Video Understanding 120 Hz marking on televisions

gourav

Skilled
Hi. My current TV has started limping towards its graveyard and I'm expecting to have to buy a new TV soon.

Since I use my TV a lot for gaming (both PC and PS5), I was thinking of getting a 120 Hz TV. However, having seen their tricks since over a decade, I'm very skeptical about 50" 120 Hz TVs selling for ~35k (Hisense). I feel like they are 60 Hz panels and somehow marketing it as 120 Hz and they're not true 120 Hz panels.

The reason for my suspicions are their labeling. So I was looking at this model called U6k and it shows 120 Hz label. However, then I stumbled upon this model called U7H and it is labeled as 120 Hz Native Panel. This one costs much more, 55k for 55".

What is the meaning of native panel here? Does something called a non-native 120 Hz panel exist? If so, what is that? And does this mean that cheaper TVs don't really have 120 Hz panels?

This review of the U6k says that the TV has a 60 Hz panel, but doesn't talk about why they are labeling it as 120 Hz. This review from rtings seems to indicate it supports 120 Hz, but only at 1080p.

Through this post, I'm trying to better understand these misleading labeling, and also trying to inform others to be careful about these brands if they are looking for a 120 Hz TV.

Yes, you are correct, the U6K model does not have a true 120 Hz display, my speculation is, it is a true motion thing, which generates fake frames in between the real frames, or it could be that it disables some of the post processing to lower the input lag, or combination of both. I also think that this might be able to fake the device that is connected to it like your PC, and the PC will indeed show 120Hz option to set @1080p but internally it might be doing some kind of fakery and outputting every other alternate frame or some BS like that.

Point to be noted -
You can have true 120Hz input rate but the output can be still 60Hz, I believe most iPhones do this, they have their touch panel running at 120Hz refresh rate but the screen is 60Hz, the advantage here is the phone gets lower input lag because the phone processor gets double the input rate, you just see the result at 60Hz.

Same thing might be happening here but in some other janky way, I am not sure.

The catch is in the manuals of both the TVs

U6K

1711049917959.png

U7H

1711049978071.png

Last edited:
Hisense is lying with 120Hz. Their 120Hz TVs are marketed as 240Hz with some marketing term used.

You need to spend 45k or so on Hisense E7K pro for the cheapest 120Hz TV. Hisense U7K for 55k is a great choice as well, U7H is its older model.

U6K sold abroad is different from U6K sold in India, again a deceptive tactive.

Back