Audio Upgrade suggestions for Circumaural/Full Size cans (from Senn HD580)

TheMask

Skilled
Hey guys, its been ages since I've had Sennheiser HD580. It landed in my hands after previously owned by three audio gurus of TE!

It's served me well and still does. Only limitation being the headband & ear cushions have gotten loose. Headphone doesn't sit firmly - it slides down. Have tried to find a replacement headband, but couldn't get any online. It's run thru an amp (custom built but still does a good job).

Thinking of upgrading now. Haven't been following on latest trends and hence this call for help. Would like to see some recommendations of something equivalent/better than HD580s. If i were to put down my requirements, it probably would be something like this:
  • I am not a music guy (i don't listen to music much), it would be mostly for an occasional movie and mostly gaming.
  • Got to be comfortably (no cans that sit on the ears pls).
  • Budget is around $150 if sourcing from US or 5k if buying locally (its a weird logic on prices, but that's the way it is :p).

That's it. Help! :eek:hyeah:

If you are looking at better cans in clarity and detail in a $150 budget you will find none !

The HD580 used to be top tier cans and used to compete with the best of the best in its time.

What is your amp exactly. Amping makes a big difference to a 300 ohm can.

Perhaps the Fischer Audio FA-011. They're currently on pre-order and sell out pretty fast. Mine shipped out a while ago, hope to have them sometime this week or early next.

http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.p...&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

USD 118 + 20 (International shipping)

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR BASS HEADS, GAMERS, LATE NIGHT MOVIE FANS AND MUSIC FANS WHO ENJOY DEEP, TIGHT BASS, LIQUID MIDS AND AIRY HIGHS. A wonderful mistress to the FA-003 and/or FA-002W!!!

Entire review here - REVIEW: Fischer Audio FA-011 - OFF THE DEEP END!! - Head-Fi.org Community

^ hey thanks!! didn't know that.. lol.. just fiddled with it a bit, dismantled it and it had kinda worked. the metal strips are 2 pieces which is why bending in the middle was not working all this while!

Phew, looks like i can put the search on hold for the moment! :eek:hyeah:

Back