Budget 0-20k Upgrade rig for gaming.

piper

Diaper-daddy
Disciple
Hi, I need suggestions for CPU+Mobo for gaming. Games in mind : BF3, MoH:WF, MaxPayne3, (GTA5, BF4).

My initial idea is to opt for the AMD CPU like FX8120 or FX6100. But I've decided to hear out the Intel suggestions, so please. Let the suggestions begin.

1. Q: What is your budget?
    • 15K <- For CPU+MOBO only

1. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD X2 240
    • Motherboard - Asus M4n68TM
    • GPU - ATI HD 6850 1GB
    • RAM - Corsair 4GB
    • Monitor - Dell ST2210
    • SMPS - Seasonic 620W Bronze
    • Cabinet - Cooler Master Elite 310
    • (please mention the rest in above format)

2. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Everything except CPU+Mobo
  3. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - AMD FX 8210
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
  4. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Yes, will upgrade the following within 12-18 months
    • GPU - Any higher model depending on gaming performance
  5. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase
  6. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • Yes/No
  7. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Browsing
    • Download rig, 24x7 operation
    • Watching HD movies

8. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Anything with good reliability, high(er) warranty and after sales service.
  9. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • Battlefield 3
    • Max Payne 3
    • Medal of Honor : Warfighter
    • GTA 5
    • Battlefield 4
  10. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1920x1080
    2. Desktop - 1920x1080
  11. Q: Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes
  12. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 64 bit

@piper You'd go for this Non-Overclocking Combo as the overclocking combo would go for 22k easily so this is the best within your budget-
Intel i5 3450-12.5k
Gigabyte B75M D3H-4.5k
You'll have to add 2k but you'll get the latest addition Ivy Bridge processor and you won't have to upgrade this for next few years.
Hope this helps.:)

If you are on a strict budget then get a Intel i5-2310 or i5-2400 ~ 10.5k. There is just a ~5%-8% in performance between the i5-2400 and the i-5 3450.

Thanks for the input.

I have heard that I5 2500K is at present the best bang-for-buck CPU one can get for gaming (and it overclocks well). The price for that is around 12k+ . Is that recommended over the i5 3450 (which can't be OCed right)?

What about motherboard? On Flipkart I can see only 3 ASRock motherboards compatible with 2500K. I have no idea of Intel chipsets, which are good, etc. And compatibility across sockets/chipsets for Sandy bridge/Ivy bridge?

Thanks for the input.

I have heard that I5 2500K is at present the best bang-for-buck CPU one can get for gaming (and it overclocks well). The price for that is around 12k+ . Is that recommended over the i5 3450 (which can't be OCed right)?

What about motherboard? On Flipkart I can see only 3 ASRock motherboards compatible with 2500K. I have no idea of Intel chipsets, which are good, etc. And compatibility across sockets/chipsets for Sandy bridge/Ivy bridge?

Look if you will buy the Core i5 2500k, you will need motherboards that are capable of over-clocking you cannot pair this processor with the GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H recommended to you earlier with the Core i5 3450 because the B75 chipset does not support over-clocking, you will need to pair the processor with a Z77 based motherboard + CPU cooler that will allow you to over-clock the processor.

For more on the motherboard chipset(s) head here -- http://www.anandtech.com/show/5728/intel-z77-panther-point-chipset-and-motherboard-preview-asrock-asus-gigabyte-msi-ecs-and-biostar / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets#5.2F6.2F7_Series_chipsets.

Lower end Intel chipset(s) like the -- Intel H77 / H67 / H61 are incapable of over-clocking as are the business edition chipset the Q65 / B75.

This will take your budget to as high as ~30000/- + for just these 3 components.

In my view I suggest that you forsake over-clocking and go for the Core i5 3450 + GIGABYTE motherboard as recommended by Jakob.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Yes 2500K is VFM but you'll have to get 2500K+Asus P8Z77M-PRO-25k so this overclocking combo is 10k above your budget,AS Rock mobo's are dodgy so it's better if you avoid them.Also you'd have to buy a 3-4k cooler to overclock so it adds to the budget.
Thanks for the input.

Cool, more good info coming in.

My basic target is a gaming PC and I do not wish to upgrade these core components for at least 2-3 years. I can consider upgrading my GPU at a later stage as required.

So will the i5 3450 be able to last me that long?

(Is it worth waiting for Piledriver to see if AMD has finally caught up?)

My basic target is a gaming PC and I do not wish to upgrade these core components for at least 2-3 years. I can consider upgrading my GPU at a later stage as required.

So will the i5 3450 be able to last me that long?

Stick to the Core i5 3450, it should last you for 2 years, I cannot predict how well its performance curve will be though but till the new generation of consoles do not hit us the processor will be very capable for gaming tasks.

No point waiting for AMD offerings in the wake of the Bulldozer fiasco.

Hope this answers your query, Cheerio!

How much of a performance difference is there between the 2500k and the 3450?

I feel 2500k will have better resale value/future proof as at a later stage I can get a mobo that supports OCing (from the forum) hence it might last me longer.

How much of a performance difference is there between the 2500k and the 3450?

I feel 2500k will have better resale value/future proof as at a later stage I can get a mobo that supports OCing (from the forum) hence it might last me longer.

Actually the entire setup will turn redundant with the advent of the Haswell series chips. The Core i5 3450 has roughly the same performance as the Core i5 2500k but at lower power consumption because the older chip is rated ~95W TDP whilst the new processor has a stated TDP ~77W.

The Core i5 2500k is already 2 years old, who will you sell it too after ~3 years and for what profit?

About buying the motherboard supporting over-clocking of the processor from the forum Member's Market you have a valid point.

If there is negligible performance difference between 2500k and 3450 then I would prefer 2500k (it seems really popular, lots of folks have bought it).

Which mobo is good with the 2500k? The B75M D3H mobo specs state that 1600MHz RAM will be supported only is 22nm CPU is used : URL.

If there is negligible performance difference between 2500k and 3450 then I would prefer 2500k (it seems really popular, lots of folks have bought it).

Which mobo is good with the 2500k? The B75M D3H mobo specs state that 1600MHz RAM will be supported only is 22nm CPU is used : URL.

Okay go for the Core i5 2500k.

Yes you will be unable to run 1600MHz RAM along with the GIGABYTE B75-D3H motherboard, it does not support Sandy-Bridge XMP setups.

The performance difference is not evident in real world performance but as a whole the system will draw lesser power for the same task and efficiency increases.

But if you want to over-clock for sure later, go for 1600MHz RAM modules with this build. As I already have told you, you will be unable to over-clock the -k marked processor until you toss it in a Z77 / P67 / Z68 chipset based motherboard and you simply do not have the budget to get any of these (even second-hand) as of now. So get the GIGABYTE motherboard for now and later swap it for a Z77 based solution.

Will the 1600MHz RAM run at 1600MHz or is the XMP support mandatory for that?

This mobo seems to be a standard suggestion as seen on some other threads. Any competitors?

Will the 1600MHz RAM run at 1600MHz or is the XMP support mandatory for that?

This mobo seems to be a standard suggestion as seen on some other threads. Any competitors?

No the 1600MHz RAM modules will run on ~1333MHz frequency, the XMP compatibility support is mandatory between the motherboard and the processor, if they do not match it shall not function. Simple.

Yes this is a good budget motherboard for the price, with a goodly amount of connectors, DIMM's and ports (with front USB 3.0 port adapter). No competitors that can offer its feature set at such cut-throat prices, hence this has been recommended above all.

^So shouldn't I just opt for 1333MHz modules? Although I feel that 1600MHz are recommended by everyone for gaming build, even if in this case they only run at 1333.

I am planning for Corsair Vengeance 4GB or 2x4GB.

^So shouldn't I just opt for 1333MHz modules? Although I feel that 1600MHz are recommended by everyone for gaming build, even if in this case they only run at 1333.

I am planning for Corsair Vengeance 4GB or 2x4GB.

What is your plan, do you plan to over-clock the chip later OR not?

If you do, then the the 1600MHz RAM module is a no-brainer. If not, then 1333MHz is also okay because the modules will run at those speeds until you get a Z77 based motherboard and over-clock the processor.

I'll definitely look to OC it later. Selling this mobo and getting a used mobo from forums or a new one if/when price drops would be a more feasible option at a later stage (say 1.5yrs down the line) than opting for a completely new build.

But considering that very few games today are CPU intensive, and make full use of 2 cores or more means that the 2500k should be good for gaming for 2yrs at least.

I prefer to game at 1080p and currently have a 6850. It is said that at higher resolutions the processing shifts from CPU to GPU. Is that correct?

And what about bottlenecking? For which current GPU would the 2500k be a bottleneck.

btw, Alpha17 you are being very prompt and helpful so this is an excellent experience at TE for me.

I'll definitely look to OC it later. Selling this mobo and getting a used mobo from forums or a new one if/when price drops would be a more feasible option at a later stage (say 1.5yrs down the line) than opting for a completely new build.

But considering that very few games today are CPU intensive, and make full use of 2 cores or more means that the 2500k should be good for gaming for 2yrs at least.

I prefer to game at 1080p and currently have a 6850. It is said that at higher resolutions the processing shifts from CPU to GPU. Is that correct?

And what about bottlenecking? For which current GPU would the 2500k be a bottleneck.

Well then go ahead with the Core i5 2500k, most games these days are happy with its dual core -HT sibling the Core i3 2120. Only strategy games and newer MMORPG's / multiplayer games (BattleField 3) start to tax the living day-lights out of the dual-core.

Yes at higher resolutions the texture details and AA / AF fidelity slide the performance meter in the GPU's purview.

For a Core i5 2500k the highest graphics card I can recommend is the AMD HD7970 3GB OR GTX670, once you start over-clocking the chip, you can also go for a dual / multi-GPU set-up. The CPU as off now is well powered for the current crop of graphics cards.

Thanks for your kind words and glad you are liking it here, Cheerio!

As you say, the 670 and 7970 are good with the i5 2500k, maybe something beyond those GPUs would make this CPU a bottleneck. That is comforting, considering it'll be a while before I upgrade my GPU to any of those, and that I'm not considering upgrading my CPU before any of the other components.

Any motherboard cheaper than the Gigabyte one which you might recommend. As I'm thinking of a mobo upgrade sometime in future whenever I get a good deal, I should invest the bare minimum on a mobo now. Dual PCI slots are not needed, neither is USB3.

Back