Budget 41-50k Upgrading 10yr old pc for gaming

reachabin09

Recruit
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on upgrading my 10-year-old PC (i7 2600k+GTX960), which has been my workhorse (for 3D animation and editing) for a long time. Currently, I have a Dell workstation provided by my office, so mainly I'm looking for a gaming PC that can occasionally handle some freelancing. My requirement is to run GTA VI, Red dead redemption 2 and similar games smoothly in 1080p. Also, I want to keep whatever I can from old pc (cabinet, ssd, hdd, monitor etc) due to budget constants. Another option I was thinking to get a PS5 so I like to keep the total cost under 50K.

1. What is your budget?
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel I7 2600k
    • Motherboard - Asus P8P67 pro
    • GPU - Nvidia GTX 960
    • RAM - HyperX 8gb
    • Monitor - Dell E2720HS
    • PSU - Coolermaster GX650
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Dell E2720HS
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU
    • Motherboard
    • GPU
    • RAM
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Cabinet
    • PSU (if current one is not supporting)
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Cochin
    • Online or Offline
  7. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Video editing
    • Animation
  8. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • No
  9. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • GTA VI
    • Red dead redemption 2
    • Microsoft Flight Simulator
    • Racing Sim
  10. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. 1080p
  11. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Maybe
  12. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10

Thanks all

Just something to get you started in your search. You can save a bit if you went with an AMD GPU or used parts. The only reason I suggest Nvidia is possible 3D type workloads you may be having...

I have a friend who is a system integrator in Trivandrum. Can DM you his contact if you would like an offline option. He may not have the same exact models or pricing, but might be able to make good recommendations and arrange alternate parts.

Last edited:
Just something to get you started in your search. You can save a bit if you went with an AMD GPU or used parts. The only reason I suggest Nvidia is possible 3D type workloads you may be having...

I have a friend who is a system integrator in Trivandrum. Can DM you his contact if you would like an offline option. He may not have the same exact models or pricing, but might be able to make good recommendations and arrange alternate parts.
Yes, please share the contact details. I'm not up to date with the latest gen components, so not sure whether to go AMD or Intel. I'm open to get a used GPU but still searching to find which one to get.

I'm not up to date with the latest gen components, so not sure whether to go AMD or Intel.

Here's the config I recommend:

Ryzen 5 5600: 12.5k

MSI B550m pro-vdh wifi motherboard + msi 650W tier C PSU: 12k (sometimes gets to this price in a combo deal in Amazon, you have to keep checking) tho I don't recommend that mobo if you wanna overclock. Oh, and it needs a bios update to use that CPU.

Ram 3200/3600mhz 16GB : 4.5k

SSD 1 TB: 6k

Cabinet: 3k

As for GPU if you buy used you can get a good gup in that 12k like a rx 6600, but if you want brand new, at that price you can get a gtx 1650.

Edit: just saw, you can use the existing PSU so you can get just the mobo at 9.5k. And you can remove the case too, so you can squeeze a brand new rx 6600 or a used 3060.

Last edited:
If you are willing to set your budget to 60k, and you could live without ray tracing, check out this build
In this build, you could overclock the memory modules but not the CPU. You could pair it with a used 1660 super (~8-8.5K) or a RX 6600 (costs around 13-15K). Both are great value for money cards which you can get from here or in other used markets.
Gaming benchmarks -
As for as repurposing your old parts, apart from your monitor and your cabinet, it's pretty hard/not advisable to repurpose stuff from your old build. So, if you are willing to use your old cabinet, you could save around 2.6K in the above build. If budget is a major constraint, you could try and sell some of the parts here.

If your budget is fixed and you are willing to sacrifice some RGB, overclocking and some performance, check out these builds:
Intel build

AMD build
(or)

As ususal, you could pair it with a preferred GPU (go for AMD GPUs if you plan on setting up a hackintosh. Note: In macOS versions above Sierra, NVDIA GPUs won't work due to driver issues). Good luck!

Back