Budget 0-20k Upgrade Advice for old pc

Gourav_S

Disciple
Hi, Guys

I want some advice from you guys, about upgrading my old PC.

here is a link to current system specifications :
http://valid.canardpc.com/2771805
& I have a antec 550 power supply.

I have a budget of ₹ 8,000/-. I want to keep using my current motherboard, add more ram, a faster processor and better graphics card.

Any advice is Greatly Appreciated.

Thanks.

You have had an amazing motherboard. Would it support 1066 or 1333MHz ?

Asus mentions this on their site, but I am not sure whether it supports
With new Intel® Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1333 / 1066 / 800 MHz FSB, Intel® Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world.
Adding more DDR2 800MHz RAM is not the best option as it's quite expensive now.... [just 2GB new piece costs 1800 - 2200]

Sililarly adding a newer processor (socket LGA775) where you push yourself to E7500 costing 6.4k & get ONLY a marginal increase in performance would not serve any purpose.
Both these already overshoot your budget.

I think you should hold on & save up and move to the next gen Haswell when it releases in a few months.

what is the main usage of the system?
I suggest you to switch the os to win7 32bit instead of vista 64bit.:p.

If it is used for gaming a new gpu like 7750 (~7k) should help.
Dont know if the processor may bottleneck performance.

Yes it will bottleneck. I did not suggest any GPU as both the newer processor & ram ( 2GB x 2) overshoots his budget by a huge margin (add the GPU and this expenditure comes to a little over 15K

Instead look out for any ( 2GB x 2) DDR2 rams that you may find in the second hand market. Install win 7 64-bit and you will notice a slight performance boost. Otherwise, like I said, just hang around until Haswell.

You have had an amazing motherboard. Would it support 1066 or 1333MHz ?

Asus mentions this on their site, but I am not sure whether it supports

Adding more DDR2 800MHz RAM is not the best option as it's quite expensive now.... [just 2GB new piece costs 1800 - 2200]

Sililarly adding a newer processor (socket LGA775) where you push yourself to E7500 costing 6.4k & get ONLY a marginal increase in performance would not serve any purpose.
Both these already overshoot your budget.

I think you should hold on & save up and move to the next gen Haswell when it releases in a few months.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I think it does support 1333 Mhz with bios update, i do not know whether my motherboard will support Haswell, even with a bios update ! because it(Haswell) supports LGA1150 and not LGA775, (Correct me if i am wrong). Cheers :)

I think it does support 1333 Mhz with bios update, i do not know whether my motherboard will support Haswell, even with a bios update ! because it(Haswell) supports LGA1150 and not LGA775, (Correct me if i am wrong). Cheers :)

Double check on the 1333MHz part and then upgrade your ram to 4GB x 2 = 8GB & get rid of your old 1GB x 2 ddr2 sticks on the sale section.

Oh dear .... even I cannot dream of Haswell on my Z77 board .... so your LGA775 is history (along with mine too) :happy:

lol it was not used much and was at office store for few years, so thats why it has vista :)
now i would like to use it again for some graphics use mainly CAD, Maya and Photoshop, some casual gaming if possible.

Yes, you are right. Haswell will be based on new socket. So new generation of motherboards will be arriving with its launch and those mobo are not even supporting current gen i5 and i7.

Double check on the 1333MHz part and then upgrade your ram to 4GB x 2 = 8GB & get rid of your old 1GB x 2 ddr2 sticks on the sale section.

Oh dear .... even I cannot dream of Haswell on my Z77 board .... so your LGA775 is history (along with mine too) :happy:

Yes will do and should i wait for haswell so old architecture chips will drop in price.
Thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1366356285][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yes, you are right. Haswell will be based on new socket. So new generation of motherboards will be arriving with its launch and those mobo are not even supporting current gen i5 and i7.

Thanks for your reply.

Would suggest to go for a complete system upgrade. No point in trying to upgrade the existing stuff. You are already running the RAM in Dual Channel config.

Would suggest to upgrade to Windows 7. It should help in increasing speeds. Also, rather than the 64bit, the 32bit would be better, but would require a complete re-install of Windows.

Also, regarding drivers, use one which is best for performance. Need not be the latest.

Core 2 (Conroe/Penryn/...) (LGA775) --> Core i 1st gen (Nehalem/Westmere) (LGA1156) --> Core i 2nd/3rd gen (Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge) (LGA1155) --> Core i 4th/5th gen (Haswell/Broadwell) (LGA 1150)

Would suggest to go for a complete system upgrade. No point in trying to upgrade the existing stuff. You are already running the RAM in Dual Channel config.

Would suggest to upgrade to Windows 7. It should help in increasing speeds. Also, rather than the 64bit, the 32bit would be better, but would require a complete re-install of Windows.

Also, regarding drivers, use one which is best for performance. Need not be the latest.

Core 2 (Conroe/Penryn/...) (LGA775) --> Core i 1st gen (Nehalem/Westmere) (LGA1156) --> Core i 2nd/3rd gen (Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge) (LGA1155) --> Core i 4th/5th gen (Haswell/Broadwell) (LGA 1150)

Thanks For your reply.

Back