Audio uDAC 2 vs X-Fi HD USB

whatsinaname

Skilled
I am planning to upgrade from my current setup of

On-Board sound card --> Swans M10

to

DAC/USB Sound Card --> Active Monitors

Now, I like physical volume knobs, so I will need a DAC/Soundcard with the knob.

The NuForce uDAC II, Creative X-Fi USB, Creative X-Fi USB HD are options I am looking at right now.

Is there a reason to get the uDAC II over the X-Fi HD? (I would prefer the X-Fi HD as it has a Phono Pre Amp and I can get rid of my dedicated phono amp.)

uDAC 2

Amazon.com: NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) Headphone Amp and USB DAC (24bit/96kHz): Electronics

X-Fi USB HD

Amazon.com: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB Audio System with THX SB1240: Electronics

Why not use the knob on the speakers?

I'm mostly getting the HRT Music Streamer II in the coming few weeks for my Swans D1080MKIIs

stalker said:
Why not use the knob on the speakers?

I'm mostly getting the HRT Music Streamer II in the coming few weeks for my Swans D1080MKIIs
I have decided to get the Yamaha HS50Ms (A last minute change of mind could make me get the KRK RP6s). Both sets of monitors have individual volume knobs at the back. Can't go fiddling with those whenever I need to change volume.

whatsinaname said:
I was looking for accurate mids/highs. And I'll be able to demo the HS50ms and the KRK RP6s. So it'll mostly be one of those two.
Any updates?
I just bit on the HRT MS II. Apparently it got a minor update that rewires its psu circuitry positively, besides shifting the package to the HRT iStreamer's enclosure.

Not only do my speakers have an easily accesible volume knob, my Logitech Illuminated also has volume control buttons. So, I'm set.

stalker said:
Any updates?

I just bit on the HRT MS II. Apparently it got a minor update that rewires its psu circuitry positively, besides shifting the package to the HRT iStreamer's enclosure.

Not only do my speakers have an easily accesible volume knob, my Logitech Illuminated also has volume control buttons. So, I'm set.

ORdered the uDAC 2. Got it for $109 shipped. Will get here tomorrow. (Free two day shipping!)

I will initially use it with my Swans M10, check if I hear any difference. I plan to take the uDAC and my laptop to Guitar Center this weekend. Audition a few monitors.

abhi_jollyguy said:
@whatsinaname

Why don't u get the Audio Engine A5 with ASUS Xonar Essence STX?

Essence STX is an audiophile soundcard
I would rather spend the 100$ more on speakers than the soundcard/DAC.

And from what I see online, the KRKs and the Yamahas are a step up from the A5s. I'll take a look at the A5s if the KRKs and Yamahas are not to my liking.

abhi_jollyguy said:
If this is the case so go with the KRK Rokit Powered 6.
I just got back from previewing a few monitors. Took my uDAC 2 and Laptop along, with some lossless audio files. Tried the following monitors. They had all of them hooked up to a multi-speaker switcher box (I don't know what it is called).

Mackie MR5, MR8

Yamaha HS50, HS80

KRK PR5, RP6, RP8

Adam A7

Behringer Truth 3031a

JBL 2328P

M-Audio Bx5A, Bx8A

If money were not an object, I would pick the Adam A7. They were brilliant

The Begringer and the Mackie MR8s were very good but size/weight was an issue, along with the price.

The Yamaha HS50M were very very nice considering their price and size. Bass was a bit lower (but also much less bloated) than what I heard on the KRKs. The highs were very sharp/distinct. Over all, a very clean sound. I think I'll order these online this week. :D

whatsinaname said:
I just got back from previewing a few monitors. Took my uDAC 2 and Laptop along, with some lossless audio files. Tried the following monitors. They had all of them hooked up to a multi-speaker switcher box (I don't know what it is called).

Mackie MR5, MR8

Yamaha HS50, HS80

KRK PR5, RP6, RP8

Adam A7

Behringer Truth 3031a

JBL 2328P

M-Audio Bx5A, Bx8A

If money were not an object, I would pick the Adam A7. They were brilliant

The Begringer and the Mackie MR8s were very good but size/weight was an issue, along with the price.

The Yamaha HS50M were very very nice considering their price and size. Bass was a bit lower (but also much less bloated) than what I heard on the KRKs. The highs were very sharp/distinct. Over all, a very clean sound. I think I'll order these online this week. :D
great so which one do u like the most from these? which monitor has gud mids, low end and low end extension?

abhi_jollyguy said:
great so which one do u like the most from these? which monitor has gud mids, low end and low end extension?

Mids - The A7s were my favourite. The HS50, HS80 and the Behringers were next. The Mids of the HS50 and the A7s sounded a bit different. Both were good, but a bit different. I don't know how to explain it. The A7s were a bit more mellow. It comes down to individual preference here I guess.

Highs - Again the A7s. The MR8, JBl, HS50 were good as well.

Lows - The bx8a had very nice bass. I felt that the MR8s and the RP8 extended a bit lower, but didn't have bass as clear as the bx8a.

whatsinaname said:
Mids - The A7s were my favourite. The HS50, HS80 and the Behringers were next. The Mids of the HS50 and the A7s sounded a bit different. Both were good, but a bit different. I don't know how to explain it. The A7s were a bit more mellow. It comes down to individual preference here I guess.

Highs - Again the A7s. The MR8, JBl, HS50 were good as well.

Lows - The bx8a had very nice bass. I felt that the MR8s and the RP8 extended a bit lower, but didn't have bass as clear as the bx8a.
ok always trust ur ears and go with it

Back