Budget 0-20k Upgrade Or Not i3 4150

What To Do

• Upgrade

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Not To Upgrade

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Dear Team

I Have an i3 4th gen build from 2013 , pc is casually used for taking backups and sometimes to check email etc , the motherboard conkedoff last week and i am in a delima to what to do now. Either i spend around 8K and buy a H81 Board and continue using setup , on other hand eiching to buy secong hand i5 6 or7Gen , Board & Ram for around 16k . since i have 10 k in hand and recently added 4GB Ram And 500 GB SSD to system i am unable to decide.

What say ?

I would advise to upgrade. I have a similar platform, having extracted every last bit of performance from my 2012 gaming PC, I do not see it going for more than a year or two.

There aren't many working H81 exist today. Even if you get one, it won't last much.

For 8-10k you can get a brand new AM4 mobo and Athlon 3000g. It'll be much faster than your 4th gen core i3. Offload your old proc here for 1.5k

does mid range AMD Still Have Heating Problems ? thinking to buy Mid range AM4 Board Now and use it with amd chip with integrated graphics and update later . i am also offered 8th Gen i7 With New B365 Board For 24k.

does mid range AMD Still Have Heating Problems ? thinking to buy Mid range AM4 Board Now and use it with amd chip with integrated graphics and update later . i am also offered 8th Gen i7 With New B365 Board For 24k.
I think you meant AMD bulldozer chips. Those are long gone and forgotten. Ryzen chips are much efficient. Nowadays Intels have heating problems.

Somebody is looting you by offering 8th gen platform for 24k. If you are spending 24k then get something that was released in this decade. There's not much performance difference between 4th gen and 8th gen intels. If you have to buy Intel then go with latest 12 gen. Current gen intels have really caught up with AMD in terms of performance. AMD is current overall performance and efficiency winner, in case you missed tech news from last 5 years. You can easily build 12th gen machine under 24k. However, it might be difficult to build budget computer with AMD chips as AMD doesn't sale low end/budget chips like Intel. Intel 12th gen chips are relatively cheaper than 8th gen (as a new).

Another thing, the way the things are, I don't think windows 12 which is slated to release next year will support 8th gen Intel.

Somebody was selling a 4th gen 4C, 8T Xeon chip for around 3k which should be compatible with your board. Depending on what you are targeting, it honestly might do just fine in most games.
I still know many folks playing games on i7 4770k just fine so that could be a good cheap upgrade without changing a whole lot.

Somebody was selling a 4th gen 4C, 8T Xeon chip for around 3k which should be compatible with your board. Depending on what you are targeting, it honestly might do just fine in most games.
I still know many folks playing games on i7 4770k just fine so that could be a good cheap upgrade without changing a whole lot.
I have bought one such proc. It'll need separate graphics card.

OP already has working 4th gen processor but his mobo is broken. Buying another 4th gen proc may not be in his best interest. And as per his description, he doesn't game.

Dear Team
Either i spend around 8K and buy a H81 Board and continue using setup , on other hand eiching to buy secong hand i5 6 or7Gen , Board & Ram for around 16k.
You're way overestimating the rates. I don't think it's worth more than that as you can get a new 10100F+board for 11k
Someone is selling 16GB DDR4 RAM for 4k, so putting all these together you'll have a decent base going for around 10k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back