Budget 31-40k Upgrade vital components

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Q: What is your budget?

• 40 K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

• CPU - AMD X4 955 BE
  • Motherboard - Gigabyte 785 GMT USB3
  • RAM - 16 GB (4x4) Gskill Sniper DDR3 1600 Mhz
  • GPU - Ati 5850 MSI Twin Frozr 2 Edition
  • Monitor - Dell G2410H
  • SMPS - Corsair VX550

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

• Monitor - Dell G2410H
  • SMPS - Corsair VX550
  • GPU - Ati 5850 MSI Twin Frozr2
  • RAM - GSKILL Sniper 16gb DDR3 1600 kit

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

• CPU - Intel Core i7
  • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard Z77
  • SATA SSD - 64/128 gb - OS drive

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

• Antec - P182
  • GPU - to something better later

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

• Mumbai/Ahmedabad/Delhi/Bangalore (Can pick up hardware from any of these cities as I need travel to these cities for office related work)
  • Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

• No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

• Gaming
  • Browsing
  • Desktop Processing
  • HTPC
  • Download rig, 24x7 operation
  • Watching HD movies
  • Linux

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

• Do not want to buy any Asus motherboard as I have heard the after sales service in India is pathetic

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

• FPS - Maxxed out @ 1080p
  • Racing - Maxxed out @ 1080p

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - 1920x1080
  2. Desktop - 1920x1080

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

• Yes

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

• Windows 7 64 bit
  • Linux - RHEL/Centos

A few queries I have:-
  • I've read that Intel CPUs - the new ones - come with liquid cooling kits from Intel - are these included with the cpu box or do these need to be bought separately?
  • Is the Ati 5850 is good enough for gaming at 1080p with all details set to max? I occasionally play games and that too only FPS and racing titles.
  • I want my cpu to last me for the next 3-5 years and will not be upgrading unless the system fails in some way. So I need the best performing most energy efficient and cost effective setup.
Please post your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Intel i7 2700K-19.5k
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO-12.5k OR ASUS Maximus V Gene-14.5k
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-2.1K OR Noctua NH-U12P SE2-3.9k[If you want to get it with the rig]
Corsair Force 3 120 GB-8.2k
Hope this helps.:)

^^^ isn't this the last gen core i7?
I want the Z77 + ivy bridge cpu setup. What about the liquid cooling setup from Intel?

You're right sunny27 i haven't suggested the ivy bridge proccy cause it'd go little out of budget hence here it is-
Intel Core i7 3820 ~18.5k
ASUS P9X79 ~19k
SSD Same as above.
If you want Z77 combo then you'd have to go with i5 3570K-17.5k +Asus Z77 Combo as the i7 has LGA 2011 Socket.
^^^ isn't this the last gen core i7?
I want the Z77 + ivy bridge cpu setup. What about the liquid cooling setup from Intel?

so let me get it right - the z77 doesn't work with the ivy bridge core i7 3820 cpu?

The Core i7 3820 is not part of the Ivy-Bridge family, it is Sandy-BridgeE, successor to Nehalem.

And this is what I will suggest --

Intel Core i5 3570k ~14500/-
ASUS P8Z77-M PRO ~11500/-
Corsair Force GT 120GB ~9500/- [outpaces the Corsair Force 3]

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

when do the core i7 ivy bridge cpus come out?

They are out already sunny, but they are exorbitantly priced, the Core i7 3770k retails for ~21000/-. Not worth it considering the i5 performs just as good in most day-to-day taks, can be over-clockd and is an excellent gaming chip.

The ivy bridge i7 will go way out of budget considering mobo prices and all so it's better to go with Ivy Bridge i5 'K' series with Z77 chipset than the others as you'll have extra cash to buy SSD and Cooler.

Some Ivy bridge prices - http://www.techenclave.com/systembuilder/exclusive-intel-ivy-bridge-processors-131043/
i7 3770K is 21k
i5 3570K is 14.5k.
6k more is a lot for 100MHz more and 2MB more cache.
Ivy bridge uses LGA 1155. So there is no increase in cost of motherboard for Ivy bridge i7 3770k.

3820, 3930K, 3960X are Sandy bridge-E which use LGA2011.
Future Ivy bridge-E might use LGA 2011.

SSD - Crucial M4. Available at PrimeABGB.
More reliable than Sandforce drives like Corsair Force series.

I am totally confused about this mess with these intel chipsets.
I want an Intel core i7 - 2600k/ i7 3820 / i7 3770 or a good i5 cpu for the next 3 years within 18k~20k max (occasional gaming at 1080p and no overclocking + energy efficient )
I want a decent compatible Gigabyte motherboard with atleast 5 sata slots usb3.0 micro atx form factor
I want a decent liquid cooling system -- can anyone shed light on the intel branded liquid cooling systems?

If you're going to overclock the best deal is going for i5 3570K-17.5k OR i7 3770K-20.5k
It'd be better if you go for Asus Maximus V Gene-16k,Asus UEFI Bios,Great ocing ability of Maximus V Gene and with M-ATX form factor it's a perfect motherboard,Still if you want a gigabyte one then-GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-D3H-9k but i'd still recommend Maximus V.
Unfortunately Intel isn't into liquid cooling as well as other companies,For cooler you can go for Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO-2.2k OR Noctua NH-U12P SE2-3.9k
I am totally confused about this mess with these intel chipsets.
I want an Intel core i7 - 2600k/ i7 3820 / i7 3770 or a good i5 cpu for the next 3 years within 18k~20k max (occasional gaming at 1080p and no overclocking + energy efficient )
I want a decent compatible Gigabyte motherboard with atleast 5 sata slots usb3.0 micro atx form factor
I want a decent liquid cooling system -- can anyone shed light on the intel branded liquid cooling systems?

@sunny27 If your sole purpose is gaming, then why i7 ? Just grab i5-2500k/i5-2570k, and it will be more than good for everything. i7 doesn't provides any significant improvement over i5 at least in gaming arena. It does takes leap in highly multi-threaded or purely CPU based apps. If you really want to max out games, club an i5 + GTX 670/7850, and you're good for everything.

See this: AnandTech - Bench - CPU

i7-3770k over i5-2500k provides hardly 5-20 % increment in gaming performance. Thing is games are more dependent on GPU than CPU. Some games use less CPU, some more, so more or less the effect is neutral if your dGPU is powerful enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not go for i5 3570K 3rd gen than 2500K,It's better to go for 3570K.
sunny27 If your sole purpose is gaming, then why i7 ? Just grab i5-2500k/i5-2570k, and it will be more than good for everything. i7 doesn't provides any significant improvement over i5 at least in gaming arena. It does takes leap in highly multi-threaded or purely CPU based apps. If you really want to max out games, club an i5 + GTX 670/7850, and you're good for everything.

See this: AnandTech - Bench - CPU

i7-3770k over i5-2500k provides hardly 5-20 % increment in gaming performance. Thing is games are more dependent on GPU than CPU. Some games use less CPU, some more, so more or less the effect is neutral if your dGPU is powerful enough.

^I never preferred 2500k over 3570k, just mentioned both to justify benches/comparison. Also, 3570k doesn't gives you really anything worthy to opt it against i5-2500k. I don't know the price difference, but if one can go for 3570k, he should prefer it; newer architecture. But the bottomline is you don't really gain loose anything with i5-2500k, or gain anything with 3570k.

I currently use an MSI twin froz2 edition of the Ati 5850. will upgrade to something more powerful later. Is the existing card is good enough for a year atleast to get good frame rates at 1080p?

So this is intel i7 2600k @ 18k is good enough?

Don't know much about intel - been using amd for the last 10 years.

Why not go for i5 3570K 3rd gen than 2500K,It's better to go for 3570K.

Ditto

Till about a month ago we did not have a choice or the option of IB procs - (now that some of them have started trickling in.... and moreover prices have not been reduced majorly as yet for SB procs) ..... so it does not make sense to go in for an older gen chip that is "slightly priced higher too".

Moreover if you are not going to OC - then why go in for Liquid Cooling (use Corsair or Noctua Air-Cooler's - as the stock cooler on the IB is'nt all that great & yet you will have the option to OC, if ever you desire to in future).

Cheers

Back