Unreal Tournament 3 Demo on FRIDAY

evox

Adept
I just got back from Epic moments ago and thought I'd share this little morsel with you. It looks like the Unreal Tournament 3 demo will be released this Friday. They were putting the finishing touches on it last night; didn't want to release it the same day as the Call of Duty 4 demo (Thursday), so Friday appears to be the big day for the UT3 demo. Stay tuned for the full hands-on preview after I type it up (cough).

Source

very nice!

While reading up too much on the hyped games, you missed a great shooter that's coming in a few days, Painkiller Overdose. I can't believe people in India didn't appreciate the original Painkiller, and have no idea of Overdose!! :S

evox, you talk about originality and innovation in your other posts... you have to admit that Painkiller was the most innovative game of it's time ;)

RiO said:
you have to admit that Painkiller was the most innovative game of it's time ;)

lol rio no it wasn't. it was a doom/serious sam clone set in hell/purgatory or whatever. however, it was an absolute BLAST to play. right up there with the best of them (them refers to mindless, shoot-anything-that-moves kinda games). it had a pretty fun multiplayer mode as well (respawning and nailing someone with the toothpick gun was a rush :eek:hyeah: )

you're right, overdose has gone under the radar. however, this is a semi-professional independent mod that is being published under the painkiller brand. not from the devs of the game. hopefully being a 'budget' title doesn't compromise on quality and fun, but i'm a bit wary.

HL2, easily. It's probably the only game I'll be able to run. TF2 should be good too. I've been hearing the best things about that game alone.

spindoctor said:
lol rio no it wasn't. it was a doom/serious sam clone set in hell/purgatory or whatever. however, it was an absolute BLAST to play. right up there with the best of them (them refers to mindless, shoot-anything-that-moves kinda games). it had a pretty fun multiplayer mode as well (respawning and nailing someone with the toothpick gun was a rush :eek:hyeah: )
Ouch :S You can't compare these 3 games man... c'mon, the weapons, enemies, arenas/maps were pretty innovative and strafing made it even more fun!!

RiO said:
Ouch :S You can't compare these 3 games man... c'mon, the weapons, enemies, arenas/maps were pretty innovative and strafing made it even more fun!!

i'll give you that. the basic premise was the same though, but yeah, the execution was nifty to say the least. good entertainment, and yeah, the movement made for some interesting multiplayer (bunny hopping, not strafe jumping, but whatever... :) )

I have to side with RiO on this one. Painkiller is one of the best games I have played in a while. I have purchased the Legit Gold Edition of the game and I had a real tough time finding it locally. For some it may look like its similar to Serious Sam and Will Rock, but Painkiller is a league apart.

To me its way better than some big titles like DOOM 3 which happens to be one of the titles I had anticipated about for a long time but disappointed. Painkiller was refreshingly fresh for me.

spindoctor said:
the movement made for some interesting multiplayer (bunny hopping, not strafe jumping, but whatever... :) )
There is some level of strafing in Painkiller btw, people call it circle strafing - slightly different from the strafe jumping in VQ3/OSP :)

ut3 offcourse.....

ahem innovation or not any fps which does not have a mass appeal tend to loose appeal ...painkiller i kinda liked the way the game moved but wtf dere wus no one to play with ...altleast here

RiO said:
While reading up too much on the hyped games, you missed a great shooter that's coming in a few days, Painkiller Overdose. I can't believe people in India didn't appreciate the original Painkiller, and have no idea of Overdose!! :S

evox, you talk about originality and innovation in your other posts... you have to admit that Painkiller was the most innovative game of it's time ;)

Firstly, sorry for replying so late. apparently, I didn't subscribe to this thread....or maybe I did and it didn't work.

as for Painkiller, Painkiller was great, and certainly a shot in the arm for the [then] dying and tired FPS genre. sadly, the the fun didn't last too long as it become extremely monotonous after 3-4hours, since you were basically doing the same thing (kill monsters>collect gold>move on). you can say that about Serious Sam too but I guess it all depends on personal tastes. Painkiller certainly gets a thumbs-up from me for it's Art (some of the best monsters you'll ever see) the graphics and the sound. for the gameplay, I liked it. but it wasn't something innovative (*cough* spindoctor's kinda right*cough*) painkiller used the tried and tested formula, added it's own bells and whistles, nothing wrong with that, It's just that, If I am going to kill 78,000 demons from Hell. atleast give a proper reason and maybe 2-3 objectives in the story;)

Okay, this thread is about UT3. so let's not hijack it.

CoD4 Demo comes out tonight! 9:30pm! can't wait:)

Back