Linux Ubuntu 11.04 Officially Released

^ Linux Mint is an easier version to start off with. I'm not talking specifically about this release, but generally Mint is more newbie friendly.

Ubuntu user interface is pretty user friendly... so i think you would easily be able to use it...

To be frank i am not a linux techie... the linux techie is vishalrao IMO... you can ask him questions regarding Ubuntu i am sure he would be able to answer em... :)

Why they recommend 32-bit ?

I have 64-bit machine, but I installed Ubuntu 11 32-bit as it was available on Chip DVD. Now if I want to install, which one ? 32 or 64 bit ?

Sure I would recommend this release for "newbies"... but if one is a TOTAL clueless and retarded noob, then maybe Mint. :p Though I avoid it and always stick with Ubuntu!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Go for 64 bit for slightly better performance... these days there are really NO issues with 64bit support :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Oh, and thanks Hades for mentioning my name! LOL

With Linux Mint, you get the "Linux Mint" branding all over the place. Instead of google showing all the tools to search better, it just shows Linux Mint all over the place. The fact is, even Ubuntu becomes what you want Linux Mint to be very easily.

Updated my 10.10 to 11.04 last night took a hefty 4 hours for the process :) . Now system is stable and running good :) .

Thanks for the replies.

Would you guys recommend installing it on a VM first to get the hang of it or can it be just installed as a dual boot?

^^First you can try installing it in the VMWare if you like to be on the safer side... And regarding the dualboot thing then i think there is a tutorial on Ubuntu site regarding how to dual boot ubuntu along with windows OS... :)

I am running ubuntu 10.10 desktop Edition on my Netbook (Asus EEEPC 1000H). I remember I tried the Unity interface on the 10.04 edition and hated it because the side bars wouldn't hide and I would have very less space to work with.
Has anyone used this on their netbooks? I could have tried the Live CD but it doesn't work.

baccilus said:
I am running ubuntu 10.10 desktop Edition on my Netbook (Asus EEEPC 1000H). I remember I tried the Unity interface on the 10.04 edition and hated it because the side bars wouldn't hide and I would have very less space to work with.

Has anyone used this on their netbooks? I could have tried the Live CD but it doesn't work.
sidebar can easily be hidden... ccsm> unity plugin > autohide...

uh i dunno why...but im quite reluctatnt to try this one...
maybe its the unity interface...or maybe its the extra power consuption compared to the previous ones...
this one just dosent come across as exciting

The power consumption is kernel specific and applicable for all distros...there is pretty extensive article on power consumption across various kernels in phoronix...you will find higher power consumption starting 2.6.35 kernel. 10.04 with 2.6.32 is the safe bet if you are a laptop user. On my laptop with maverick kernel the battery usage is down by 20 minutes and on 2.6.38 down by additional 10 mins. Plus the heat is much less on the older kernel.....better to stick to lower kernel <2.6.35 if you are a laptop user :p

baccilus said:
So do you recommend me to upgrade the Ubuntu 10.10 on my Netbook?
yeah.. why not? its shiny. its new and its quite user freindly. if u hav lots of programmes installed then upgrade.. else do a fresh install.. always better than upgrade,

Well, good, looks like it's stable, still I'd wait for 1 more week and watch inputs from other members too, and then upgrade :)

I don't want anything to broke down. As that's my Primary OS.

Back