ultra cheap but sturdy phone for mom

MHG

Adept
My mom's 4-5 yrs old Samsung X210 is dead. Battery life lasts an hour or so, and charger has gone kaput. Few buttons not working either.

We're looking to replace it with an ultra-cheap but really reliable phone. Budget lesser the better.

Main purpose is to simply make and answer calls and bug me with SMS'es asking if I've eaten lunch.

No extra features needed except alarm clock and perhaps a torch will be welcome. Mom doesn't play games on phone either. Battery life should be REALLY awesome.

And yeah, phone should be rough use friendly. Shouldn't break if I sleep on it. And it should last quite a few years.

Thanks to hostel effect, I've lost touch of outside world. Please suggest phones.

univercell lists 1202 at 770rs... I was surprised by it... (another funny thing in univercell.in is Nokia 3110c at Rs. 2200 :D)

1616 I saw listed at 1.3k

There were a few samsung phones in that range which seem to have lot more features for the same price.

Any ideas on those ?

And how durable is a Spice QT44 ?

MHG said:
univercell lists 1202 at 770rs... I was surprised by it... (another funny thing in univercell.in is Nokia 3110c at Rs. 2200 :D)

1616 I saw listed at 1.3k

There were a few samsung phones in that range which seem to have lot more features for the same price.

Any ideas on those ?

And how durable is a Spice QT44 ?
If u check it will not have buy it now tab.

I would suggest the following,

Samsung E1081 ~ 1k from adexmart (only call and SMS)

Samsung E1160 ~ 1.45k (stereo handsfree FM )

Nokia E2690 ~ 2.6k (1.8" screen, MP3, accepts 8GB microSDHC, VGA cam)

Samsung C3630 ~ 2.65k (2.2" QVGA screen, 1.3MP cam) --> not much details in the net. Seems first released in India.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Samsung C3630: Full Specifications, Price, Videos, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles

Get Nokia 1202(or its upgrade whatever), using since a year now, fantastic phone for the price, battery life is a week with couple of calls and 100 odd msges. Powerful torch and yes built to last, easily takes all the torture, drop twice or thrice a week, throw around and it still survives, dropped it in water once, removed battery, allowed it to dry, had put in the battery again and the phone was fine, as if nothing happened. Dont buy a phone for the features which you dont need.

I'm thinking of Finalizing on Nokia 1280. 1616 seems to ask Rs. 200 more for color which is useless and potentially reduces battery life.

Nokia 1280 vs. Nokia 1616 - GSMArena.com

They BOTH have FM Radio and 3.5mm jacks...

What other advantage does 1616 have over 1280 ?

And how are phones like Micromax Q1 and Spice QT44 and other cheap co's offering ? I was thinking of skipping them because of the durability factor, but a friend has been using QT44 for long and asked me to consider it.

Back