dsc02283w.jpg

dsc02284zj.jpg

dsc02285g.jpg

dsc02286u.jpg

dsc02287v.jpg

dsc02289q.jpg

dsc02291u.jpg

dsc02295v.jpg

Firstly let me clearly state that im no expert here. This is my first review ever so do cut me some slack. I have been fortunate enough to try out various audio products over a period of time and hence this mini review. Also whatever i mention will be purely subjective and as per my impression of the product and not based on any other review.

Received these 2 days back from the states.

Equipment used for testing/comparisons: TF10, IE8(cousins borrowed), S4, Fiio e7, Cowon S9, sansa clip+ 2gb.

The iem's arrived in the black eco friendly box (thats what they call it) with the usual foam tips, case, cleaner etc in it.

I started by playing em on my cowon S9 followed by the sansa clip+ and settled for the cowon. Will mention details for the same below but they sound so much better to me with the cowon s9. This was followd by connecting them to the E7, connected to both the S9 as well as the pc via usb.

DESIGN
Out of the box the tf10's really look good. The metal blue finish is impressive and the build quality doesn't look bad to me at all (have heard a lot of negatives about their build quality). The iem's are huge. for better understanding i have attached a pic of the tf 10's besides my S4's and one can clearly see the size difference. There is also a noticeable weight difference between the two. I expected the cable to be so much better. Sigh, seriously not up to the mark. Think they will cut off easily if they get stuck say between a drawer whilst closing one accidentally.
Fit was a bit of a problem for me. They just wouldn't stay on and kept falling off. Got em right by twisting/tweaking the wire near the head of the iem's. Half an hr later the fit seems a lil better. Also i had to push em in quiet often initially to get the bass kicking. Not exactly the most comfortable iem's and if anyone out there is thinking of sleeping whilst having these on, i'd say that's definitely not a very good idea.
The noise isolation is about average. I'd definitely rate the s4's and the ie8's well and truely above these. But do note that i do have fit issues with the tf10 and probably someone who gets a better fit might be in a better position to comment on the same. An hr later and with a much better fit, id still rate the s4's and ie8 higher in terms of isolation.

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS :
Straight out of the box and plugged into the s9, they sound good, really good. Im not sure how much of a difference will a burn in cause but they are just sounding so good right now. I played the iems on Normal, BBE VIVA and BBE MACH3bass mode. As against the s4's the difference between the 3 eq's is significantly highlighted and a lot more prominent. Similar is the story with the ie'8.
Now off goes the s9 and in comes the sansa clip. I didnt like the sound. The sansa's to me with the tf'10 just sound so much brighter and almost artificial. Mind you this is purely my personal impression. The s4's and the ie8 sounds perfect with the sansa but that wasn't the case with the tf10.
Next was the e7 with the S9. The sound started breaking and i took them off immediately. ( i didn't experiment much here cause i didn't want to damage new iem's. )
This was followed by the tf10's + e7 + pc via usb = Perfect

BASS :
The BASS was very punchy but it lacked in genres like soft rock (low end rumble i guess is the term???). The quantity for me was huge but it isnt the best i have heard, Why??? IE8, to me the ie8 beats the tf10 in bass QUALITY. Yes the tf10 has got enormous bass and its not the muddy variant rather tight and punchy, but the ie8 is so much better. I do have a lot of hip-hop on me and the ie8 did sound better there, rock and pop was more or less even steven and i don't have a single jazz or trance track, so nothing to add there.

MIDS :
The mids aint really the highlight of these iem's. Nothing worth pointing out here. It doesnt stand out and Vocals too are not really straight at your face. The bass and treble definitely take the front seat. Im personally not a bid fan of prominent mids. Makes me feel a bit fatigued and dizzy hence my opinion here might seem a bit bias to a lot of folks and hence wont comment more on the mids.

TREBLE :
Lots of quantity and quality here. It doesn't have the sibilance that seems to exist on the S4's. On some tracks it does seem to be on the higher side. I did fiddle with the eq a bit here on the Cowon and the results were different in each eq setting. Could hide the high treble on certain tracks via the eq but i doubt that would be the case on an ipod. People who don't prefer a lot of treble should probably look at the ie8 or the S4. Both the s4 and ie8 have decent treble but it surely aint as sharp as the tf10.
To Sum it up, I honestly don't think the tf10 is an iem for everyone or rather not for every genre of music. Is this a negative?? I believe so, very much. The bass to me is nearly perfect and the mids too are just fine, its the amount of treble that really makes me feel that not everyone will appreciate these iem's. I personally cant stand bollywood vocals on the tf10's. especially the sound of Atif Aslam is unbearable to me on these iem's. It almost made my ears pain and that's never happened before to this extent. Leaving out that, these iem's are a lot of fun but definitely not the best in its class out there.
To me, the key word here is TREBLE, its gonna make you either love or completely hate these iem's.

Certain points i wanted to highlight :

> Now that i own a tf10 and have access to a ie8, i can state with certainty that spending X amount of money, cant really guarantee audio nirvana. I have always loved my S4's and after listening to the tf10's, my love for them have only increased. At half the price or lesser, they have never let me down.
> The tf10's don't need amping at all. Infact the e7 + S9 completely ruined the sound. These iem's are loud. I cant go beyond the 50% volume mark and at 50 too they r pretty loud.
> I'll test the tf10's with the e7 again later. Ideally the sound shouldnt have cracked the way it did. The volume levels were low everything else on face seemed fine to me. Anyways will check this again later.
> Overall between the ie8 and tf10's, id choose the ie8. The treble either drives the tf10 to an absolute positive or complete negative based on one's preference. In this sense, considering the sound signature, build quality and sound isolation along with fit for a confused soul the IE'8 is a safer bet.
> Never heard the Weston 3 or shure se-530 but from what i have read for bass lovers the se-530 is a better pick cause they have a dedicated bass driver which the tf10 doesn't. The tf10 on the other hand spreads across the bass and mids which should give them an edge over the se530 in terms of wider soundstage.

Considering i got these babies in the amazon black friday offer, price v/s performance really leaves me no room to complain.
These are strictly initial impressions and if an 100 hr burn-in causes a significant change in sound, well i hope it does.... Will post the changes if any...

If i had 200$+ to spend on iem's, the tf10's would definitely not be my first choice.

Remember guys first review ever... If i goofed up somewhere, pls do lemme know....

Cheers and have a fantastic New Year...

Very neat for your first review! Hope you do more reviews like this.

On Fit, I am one of those who get a very nice fit even with the stock medium single flanges. I do not have an issue with the comfort or the seal. Isolation is good enough for me, but I don't have IE8 or S4 to compare.

Many people on head-fi and elsewhere comment about the V-Shaped sound and too recessed mids. For me, neither are the mids too recessed nor do they sound terribly V-Shaped. Sure, mids are not special like RE-252 or e-Q5, but they are not as bad to my ears either.

On pairing, I generally tend to think on similar lines. I like my 'musical' IEMs like DDM, HJE900, TF10 and FX700 more with S9 than with Clip+. Me, being a treble head, don't mind "bright" at all - Bright is about right for me :p

edge111hussain, awesome first review man! If I should nitpick, I would have liked better photos.

Was the Sansa clip on flat EQ?

Also, wanted to know, are you saying despite the high treble TF10?

Anyway, congrats on your new buy. Its great that you have good iems like IE8 and S4 for comparison.

I am still listening $30 IEMs, except when I visit the holy shrine of IEMs at esanthoshs place ;)

So will be looking forward to more reviews from you!

@esantosh - The treble seems to have a sparkle in em which the ie8 doesn't. Hence the comment that with ie8 the chances of one being disappointed is far lesser. The S4, though half the price for me does a really good job. I have compared both, the tf10 and s4 side by side. The tf10 does everything better, more bass, better treble, wider soundstage. But the S4's sure aint lagging behind. Saying that, movies sound horrible on the S4.

Considering you like musical iem's, have you tried the X10??

@iaudio - The sansa was tried out on flat and later on bass +6 on rockbox. If you like your treble, the tf10 surely out performs say an ie8 on the whole. See the bass, the mid's, vocals are more or less the same on both the iem's hence the make or break factor is the treble. Personally i cant listen to our bollywood nos with the tf10. Too much spark for me, but then im fortunate to have a S4 around. BTW, i did try the tf's on ma sisters ipod for 5 mins or so too, they sounded better on the pod then the sansa clip+. She has a 80gb classic.

@Strategy - The bass of the ie8 is a lot more hard hitting. Imagine yourself standing in front of a 6ft speaker. the ie8 feels like ur standing 4 feet close and the tf10 around 7ft. Its got this thump, a lot more than a tf10. Also it performs better the other way round. The low spectrum soft bass, like in soft rock. The tf10 to me at times didnt do justice to soft low beats, the ie8 didn't miss any.

My cousins ordered himself custom UE. Lets see how those babies turn out. He will be coming down in early feb, fingers crossed.

Nicely done, I for one can never sit and pen down my thoughts on audio gear, it makes all the fun too serious!

I agree on the amping part completely, they sound much nicer on their own. Although not applicable for the TF10, my current IEMs sound better when amped via the imod's L/O as compared to my S9's headphone out. Haven't used the S9 in 2 months now :(

+1 to what ritvik said.. i love the tf10's. couldnt really find a flaw cept the fit mostly, that too only for longer sessions.. they did everything right.. esp after the cable upgrade... (i suggest u try a new cable hussainbhai)

Nice review ! Though if I had to nitpick, I was hoping for a note on soundstage between the TF10s and the IE8s.

I quite liked the TF10s. I too did not find the midrange very recessed at all. However I could never get a good fit more more than a few seconds. Only with the Comply tips could I get a seal but somehow I dont like the idea of spending $$$ to change the Comply tips every few weeks. Plus even with the tips I never felt them to be very comfortable like my Re1s and RE262s or even the M3s for that matter.

Fit is an issue, definitely and i aint the types who would spend an X amount to get a lil bit enhancement in sound.

I dont think the ie8 and tf10 is a like for like comparison. I was browsing certain reviews today to see what other user felt abt amped tf10;s and most of em have compared the tf10's either with re0 or se530.

@bf1983 - i expected the tf10's to be a huge step up over my old s4's, but to my disappointment that wasn't the case for me. Between the ie8 and tf10, leaving out bass treble and everything else which i have kinda covered in the review, the ie8 makes everything well knitten together in comparison to the tf10. Im not saying that the tf10 sound is segregated, but between the 2, the ie8 makes everything sound so much better.

Nice review mate :).

The fit can always be an issue due to the huge size of the housing .They stick out of your ear like horns ! :rofl: . Other than that I pretty much love their sound .The bass is perfect for me , Ive always been a treble lover -right from RE-0 to RE-252 so TF10 is the only one which actually keeps up with the RE-0 for me . The soundstage is also petty amazing .Its the mids that are slightly disappointing but I hope a upgrade cable will solve that cause when I had heard Bennys TF10 with the upgrade cables I didnt find the mids to be recessed at all whereas just 2 days back when I tried another stock TF10 ,I did find the mids to be slightly lacking compared to bass and treble.

hmmm, seems like a cable upgrade is due in the near future. Any vfm suggestions??? Its got to be on the cheaper side cause i got my eyes on one of those beyer dynamic cans :)

^ Will post show off tomorrow ;). You might actually get it if you look around .The kat is already out :p.

@hussain,

No! I have not tried X10 and at this stage, don't have the intention. Got enough on my hands, or rather my ears already!

After reading all that noise about mids being recessed, I expected the mids to be 5 ft behind my head and 10dB down with respect to bass and treble. Even with the stock cable, they sound like many other IEMs I've tried - nothing terrible at all. I actually prefer the kind of presentation TF10 has. I've been a fan of BA style of presentation - fast, resolving and shredding music into bits and pieces of detail. Bass, because of the quickness is an issue with most BAs as they don't have the body. With TF10, the bass has just enough quantity and also goes deep. Though I prefer DBA-02 to TF10 in terms of treble, it's not that far behind. To me, TF10 is one of the rare IEMs which I just plug-in and enjoy. FX700 is another.

As for upgrade in sound, it depends on what you expect from an upgrade. I prefer TF10 over many of my IEMs. To my ears, they sure belong to the top-tier. I've not tried S4, so can't say where they'll be.

iPods do pair well with TF10. The first time I tried TF10 with Twilight cable, it was out of iPod Touch and awwan LO, which I was testing together. That's why I was hesitant about saying anything concrete about my impressions here (since I was using them with Clip+ before) - http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/which-replacement-cable-for-tf10-179688-3.html#post1681244. The sound stage does widen up and the mids seem a tad forward as I tried them again a couple of days ago with Clip+ again. If it was as easy as changing Panasonic HJE900 cables, I'd done a proper A/B :(

^ You will be getting the S4 soon .:). And I completely agree with , " fast, resolving and shredding music into bits and pieces of detail .TF10 is one of the rare IEMs which I just plug-in and enjoy." Couldn't have described it better Santosh sir !

They are bound to sound terrible amped with various amps. (Various reports and Personal experience)

They are designed to sound unamped (32Ohms i guess) and pretty easy to drive by all major mobiles and MP3 sources.

I would like to point out a few things in your review.

Firstly please mention what quality of files and which songs did you try with the IEM to give the reader a clearer picture of what kind of bitrate and in what genre did you find the mids starved and them treble happy.

Avoid using EQ or mention where you have or have not used EQ to avoid confusion.

Amping will deteriorate the sound with the TF10's depending on the quality of the amp as they do not require amping.

Try them with the iPod with a 320kbps Cd ripped track / ALAC, to the TF10 with Comply tips. You won't find the treble piercing. The S4 sounds muddy, small and sibilant to me. Not that it is unbearable, its just that a lot of detailing is lost in the track through the S4 as compared to the TF10's. I remember trying them with my Sflo2 with Seal's unplugged album and the soundstage sounded congested as compared to the TF10's. The IE8's on the other hand have a much better soundstage than the S4 but they are too bassy for me. :)
All said, its a great review.

Back