Upgrade the PC or PS 5 (Occasional gaming only)

PC upgrade or console

• Upgrade your PC

• Get a Gaming Console

Results are only viewable after voting.

MegaMind

Adept
Hi,

Its been a while since I was gaming and my decade old CPU sleeps in the loft with rare power-ups.
Dusted it off for some game time(GTA V) today and came to know that Rockstar has unplugged the support for Windows 7 & 8 since Jan'24.:oops:

I understand that its time for an upgrade and I don't want to get out of gaming completely.

The CPU configuration is as follows;
Processor: i5 2500K
board: Asus P8Z68-V
Cooler: Venomous X
RAM: RipjawsX 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming X 8GB
Sound card: Asus Xonar DX
SSD: Samsung 860 evo 1TB
HDD: 10TB (in 4 drives)
PSU: CoolerMaster V1000 gold
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X

I may be gaming a few hours a week, Should I upgrade my processor, motherboard, RAM & GPU or go for a console.

P.S: I know this is a never ending discussion/rival and PC has its advantages like upgrading what is needed & disadvantages like taking up it's own space, but since it is purely for gaming I'm confused.

depends on what type of games you play, your rig is still decent (apart from that CPU, how the hell is it not bottlenecking your 1070?) for AA/Indie games. And even AAA if you lower the settings. Consoles are little more hands off in the sense you dont need to keep track of every component and is easier to plug in to a TV and do casual couch gaming, but in converse, the games are more expensive and you need to pay for multiplayer.

depends on what type of games you play, your rig is still decent (apart from that CPU, how the hell is it not bottlenecking your 1070?) for AA/Indie games. And even AAA if you lower the settings. Consoles are little more hands off in the sense you dont need to keep track of every component and is easier to plug in to a TV and do casual couch gaming, but in converse, the games are more expensive and you need to pay for multiplayer.
I’m not much into multiplayer games.
Genre: open world games, racing, FPS

I overclock to 4.7GHz at 1920x1200 resolution while gaming so don’t see much bottleneck.

I’m not much into multiplayer games.
Genre: open world games, racing, FPS

I overclock to 4.7GHz at 1920x1200 resolution while gaming so don’t see much bottleneck.
if you are fine with game prices and are not willing to put much effort into piracy, a console it is for you. Specially if you just want plug-and-play couch gaming

You'll get approx 12k if you flip your CPU+Mobo+RAM+GPU+Sound Card, you can consider putting in around 20k more and build the following :

Used 3060Ti - 17-18k
12400F during sales - 7-8k
H610 motherboard - 6k
2 x 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4 - 3.5-4k used

Guys, I’m confused.
Upgrading to windows 11 possible with the intel 2nd gen cpu build?
I’ve read that tpm chip is required and is present only from 8th gen, is it true or am i missing something?

Also the checked for bottleneck in pc-builds.com at 4k for GTA V and found this.
1726729988830.png

How reliable are these calculators?

Back