Budget 41-50k Upgrade suggestion please

src2206

Adept
I need help in buying/building a new PC. My budget and requirements are as follows:

Budget: 40K~50K

Existing hardware setup: 1. Intel Core2Duo 1.8GHz+ASUS P5B-VM MB+CoolerMaster Processor Fan
2. HDDs- 1 IDE (80GB), 3 SATAII (160GB, 250GB, 500GB), 1 SATAIII (1TB), LG DVD writer
3. 5GB DDR2 RAM (1+1+1+2)
4. XFX HD4700 ATi GPU with 512MB DDR5 RAM
5. SMPS- 460W Dual rail power supply (CoolerMaster)
6. LG 25" IPS monitor
7. JBL speaker

Components from the existing setup that you intend to keep: Monitor, SMPS, Speakers, DVD writer and HDDs

Components that you have in mind for your new PC: Graphics card

Plans to upgrade in the future: no, I like to make it future proof, as much as possible.

Places from where you will buy components along with your location: Kolkata

Are you comfortable with buying secondhand components? : No

Intended use of the PC [gaming/office use/rendering/HD playback etc] : 1. General PC usage

2. Extensive use for editing Photos and Videos (I am a professional photographer). So I use resource heavy software like Ps, Lr etc.

3. Gaming - very rare

4. Movie watching

Brand preferences: anything but ASUS

Monitor resolution and size: do not need one

Will you be overclocking your setup?: absolutely NOT

Which OS will you use?: Windows 7

I thinking about at least 16GB RAM, a good Graphics Card and Intel Core i7 processor. I have nothing against AMD, but I can not compromise on processing power as that would mean longer processing time for each RAW file that I need to edit. So actually, I need a "lightning fast" PC.

I intend to retain the Monitor, SMPS, Speakers and HDDs for sure. Though I may have to ditch the IDE one, as it seems newer MBs do not incorporate IDE ports. I am not so sure about the Graphics card, whether to keep it or not.

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply.
I was more inclined to i7 as that provides better processing power than i5, as far as I know.
Should I wait for AMD's Ryzen launch?

Should I wait for AMD's Ryzen launch?

Announcement is within a month mostly. If you can, I suggest wait for reviews to come out. AMD might provide better multi threaded performance. But again software needs to be coded in such a manner.

Thank you for your reply.

I have no problem in waiting for AMD's new launch and would be happy to embrace it if it provides same processing power as i7 at lesser cost. The only thing that bothers me is that it would be "new", hence not tested. I do not change my workstation regularly and prefer to make it future-proof at least for 5 years, preferable more.

There is no question of overclocking.

Back