Linux Ubuntu install stuck at "checking the installation"

The ubuntu version is 8.10 and have installed windows XP.

Since I don't have a working CD Drive, burning CD is not an option. And internet connection is not continuous (you need to login) and hence network is inaccessible during boot up.

I have tried installing 1) using mounted ISO image (without CD ROM) and choosing install within windows and also 2) using Wubi Installer with the same ISO image.

Everything goes fine and it asks for reboot. After reboot and splash screen, its getting stuck at "Checking the installation" for a very loooooong time. Its not even showing 0% progress. USB mouse and PS2 keyboard both doesnt respond during that period.

Any solutions?

vishalrao said:
do you have option of writing ISO to USB stick then installing from that? why not try latest 9.10 ?

i don't have a usb stick.. why do we actually need a cd/usb/network to install this? if that is needed why they are saying you can install within windows!! :|

try extracting the iso image to a folder (with winrar or such program) and then run installation form the folder.

maybe after booting, since the mounted iso is not available the installation gets stuck.

6pack said:
try extracting the iso image to a folder (with winrar or such program) and then run installation form the folder.
maybe after booting, since the mounted iso is not available the installation gets stuck.

+1:).:):):):).
10 chars

Back