Linux ubuntu 10.04 internet woes

paranj

Disciple
Okay I just installed 10.04. Let me tell you people that I am a Linux noob. I have had a bit of experience with previous distros but I am pretty much a newbie. So I setup 10.04 but I can't get my net to connect. It's working fine on Win7 (posting from it). It's a dsl connection. I use an ethernet wire to connect to the net.

I opened terminal and used the 'sudo pppoeconf' command and followed the instructions. This is how I used to get my net working on previous distros but it dosen't seem to work in 10.04. The terminal says that my connection is active but it isn't. The network manager icon isn't visible on the top panel.

I tried the nm-applet command but it says that one instance of nm-applet is already running but I can't see it in the panel! Also installed wicd...

Now when I used to open Firefox before I installed wicd, it used to straight away gimme a 'server not found' screen and after installing and running wicd, Firefox just keeps loading the page but nothing happens and it just stays blank. Same with all other internet apps. No packets are transferred, nothing happens.

Any help ?

To configure your settings in Ubuntu 10.04, follow these steps:-

1. Go to System>Preference>Network Connection

2. Click on DSL tab.

3. Click Add and fill up your username,password,ipv4 settings etc..

4. Click Apply.

5. Now click on the Connection icon in Top panel and you will be able to connect.

Thats it! :)

Do You want to connect in bridge mode? You've to use "pon dsl-provider" to connect if you've configured using "pppoeconf".interface ppp0 is brought up when connected.you can verify by checking "ifconfig" command.

if ,after "pon dsl-provider" invoked and not connecting ,check the details using "plog" command whether it actually connects.if it is connected ,you can make sure the routing is correct with "sudo route add default ppp0"

paranj said:
Dude thanks for the reply but please read my Original post ...I mentioned that the icon in top panel isn't visible.

It seems like you messed up your top panels as the Network Manager icon shows up there by default. Anyways you can restore your panels back to their default settings by following these steps:-

1. Open Terminal and enter the following commands one by one:-

Code:
gconftool-2 -–shutdown

rm -rf ~/.gconf/apps/panel

pkill gnome-panel

Done! And now you will be able to see the Network Manager icon in the top panel.

@prakashan :- Tried that, dosen't work.

@XtechManiac :- Hey thanks man! Lemme try it :).

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Nothing worked so just installed 9.10 again. Everything is working fine in it. Posting from it.

Back