PC Peripherals Upgrade rig, budget 6k!!

Neo Anderson

Disciple
hi guys. I'm plannin to do a small upgrade to my rig. I need suggestion from all of you as I'm really confused at what is best to look out for with my existing setup. I really think the cpus what is holding me back. but also feel I shud buysome new ram :ashamed:
Q: What is your budget?
6K (can stretch a bit though)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
1. CPU - Intel E4400
2. Motherboard - GA-G31-S3L
3. GPU - nVidia 9800GT 512ddr3
4. RAM - Transcend 2X1GB 667MHz
5. Monitor - Dell 19"
6. SMPS - Cooler Master eXtreme 600W

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Not sure what to keep and what to give up. the mobo's brand new so am gonna keep that for sure. is it a good idea to get a new proccy or just overclocking this one with a cooler is good to go? or get some new ram like ddr2 1066?

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
1. Need you guys to help me on that !! :hap2:

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
1. Yes, will upgrade the following within 6-8 months

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Open to online purchase. But would prefer goin to SP Road if I get a good deal over there. So guys from bangalore please chip in your suggestions for sure

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
1. Gaming
2. Browsing
3. Desktop Processing
4. Download rig, 24x7 operation
5. Watching HD movies

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
cod:MW2. And then MW2 one more time. Then again. then 3 more times. :eek:hyeah:
I'll mostly play fpses

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
1. Gaming - 1280x728
2. Desktop - 1440x900

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
1. Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
1. Windows XP (mostly)
2. Windows 7

waiting for you guys to bump in and help me out :cool2:

bond_212 said:
hi, why do u want to upgrade ??
are u having some issues in running some programs or games ?

I feel that the cpu n ram are holdin me back at some points. mostly at gaming. Basically I am looking for a perf boost in gaming. my old mobo didnt let me do any upgrades but am keen to go for a small upgrade as i'd be using the rig for further 9-10 months before getting rid of it totally. I believe I can extract sm juice out of the e4400 by overclocking it (which my old mobo never let me do) so am looking forward buyin a good cpu cooler. but am confused whether to go for a new cpu+ram rather than trying things on the old one.

Overclock the E4400, should do ~3Ghz/1066Mhz FSB on the stock cooler/voltage.
Sell the two 1GB 667 Mhz sticks and get a single 2GB 800Mhz one.
This would be the most cost-effective way to extract some extra performance.

If you still feel the need for more juice, add another 2GB 800Mhz stick/buy a 2x2GB 800Mhz/1066Mhz low latency RAM kit, sell the E4400 for a new E5200/5300(the former should cover atleast half the latter's price) and OC the E5xxx past 3.3Ghz/1200Mhz FSB(as much as stock cooler/voltage allows).

If possible, sell the CM600W and get a Corsair CX400, Seasonic 380W or Corsair VX450 depending on budget and availability.

All of this is easily do-able on a 6k budget along with the sale of current components. You should be able to max out most(nearly all) current games.

Back