, if my spare lan card is in working condition will update if there were any issues in getting combined speed

47Shailesh said:
I have two internet connections at my home, if my spare lan card is in working condition will update if there were any issues in getting combined speed

AFAIK its not that simple getting combined speeds :p You can increase total bandwidth available to you, NOT max download speed. e.g., 2 256kbps connections wont team up to give you download speed of a 512kdps connection. But theoretically, you might be able to run 2 downloads both taking 256kbps.

AFAIK, trying to team up two different internet connections into one logical higher speed pipe is a form of link aggregation that is not possible with home routers, especially when the ISPs are different. This was possible in the modem days with something called MLPPP (multi link PPP).

WickedTA said:
AFAIK, trying to team up two different internet connections into one logical higher speed pipe is a form of link aggregation that is not possible with home routers, especially when the ISPs are different. This was possible in the modem days with something called MLPPP (multi link PPP).

Yes you are correct, you need a protocol like Multilink PPP which can 'bundle 2 connections. However in case of multilink PPP you need both connections to the same ISP cuase the other end of the link should also support bundling of channels/links

IYou can theoritically get max bandwidth but for separate sessions by creating a manual route to force connection using the 2nd ISP for the second download but doing this for even such session is too cumbersome to be practical.

Back