Graphic Cards Upgrade for 8800GT and RAM

Since my 8800GT died on me and its out of warranty, i am looking for a new graphics card now. :yes:

MY PC configuration is as below

MB : MSI P45 Platinum
PSU : POV Black Diamond BD500W
Ram : Corsair Dominator DDR2 CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 (total 2G ram)

I was eying for the below one

sapphire amd/ati hd 7750 1 gb gddr5 graphics card

Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

But i am a little skeptical as i think my existing rig will become a bottleneck to the GPU. Could somebody clear my doubt

Also please suggest a single 4GB module or a 2GB module to go with my existing RAM. :D

Thanks in advance guys..:bigok:

The Ram is kinda low but what processor do you have running there? If its a C2Q then there shouldn't be any bottleneck but anything less than that and you might see a slight bottleneck occuring.

The processor will hold up fine but what is the point of this upgrade, the HD7750 is not a great graphic card for gaming, get something with more muscle --> nVidia GTX650Ti OR better. Cheers!

For RAM, best you go for another stick from Corsair's XMS2 series but the price will be high (compared to equivalent DDR 3 modules), but this is the only option I found --> http://www.theitwares.com/kingston-ddr2-240pin-sdram-ddr2-800mhz-6400-desktop-p-2427.html.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

The processor will hold up fine but what is the point of this upgrade, the HD7750 is not a great graphic card for gaming, get something with more muscle --> nVidia GTX650Ti OR better. Cheers!

For RAM, best you go for another stick from Corsair's XMS2 series but the price will be high (compared to equivalent DDR 3 modules), but this is the only option I found --> Kingston 2GB DDR2 240-Pin SDRAM DDR2 800Mhz (PC2 6400) Desktop Ram.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

NOOOO it wont
i had an E6600 and 8800GT set up my processor was severely Bottle necking my graphics card i mean in games like AC3 and FC#, LAnoire i got only like 15-20 FPS Average, after upgrading to q6600 iam now getting around 35-50FPS CONSISTENTLY dude you gotta change your processor other wise there is not point in upgrading your GCARD

NOOOO it wont
i had an E6600 and 8800GT set up my processor was severely Bottle necking my graphics card i mean in games like AC3 and FC#, LAnoire i got only like 15-20 FPS Average, after upgrading to q6600 iam now getting around 35-50FPS CONSISTENTLY dude you gotta change your processor other wise there is not point in upgrading your GCARD

Seems OP was not having any such reason (at-least) not that he mentions. The reason put forth for replacing the 8800GT is 'out of warranty'.

Maybe he has a newer version of Core 2Duo's processor, not the original Conroe piece. Most chances a Core E7*** (rebadged as a Pentium Dual-Core).

But now I am speculating too much, let OP clarify what he needs. Anyway upgrading an LGA775 system in this day and age will mean money down the drain.

Opps i didnt read the OP's post ,

Obviously if you are thinking about upgrading a LGA775 system its better to look for second hand components i for one took a gamble upgrading my e6600 to q6600 ,i originally thought of upgrading to a gtx650ti but that plan got dropped when i bought the q6600 the thing is now after upgrading to a quad core proccy all my games run at constant 35-50FPS with medium to high setting. my upgrade to q6600 saved me around 10K!!! anyhow to the OP if your going to upgrade your Gcard make sure your processor doesnt bottle neck the upgrade. these days most of the games are more CPU dependent rather than GPU.

these days most of the games are more CPU dependent rather than GPU.

I think it is the reverse considering graphic cards have improved by leaps and bounds whilst CPU's are limited by the computational prowess of our console friends.

Thanks for the valuable comments guys..

Let me clarify my intentions clear, so that you guys could have more clarity

1) Only upgrading the card since its not working and its out of warranty
2) No intention of upgrading any other component for gaming purpose.
3) No time for hard core gaming like yester years. :|..
4) Need to upgrade it urgently since there is no on-board graphics chip in the motherboard.
5) Also looking for 3D output (casual gaming & movies) as i will be getting a 720p projector within 2 months (Optoma gt750XL or GT750E). BTW there will be a dedicated BRD player for movies. Also thinking of getting the PS3 and ditchng the Wii , i have.

Do not buy new RAM. Check in the market or locally for 2nd hand/used RAM. Buying new RAM now would be foolish. Also the 7750 is a great card, go for it.

HI , sorry for hijacking this thread, but i think its kinda OK since the OP already got his card.
Coming to the point, I have the following system.

E5200 C2D------- , 4 gigs XMS2 DDR2,--------- Biostar P43-A7 motherboard,--------- and Palit 9600GT ---- oh and a Cooler master Extreme power 390W smps.

Now i am planning to upgrade my 9600GT cos i have managed to get a good deal for the same.

Now if i do go for the upgrade i have shortlisted the following options:

a PowerColor AMD/ATI HD 7750 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card - PowerColor: Flipkart.com or Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 Graphics Card - Sapphire: Flipkart.com and the third one is Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR3 Graphics Card - Sapphire: Flipkart.com

have two queries.

Firstly i need to make sure the hardware works, i ask this because i am skeptical about the power requirments of these cards. My current motherboard is PCI2.0 compliant and my graphics card needs additional 6-pin power cable to work.
Of the above card one is 2.0 compliant, one is 2.1 compliant and other is pci 3.0 compliant. I know pci is forwards and backwards compliant, but i guess pci 2.1 spec provides more power to the card then 2.0 and the none of the cards seem to have any 6pin power connectors to them.

Hence firstly i need to establish what will work and what not.

Secondly, i am skeptical if my processor will hold up the performance of my card. Is it advisable to do the upgrade at all?????

E5200 C2D------- , 4 gigs XMS2 DDR2,--------- Biostar P43-A7 motherboard,--------- and Palit 9600GT ---- oh and a Cooler master Extreme power 390W smps.

Now i am planning to upgrade my 9600GT cos i have managed to get a good deal for the same.

have two queries.

Firstly i need to make sure the hardware works, i ask this because i am skeptical about the power requirments of these cards. My current motherboard is PCI2.0 compliant and my graphics card needs additional 6-pin power cable to work.

None of the cards have a very high power consumption hence do not have a 6-pin power connector.

All PCIe slots are physically compatible with the past generation but the effective bandwidth provided has improved over time. Still at this level of performance I don't think you shall loose anything. So don't worry on that count.

I am more worried about your SMPS + processor not being able to hold up the graphics card and thus the situation will remain more OR less unchanged.

If you still want to upgrade the graphic card, I suggest the following --
AMD HD7750
Corsair CX v2430W OR FSP Saga II 400W

Hope this helps and wishing all on this thread a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year, Cheerio!

I am a bit confused from the comment above. My pc has done well for the last 4 years with a 9600GT with that SMPS, shouldnt it do fine if i replace my 9600GT with a 7750 which according to you is a lesser power card.
Ive searched and found Max TDP's em to be 95W for 9600GT and 55W for 7750. I want someone to second me on the fact that since i use a spec 2.0 pci board, the newer card will run on it, as 7750 is a pci 3.0 (which according to me maybe supplies more power to the card from the mother board directly and hence there is no need of seperate 6 or 8 pin power connector as a 6 pin power connector is required for my 9600GT).

Secondly will it benifit me if i get a second hand q6600 aswell>?

Thats a interesting point about the PCI3.0 powering issue, but I highly doubt it would be an issue considering you would be running an even lower tdp card with a light weight C2D lol. Your smps should be fine.

Depends on the cost of the Q6600. Most of these last gen quad cores go quite expensive (3k+) making them hardly worth the upgrade (even when overclocked).

Ive searched and found Max TDP's em to be 95W for 9600GT and 55W for 7750. I want someone to second me on the fact that since i use a spec 2.0 pci board, the newer card will run on it, as 7750 is a pci 3.0 (which according to me maybe supplies more power to the card from the mother board directly and hence there is no need of seperate 6 or 8 pin power connector as a 6 pin power connector is required for my 9600GT).

Secondly will it benifit me if i get a second hand q6600 aswell?

As far as I know with each revision of the PCIe standard the only thing that has improved is the data-bandwidth provided to the card, the power provided via the physical slot is a fixed ~75W and thus the HD7750 with its frugal power consumption does not require a 6-pin power cord from the SMPS.

No point investing in such an old platform, the performance gained will be offset by the power consumption.

Back