Unable to connect to SQL Server from client machine

deadskin

Disciple
Hello all

I have Sql server (MSDE) installed on my server and when trying to connect it from the client machine , it is giving error like "TIME OUT EXPIRED"

am able to ping server
able to access shared folders from client of server
No antivirus or personal internet security installed on client
What could be the problem for connection rejection??PLs help

1) is the same problem occurring across all clients ?

2) which port is Sql service running on ? - All you able to telnet to the same from the server and the client too ?

3) Did you check if the service has stopped on the server / restarted the service ?

4) check app logs

5) method of authentication problem if SSO is enabled ?

should point you in some direction.....

1) Can you ping the server ?
2) The default port of SQL is 1433; if you havent changed it try telnet <server name or server ip> 1433 (this should result in a black window)
3) If above does'nt work check if the service has stopped on the server and restart the service ?
4) check app logs
5) method of authentication problem if SSO is enabled ?
6) If all the above fails reboot the server and then try. You can also check if Windows firewall is enabled and if yes is the SQL port 1433 allowed through it. If the network is secure (no internet access) I would suggest disabling the firewall totally.

@hanzy: Sorry for including quite some steps from your post.

1. For fresh Installation of MSDE use the switch "DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0" so that it allows remote connections. by default this is 1.

2. From same machine where MSDE is installed, First check if TCP/IP protocol is allowed for MSDE. (use the netork utility for SQL server) by default this is disabled i think.

these steps are for MSDE 2000. if you are using SQL express (2005) steps would be little different.
I hope this helps..

Back