Monitors Two Questions regarding Mouse and Monitor

Count_Down

Disciple
I have two questions for the tech experts here:

1. Planning a get a wireless mouse with a decent range (around 6-7 ft). Can somebody tell me the range of MX1000? From what distance does it work properly? Any alternate suggestions about a good wireless mouse?
2. In the market for a new 17 inch monitor. I am debating with myself whether I should go for a CRT (the Samsung DF model) or a TFT one. My graphics card is a BFG 6600GT with dual DVI but Samsung does not seem to have a good DVI model in the 17 inch range. The model with DVI in the Samsung India website has a response time of 25 ms, which is just too bad. So, what should I do?? I am looking for your guidance.

Depends on your budget... If for gaming go in for a CRT as TFT's would be quiet expensive(The one's under 8ms)...

As for the mouse... I have found that Wireless has lag... But cant comment on the lazer mouse as i have never used it.... Wasie you can go in for a MX 518... Its a nice little thing...

Thanks for the reply. Budget for the monitor is around 15K. I have a PC in the bedroom and I need the monitor more for light surfing and watching movies and stuff. I was thinking about a 19 inch also but that will require a new UPS.

The requirement for the wireless mouse is also because of this reason. I want to controll the PC from the bed which is around 7-8 feet from the PC table.

I hope I have made the situation bit more clear. Looking forward to your expert advice...

The samsung 173p is a real good panel but has slightly high response time. Still no ghosting though ;). However its out of ur budget. With 15K, you'll only find the Benq 17" panel though... don't know how much it costs. A 19" crt is really good though. Much better than el cheapo LCDs.

EDIT: about mouse... well MX1000 is not recommended for gaming. It has issues... Better go for a corded MX518.

Count_Down said:
I was thinking about a 19 inch also but that will require a new UPS.

HEY COUNT :clap: Long time no see !!!

I dont know what UPS you are using but when I was in between changing APC UPS's for some days I used my old Powercom 600w UPS on my setup with a 19" monitor and it had no problems handling the load. I tested that Powercom UPS and it gave a backup of about 12 minutes with my computers load - this cheap UPS is normally attached to my second computer which has a Celeron 633 @ 950 which is used basically for emailing.

@Chaos, budget is extendable to 20K. Any other models? Samsung 710N (no DVI) is selling for around 15-16K in Delhi.
Regarding mouse, I have a MX510 in my main machine. For this computer, I need a wireless mouse.

BTW, how is 710N? ANy users here?

@Eazy, Hello Sir!! I have turned a lurker now :eek:hyeah:
My UPS for this machine is an APC Back-ups E500. I don't think it can handle a 19 inch CRT. This computer has an Antec 380 Truepower (Sonata). BTW, using a APC 800 VA model for my main machine now. Haven't installed the s/w though, I remember you were having some problems with it. How is it working now?
@ Switch, Another likely problem with the 19 inch CRT is weight. I have a Zuari computer table and even with the current 14 inch monitor, the table top is slightly bent. I wonder whether a 19 inch monitor will break the table top. CAn the top be reinforced? As this is your special area of expertise, I am asking you this question.

I might go for the 997DF model unless it requires a new UPS and a new Table :O :eek:hyeah:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm... In 20K, i think you can get the 173p. Last I checked here in hyd, it was 19K. Extremely good LCD. In fact if you are not gonna game much, Its the best 17" you can get in India. If gaming is required, take a look at the Viewsonic VX series. They are meant for gamingl. I think bottle can tell you more abt gaming on 173p as he has that lcd. If you can spend 20K, you can go for a 20" Philips CRT as well.

Well... For 20K go in for a good 17" LCD and not a CRT as 17"TFT will have a good viewable area...

Also the table top can be fixed but it depends on model to model... I can tell you if you can provide me with a pic...

Count_Down said:
using a APC 800 VA model for my main machine now. Haven't installed the s/w though, I remember you were having some problems with it. How is it working now?

After the Powerchute software that gave me trouble they have released 2 newer versions and the current one is quite OK. But a few days back I found a link to the APC Powerchute Business edition but I have been too busy playing around with my new toy (the BENQ 1640 DVD writer) and have not installed it. It is available here...

Code:
ftp://ftp.apcc.com/restricted/software/pcbe/704/windows/pcbesetup.exe

I was in a similar dilemna, The DVI input is very important. I could only find the BENQ 17" LCD - it was the only with DVI input and costs around 15K in Mumbai.

The 17" LCD is better than a 19" CRT. The 19" would be able to give you are viewing area of around 18" which a 17" LCd would give you 17" Viewing area.

The BENQ has a 12ms response time, and i did not notice any ghosting. It comes with inbuilt speakers - you may not necessarily use them.

The option is clear, i would not go back to a CRT even for photshop work.
4 reasons.
1. Low power requirements - Power Saving
2. lesser heat generation - the CRT gets hot..which drives my A/C bills higher Hence more power saving.
3. No eye strain, since its not a CRT - (havn't used a CRT - since ages - switched my main-working PC to a laptop 5 years back.)
4. More desk space.

But DVI is important so don't buy an LCD without that..even if cheaper.

I wish i could get a Viewsonic..but only the 19" models have DVI - which is 25K.

me using a friends viewsonic vx912 19" lcd right now...8ms,dvi....compared to my philips 21" crt this monitor is a piece of crap....have to try out atleast 10-12 wallpapers before i find one which looks bearable...video playback is pathetic....most of what i watch is anime, which looks really baad on this monitor...dvd playback is decent....even the dood i exchanged my monitor with is reluctant to return my monitor :) ...the ONLY reason for which i would prefer a lcd over a crt is taht its great for the eyes...no strain whatsoever

apollyon said:
how to tell which one is a 8bit panel??
n btw this monitor was for 30k when he got it...
Look for the type of panel... If its a TN panel, its gonna be 6bit and will generate colors using dithering. If its a PVA/MVA panel, its a true 8bit panel. Most low cost/low response gamer panels are TN. The best is to get a panel with MVA+Overdrive like the viewsonic va910b

Chaos said:
Look for the type of panel... If its a TN panel, its gonna be 6bit and will generate colors using dithering. If its a PVA/MVA panel, its a true 8bit panel. Most low cost/low response gamer panels are TN. The best is to get a panel with MVA+Overdrive like the viewsonic va910b

Thanks for the information. IS viewsonic available in India? The Viewsonic site does not have India in its region selector!

Count_Down said:
Thanks for the information. IS viewsonic available in India? The Viewsonic site does not have India in its region selector!

Yup there is a dealer in Mumbai - ROOP. I have bought from them a few times when they were at Lamington road but they have moved to the suburbs .... too far to go for me.

I have seen their ads in Digit and Chip mags.

Back