Graphic Cards Upgrade Gpu/Cpu

Atlantis

Disciple
Hi !

Looking at my current configuration, I am looking for an upgrade for either the cp or gpu
1.Buy an Ati 5850

or

2.Upgrade the cpu to a quad core.

Kindly give your suggestions as well as any other choices.

Try and get a good deal on a q9550 or something like that 9x50 series that will extend the lifetime of your system. After that add a 5850 and your games will rip.

Your current configuration is balanced.Just add 2 GB RAM.Your monitor size is 19 so anything more than HD 4850 would be overkill.I don't see any point in upgrading now unless you want DX 11 or planning to buy 22/24" monitor in future.

Which PSU you have?
At what resolution you play?
And don't go for GTX 280 , better get HD 5850 which costs just 16k and has DX 11 support. It is even better than GTX 285 which costs 20k+ .

Thanks for replying !

Try and get a good deal on a q9550 or something like that 9x50 series that will extend the lifetime of your system

could you pls tell me the different quad core processors that I could buy which would certainly have an improvement from my existing c2d. And what would be the sweet spot, between price and performance. I would not like to go for a processor which gives me very little performance change.At the moment its just one upgrade so cpu or gpu ?

Your current configuration is balanced.Just add 2 GB RAM.Your monitor size is 19 so anything more than HD 4850 would be overkill.I don't see any point in upgrading now unless you want DX 11 or planning to buy 22/24" monitor in future.

yes I should have mentioned I have upgraded my ram and now the total is 4 gb. I have always been curious about the overkill subject. What would the ideal processor be for a 5850.
Say for example I play a game like splinter cell conviction at 1440x900 and my system has a 5850, would it make a difference in fps from the ati 4850.
I am basically looking at gaming performance improvement and not any other applications.
Certainly there is always a debate about games not optimized for more than 2 cores and the sli, crossfire being limited to certain games.

I play games like ac2, modern warfare2, call of pripyat , arkham as, etc

more suggestions please !

IMO first upgrade ur CPU to quad core and RAM then buy HD5850 ...

E6750 is bottleneck to HD 5850 . I also face bottleneck problem even i OCed my E4500 upto 3.1GHz .

So think first then buy ...

Need some more suggestions as to which quad core to go for, and how much will it cost me.

Since a lot of members have advised to get a 5850 later, it would be good to get a quad core that actually performs rather than the feel good factor of a high system. Since the quad core ranges from a Rs 7000 to Rs 17000 need one that suits the current build and has options for a future 5850.

pavasedge said:
Which PSU you have?
And don't go for GTX 280 , better get HD 5850 which costs just 16k and has DX 11 support. It is even better than GTX 285 which costs 20k+ .

err he is getting used second hand gpu gtx 280 for 9k from me :p i am asking if he need update for better deal

cause the gtx 280 beat 5770 in some review cause of giving more fps resolution's at full HD :)

the 5850 cost 15-16k so 6-7k extra more so cannot spend for more money for new gpu ;)

pavasedge said:
Which PSU you have?

Since i have a 14" CRT the max i play now is 1024 * 728. I do not have any probs with playing any games in max setting at this resolution.

However i am gonna get a new LCD probably 20 or 21" so i was looking out for a decent upgrade to my GFX since 8800GT will not meet the demands of 20". I saw Arun.P is selling GTX 280, so was trying to figure out whether it will be a good upgrade to go for it?

Though exact model is not specified, OP has a P45 chipset Mobo.

Sorry updated my sig, the model is an gigabyte ep45 ud3l.

ok buy a 5850 later....try to sell ur mobo & cpu in member's market and buy a new mobo and quad cpu

the board is a gigabyte ep 45 ud3l just took it six months back, so board upgrade for a quad is out...

you will have problem with availability of the Qx quad cores ... atlest i had when i was looking to get a quad core for my pc a couple months back... here in chennai there seemed to no new cpus(fresh stock) inc for the 775 socket. I would suggest you to hold on to this rig till next year since Intel is going to change the socket next year ... if you still want to upgrade get a quad from the second hand market. Try and get the Q9XXX as these have more cache then the Q8XXX which are currently available in the market.

Yeah a little confused at this stage, with the i7 around is it worthwhile to get a quad at 15k to 17k and then again if its i7 then a new board and ram Lol its never ending....

Thought about the gpu 5850 ,then again gaming at 1440 x900 and a c2d overkill....

Get the accelerator. No point upgrading to Quad core LGA775, unless you can find a good second hand deal, which would be an indefinite wait. Since you probably game on 1400x900 the CPU should hold up decent enough in tandem with the GPU.

Back